Reload this Page >

Prague or Budapest...

Search

Prague or Budapest...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 05:37 AM
gloria

Prague or Budapest...

Hello, Fodorites! <BR>We are having trouble deciding between Prague or Budapest for a short 3 day trip from our stay in Vienna. We've been reading our books, visiting websites, and still can't decide! Any thoughts out there on which you would choose? We will be there mid'March. <BR>Obrigado!

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 06:17 AM
s.fowler

You're going to get both recommended. And either will be wonderful. Having said that let me recommend Budapest for several reasons. First of all the train ride is 3 hours rather than 5. Second, Hungarian culture [art, food language, architecture] have a different "accent" than you will see in the more westernised [read germanicised] Prague. Prague's center is drop dead gorgeos, but I enjoy the different accent and the grittiness of Budapest. There have been some great travel stories about things to see and do in Budapest on central europe online. I'll try to locate a couple of them for you and post back. One was the sites connected with the 1956 uprising. You can also take the railway known as the HEV to a small charming town named Szentendre -- only 45 minutes aways - if you feel the need for some more charm. And bes ure to buy paprika in a grocery store. The packets make cheap, packable and delicious souvenirs and presents.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 06:35 AM
s.fowler

Another reason to choose Budapest as a complement to Vienna is that Budapest was the "second capital" of the Austro-Hungarian empire. It's very instructive to see that history from a different perspective.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 06:58 AM
gloria

Exactly right, Mr/Ms Fowler. We would normally rent a car and get lost in Austria for a week or two, thereby finding those wonderful villages and quieter paths. We have chosen not to do that this year, but yearn for that same type of experience. Your first post addresses exactly the information I am looking for. <BR>For a perspective on us, my husband taught world history for 13 years, and I am in interior design with an art background. <BR>Please continue... <BR>Merci <BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:12 AM
dan woodlief

Prague is one of my favorite cities. If I had to pick one to visit, it would be Prague. Still, I would likely choose Budapest from Vienna (actually I did choose Vienna from Budapest, but I had already been to Prague). The distance alone would decide it for me, since I think you can't go wrong with either. S. Fowler's description hits it on the head. I think Budapest is somewhat less touristy, although I am not sure that matters so much in March. The historical relationship between the two cities should interest your husband. He would probably enjoy the military history museum (find the cannon on the backside of the castle complex, and you will be there). When I was there a few years ago, the museum had excellent exhibits on World War II and the '56 uprising. Some buildings still show bullet holes from both experiences. Budapest does have interesting architecture, especially St. Mathias and the Parliament building, but it is hard to beat Prague in that regard.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:21 AM
mike

S.Fowler is right. It's hard to decide. Prague is definitely more westernized than Budapest and the sights are one kotch above. Food, drinks,equal. Shopping goes to Prague. Opera's Budapest. The people great in both.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Terri

Having recently traveled to both cities (from Vienna as well), I would say it's a tough decision. I agree with everything said about Hungary, but I enjoyed Prague very much too. If you appreciate art and architecture, you will probably love Prague. I found the atmosphere more relaxed than Budapest, and it was easier to walk everywhere I wanted to go. I had no problems in either city, and usually blend in pretty well wherever I go, but <BR>I found the people in Prague a little easier to talk to than in Hungary -- not a language issue, but they seemed less suspicious of westerners. Even their body language was more relaxed. <BR> <BR>There are short trips you can take outside of Prague, but you can easily spend 3 days just exploring on foot. The museums and synagogues are not to be missed -- I was really moved by my visit to the old ghetto. <BR> <BR>By the way, if you do go to Budapest, stay off the Chain Bridge at night! Rip-off artists posing as police will accost you. <BR> <BR>Both cities are relatively cheap, but a stay at a Westernized hotel will cost about the same as in any big city. As far as food goes, we ate soup and goulash in all three cities and it wasn't bad.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 10:13 AM
s.fowler

Here are some sites: <BR>National History Museum: <BR>http://origo.hnm.hu/english/ottlap1.html <BR>Don't miss the exhibit on the 1st floor. [that's 2nd floor for us-US-ers] <BR> <BR>From Central Europe Online <BR>Budapest's Jewish Quarter: http://www.centraleurope.com/travel/.../ss981901.php3 <BR>The 1956 Revolution in Budapest: http://www.centraleurope.com/travel/.../ss963401.php3 <BR>Budapest Trams: http://www.centraleurope.com/travel/.../ss961901.php3 <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have other questions.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 10:20 AM
s.fowler

Ooops. Here are a couple of Szentendre sites: <BR>http://www.centraleurope.com/travel/.../ss963901.php3 <BR>http://www.moricz.c3.hu/Szentendre/index_en.html <BR> <BR>And some of my pictures. [and no, the Elvira is NOT you-know-who.] <BR>http://www.ntsource.com/~dhfsbf19/europe98/szenten.htm <BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:54 PM
s.fowler

Bringing this up so Gloria can find it.

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 02:17 AM
gloria

Mr/MS(?) Fowler, you are too kind. I shall very much enjoy these sites. <BR>Thank you for your graciousness. <BR>Gloria

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 03:52 AM
gloria

Ms. Fowler, <BR>We very much admire and appreciate your sharing of the pictures to Budapest and <BR>Szentendre! I am leaning to Budapest as my choice, while my husband seems inclined towards Prague. Well, all the better, it just means we'll have to return next year! <BR>If you have an hotel recommendation in Budapest (yes, I will get my way) I would be very grateful if you would pass it along. <BR>Many thanks, <BR>Gloria <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 04:29 AM
jhm

Whether or not you stay there in Budapest, DEFINITELY go to the steam baths at the Hotel Gellert. It is an experience and a half. The hotel is very good too. <BR> <BR>I think you can't go wrong with either Prague or Budapest. I would lean towards Budapest, though, ONLY if you think chances are good that you will make it to Prague another time. If you don't, then you must go to Prague.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 07:55 AM
Art

Hi Gloria, I was in both in Sept 99 and loved both, although Budapest is my favorite. It is the most beautiful city that I've seen. The buildings are in better shape in Prague as it had no war damage, but the setting on the Danube is one to behold in Budapest. I did not stay in a hotel in Budapest, rather I stayed with a retired chemist and his wife on a hill overlooking the city. Each morning I would have my coffee on the balcony while gazing over the city. They rent a room with private bath for $40/night including a wonderful breakfast. If your interested e-mail me and I'll send you their address and phone. Dr Fleps has also published a pamphlet of 12 walkd you can do in the city. I managed 11 of them and it really kept me busy. <BR> <BR>Art <BR>