Reload this Page >

Prague & Budapest Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Bill

How far in advance can and should reservations be made at popular restaurants in these two cities? Will be in Prague May 15-22 and Budapest 5/22-29.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Gilly

In Budapest it is enough to book the day before on week days, at weekends perhaps a few days earlier will suffice.<BR><BR>I live here and usually I book on the morning, rarely have trouble.<BR><BR>Many excellent restaurants, avoid touristy places though.<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Barry

Hi Bill -<BR><BR>Just returned from both cities last month.... reservations were not necessary... we just got the front desk to call ahead that day for us...<BR><BR>In Budapest DO NOT MISS dinner at Fatal... just know that they bring you way more food than you are probably going to eat! Try the ham and potato soup and the kebab and the "boiled rump" .. all excellent!<BR><BR>Barry

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:41 AM
pedro

Budapest, don't miss the New York Cafe.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Gilly

<BR>Have to agree with Bill about Fatal,(in Hungarian a 'Fatal' is a wooden boad on which food is served, all dishes come prepared in this manner.) although I am biased as I live just above it and it is a regular haunt.<BR><BR>It is just off the quiet end of Vaci Street, and gets busy Friday nights. Portions are enormous as Barry says. The Goulash soup, as a starter, is a main course, the Kebab that Barry refers to is the 'Alabardos' kebab, comes on a skewer. Try the Gundel Palacsinta (pancake) with walnut/chocolate/brandy and set fire to.<BR><BR>Pre dinner drinks at 'Fat Mo's jazz club' just round the corner, great cellar bar.<BR><BR>I would also try Cafe Kor (Sas Utca - Utca means street) For this you need to book. Really decent Hungarian/Euro fare.<BR><BR>Many more recommendations if you want them! Probably bump into you in Fatals!<BR>