Prague/Munich/Berlin Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip to Germany the first 2 weeks of June.
We are flying directly to Prague and come back from Berlin. We already got our airline tickets but we are trying to figure out our Itinerary.

-2 nights in PRAGUE
night train into Munich.

-2 nights in MUNICH.
from Munich, rent a car and drive to Berchtesgaden in the afternoon. Any suggestions where to stop in our way?

-2 nights in BERCHTESGADEN.
Drive to GARMISCH in the morning.

-2 nights in GARMISCH.
Where should we stay as a base town to visit this area? OBERMMERGAU or MITTENWALD?

From here drive up the Romantic Road stop in couple of towns and end in ROTHENBERG.

-1 night in ROTHENBERG

Can I drop off the car in ROTHENBURG and take the train to Berlin the next morning? Or do I need to go to a different town?

Our trip ends in Berlin. We stay there for cople days before coming back home.

Does this Itinerary sounds reasonable?Does this Itinerary sounds good? Should I do something different? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Luz
[email protected]

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Luz- sounds like a great trip! On your trip from Munich south be sure to stop at the Wieskirche and Ludwig's castles. It's a toss up between Mittenwald an O'gau - though I think O'gau has a touch more charm. You can take the train from Rothenburg to Berlin, but it will require atleast 3 changes. You might consider driving to Wurzburg to drop off the car, spending a few hours touring that city, then catching an ICE to Berlin with only 1 change in Gottingen. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:49 PM

I, too, like Oberammergau better than Mittenwald. However, there is not much to do in Garmische. It is very AMERICANIZED, with a Wendy's and McDonald's. You could take a trip to see the tacky Neuschwanstein. The scenery is fantastic and it is a very relaxing area. If you are the "pokey" sort, you will like Garmisch, Oberammergau, and Mittenwald.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Is there another area that you rather go other than the Garmisch Area? Maybe I just spend 1 night in this area and an additional night in the Romantic Road or somewhere between Rothenberg and Germany. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:12 AM

lucy- your itinerary is fine the way it is. Drive from Munich to Berchtesgaden and explore the area - Konigsee, Kehlstein, and a day trip to Salzburg. Then follow the Alpenstrasse to Oberammergau passing through neat little towns (Reit im Winkl, Bayrischzell, Tegernsee, Bad Tolz)and stopping for lunch. Should take you a leisurely 4-5 hrs. You then can use O'gau as a base for exploring Linderhof and Ludwig's castles, Wieskirche, Garmisch, Zugspitze, Kloster Ettal, and even Innsbruck. From O'gau take the Romantic Road to Rothenberg with a lunch stop in Dinklesbuhl or Nordlingen, arriving RodTin the afternoon after the tourist rush has left. Tour the town and take the Night Watchman's Tour. In the morning continue on the Romantic Road to Wurzburg, drop off the car and tour the delightful city making sure to see the old town and the Residence, and if time permits - the fortress. Have lunch and a glass of Frankenwein and take an afternoon train to Berlin. Enjoy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I am trying to make reservation in the internet (www.bahn.de)for a sleeper train from Prague to Munich and I am a little lost. How do I make sure I get a 1st class sleeperette for 2 people only? I don't want to be travelling with strangers in the same cabin at night. I need some help!!!! Please!!!