Reload this Page >

Prague & Budapest in August??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 04:12 AM
Jackie

<BR>Short notice... thinking of going to Prague/Budapest in early August-- any advice? How many days in each city is best? Nearby places outside cities to see/hike/bike? (Is it at *all* romantic???) Pls send all / any tips.... even if it's bad news! Thx.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 09:04 AM
Helena

I don't think you'll be disappointed in Prague at all, and that's more than just hometown pride talking! August is a nice time of year to visit this area, both cities you mentioned. There are lots of great places to see. Spend three or four days in each city, and I'd probably lean more towards Prague than Budapest. Do both, but spend more time in Prague. From Prague, go to Cesky Krumlov, Hluboka, over to Telc, then down to Budapest. You can always do a train/bike combo. You can bring bikes on trains, get off whenever, ride to the next village, and get another train. Schedules might get tricky, but don't sweat it, it always works out somehow. Prague is definitely romantic, no doubt about it. Cheesy tourist places abound like anywhere else, and there are ugly post-communist relics, but that's part of the uniqueness of the place. I'm always stunned by Prague right around sunset on clear days. Wow. Oh, and not much is air-conditioned, but it's ok, you don't need to move too fast when on vacation. And from the mention of the bikes, you sound like sporty people. Hey, maybe a nice forum reader named Richard will respond - he and his wife rode their bikes all around this area not too long ago.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 01:44 PM
tom

Visited both cities last Spring and am already planning return trip for next Spring. I believe that they are uniquely different cities. Budapest still appears to be in the early stages of recovery from 40 years of communism.Buildings are much dirtier as they haven't been cleaned for ages. It appears that capitalism has been somewhat slower in taking hold, although they are learning as evidenced by the market stalls on the Danube. The castle district is nice. When there, notice the unique architecture of the Hilton Hotel, the cathedral is nice and the art museums contain s a lot of nice works. The old Jewish Synagogue is a must. The National Museum is a must and it will give you a great insight into the Hungarian country and history. Prices are reasonable. Prague, on the other hand is outstanding, fascinationg and the old town square is what you would expect if Disney were to do a town square. What a place, food is cheap, beers are the best, the city has incredible feel and personality. From the Powder Tower to the Castle, you will be enchanted. Wonderful city, plan to stay there at least three days, while Budapest can settle for 2 . Budapest you will remember, Prague you will remember from the heart!