Prague or Salzburg?

Search

Prague or Salzburg?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague or Salzburg?

My husband,13 y.o. son and myself are planning to go to Vienna next March (spring break) for 5 days . We are staying for a total for 9 days in Europe. Which do you think would a 13 yo enjoy better of the two above -mentioned cities? Pls. advise.We are planning to fly open-jaw. Thanks.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Although Salzburg is GORGEOUS, it is a more sophisticated city. For your 13 year-old, I would choose Prague. The compactness of the sites and the Renaissance festival 'feel' to Prague would probably be more appealing to a preteen.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:58 AM

Oh--I forgot--if your son is a "Sound of Music" fan, the tours from downtown Salzburg are cheesy-fun. Nearby German salt-mines are interesting. I guess it depends on how much your son can take.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:58 AM
rex

At the risk of thinking "we" know anything about your son and his interests - - since all we know is his age - - I will vote in favor of Prague. Simply because it is much larger (by 5- to 10-fold), and there are more things that might appeal to him. I like both; been to Prague once (three nights) and Salzburg three times (24-48 hour stays). Salzburg strikes me as having more "adult"-oriented shopping (in the sense of boring to a kid, not in the sense of "adult bookstore&quot.

Perhaps tell us how/why you chose Vienna as the cornerstone of this trip (family ties? are you German speakers? devotees of opera, theater, art or music? etc) - - and it might help to get you a better answer.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Intrepid

Both are wonderful cities but Prague (at least the part most people visit) has a much more medieval look and feel to it...and it is, as folks have said, much larger than Salzburg. Both can easily be reached from Vienna by train which you probably already know. And he might enjoy traveling by train in and of itself...more relaxed...more fun..and certainly "different" than what he's probably used to here: the CAR!
In EITHER place, if the kiddo enjoys marionettes I would HIGHLY recommend the Marionette theatres, particularly the one in Salzburg. Also in Salzburg he might enjoy the "wasserspiele" gardens at the Helbrun (sp?)which are great fun for young and old.
If it is to be suits of armor, BIG castles, and so forth then Prague might be a better choice.
After Vienna which comes across as rather sophistocated, Prague will seem more "other-worldly." Whatever you decide I hope the trip is a wonderful one for all of you.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

No, we are not German speakers. But I have been to Vienna many years ago and really loved it!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I think we'll go to Prague. My son loves armories, castles, etc. I've been to Salzburg many years ago but not to Prague.