Prague restaurants

Search

Prague restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague restaurants

We will be in Prague in September on tour but have free nights for dinner on our own. We'd like suggestions for places featuring local fare, perhaps moderate to a little more pricey (if it's really good!). We're open to any suggestions for people's favorites.
Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:52 PM

We loved the Perle de Prague located in the Dancing Building. It has a wonderful view of the river in a fun building. Although it's not typical Czech it's French cusine, if you make your reservation for sunset you won't be disappointed.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mcgeezer, we'll definitely look into Perle de Prague.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:34 PM

Look into: Restaurant David in Mala Strana recommended on the site for czech food but I didn't make it there.

Nebozizek- halfway up the funicular railway to Petrin Park- white tablecloth fancy, awesome views, reservation necessary.

Kampa Park or Hergetova Cihelna- same owner, under charles bridge
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:12 PM

mompea: Kampa Park was excellent. Reservations are necessary. Continental cuisine. Ask for thr lower (riverside) dinning room. Have a great trip.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Restaurant David is just such a wonderful experience, I can't think of a better place.
We spent $63 for 2 with 3 courses, wine and tip. I can still tell you what I ate:
Mesclin salad wit white asparagus and thin duck breast slices. Then their specialty: pork tenderloin finished at the table with the most amazing sauce of cream, brandy, almonds.
We went twice. At night, the area is quiet but safe. It's down the street from the American Embassy. We took a cab the first time, but walked home and on the next visit.
You will love Prague, and this lovely restaurant.
For others, search my name and Prague for a review I wrote on our 2004 trip.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:34 AM

What is the dress code for Perle de Prague?? Jacket and tie for the men?? Could I get away with chinos, button-down shirt, Gucci loafers? I was trying to pack lightly. I am travelling with my mother, a professional shopper, and I know she will be shoving all her purchases into my luggage to bring back home. (In Cambodia, I had to throw out clothing so she could put her souvenirs into my carry-on.)

Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM

I'm a fan of restaurant David. www.restaurant-david.cz

also Clementinum. Recently named Prague?s best new restaurant by Conde Nast Traveler magazine.
Platnerska 9, Old Town. Open daily
This is quite near the Charles Bridge, a little bistro with modern décor and soothing, classic rock playing on the sound system. Menu included Czech specialties like duck and ?grandmother?s soup?, and also more modern dishes. Casual dress. You could also spend half that and have a very good meal. All main courses were under 500 KC. Excellent desserts.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:29 PM

I just got back from a trip to Prague today.

If you don't want the ritzy expensive stuff and want to go for more of a fun, hearty pub-style meal, try U Medvidku... Its a pub that has some great hearty czech plates, we got a big platter for about 1000Kr that had all kinds of dumplings, roasted duck, and some pork. I liked it alot, especially washed down with some Budweiser Budvar (the original budweiser)...which, just to add, I believe is a better beer than the highly popular Pilsner Urquell.

We also ate at a place off of Charles Square in the new town...similar hearty czech meal, but had a really great pork and beef portion on it... Can't remember the name at the moment though.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:29 PM

We liked U Zlatych Nuzek in Kampa, but it may lack the high price you're seeking ;-).
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 12:03 PM

I concur with the recommendations for Restaurant Club David and Hergetova Cihelna. Kampa Park's outdoor deck is under construction currently but will probably be done before September. We made reservations by email before leaving for our trip and they seemed necessary in both David and Cihelna. We also enjoyed Le Terroir that we found by chance when we were wandering around. The food, service and atmosphere was wonderful. www.leterior.cz
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Perle de Prague, Kampa Park, and Hergetova Cihelna are all excellent, but they are not places that specialize in local fare.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM

My favorite are "Flambe" (gorgeous ambiance - in a medieval, vaulted cellar, French cuisine with impeccable service and fabulous wine-list) and "U Malirzu" (sp?!) (more traditional, haute-Czech cuisine).

If you are younger, hip, want to be be-Guccied and expect your co-diners to be as well , then The Duplex is the place for you! Fabulous Asian fusion cuisine at a superb penthouse location on Wenceslas square, with a 360* terrace! You can see all of Prague on palm of your hand! Upstairs is a lounge-club open after-hours...
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM

I like nebozezik up on the hill overlooking the whole city. casual but good food.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:04 AM

I concur with an earlier post about U Medvidku. Good food, good Budvar beer, budget prices. I have eaten there a number of times on different trips. Also it is located about a block from Tesco and tram stops.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:21 AM

The Ugly Duckling II (U Modre Kachnicky II) is the smaller and more intimate restaurant of its famous sister and the perfect place to sample the best of local dishes. The menu leans heavily on game; the wild boar melts in the mouth and other specialities include Fallow-deer Médaillons with Madeira Sauce on Toast Flambéed with Gin, and Hare with Cream Sauce, Grapes and Dumplings.

Loved it.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:53 AM

Think "modre" means "blue"
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:28 PM

Pants you're right - what a slip!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:40 PM

For those that are on a budget and want a more moderate priced restaurant, I like the following restraunts. I like the Ztraty Nalezy at Vinohradska 208/14. It is the street behind the Museum coming from Vaclavske namesti. I normaly get the chicken breast with cream, honey and raisins and a side order of roasted potatoes. It is very good food. It is about 1 block up on this street from the museum. Some Czech celebrites come to this restaurant.
I also like the Sklep Restaurant on Seifertova. It is near the main train station. It is at the tram stop Husinecka. Both of these Restaurants are outside the tourist area, but not far. They both have English speaking waiters and Englist menus. Both of these Restaurants were recommended by local people.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Well,
I've been there for a year, and have eaten at a HUGE variety of restaurants. The more pricey ones (which are still VERY resonable) are Kampa Park and Pravda. If you can only do one, go with Kampa Park. It's right under the Charles Bridge and they have outdoor seating, so you can sit on the river and enjoy the view as you eat. Great food as well. Pravda is very nice, but for your money, you'll be stuck inside and the view is nothing. It's in the area called Starometska(spelling???). My all time favorite restaurant in prague no one knows about. It's traditional Czech (modern) at GREAT prices. When my parents came to visit, we went to dinner with 12 or 13 people, and including wine and drinks and appetizers and everything, only spent about $150. It's called Quedos. It's in a kind of random area, so I would suggest taking a cab, but if you insist on going by metro, you take the Green line to a stop called Jiriho Z Podobrad (once again, spelling) and then walk down the main street and turn right on Kubelikova. It's AWESOME; small, quant, and you won't find too many non-czechs in there, which is cool. Enjoy!