Prague

Jul 20th, 2001, 10:20 AM
erica

Prague

I will be in Prague for a week and was curious as to which area is the most central. I have heard mixed comments as to what side of the Charles Bridge to stay on. Does anyone have a comment and/or a hotel suggestion?

Jul 20th, 2001, 10:58 AM

Sorry erica, no answer, but wanted to move a REAL post above some of the nonsense so it doesn't get buried.

Jul 20th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Lee

Erica, We stayed on the Old Town (Stare' Mesto) side at the Cloister Inn on Konviktska, about four blocks from the Charles Bridge and maybe eight to old Town square. It is a good hotel and very reasonable (most everything is). The Mala Strana or "Lesser Quarter", which is just across the bridge is situated closer to Hradcany and Prague Castle, but farther from Old Town. Which is better is hard to say, but we would easily choose the Cloister again.

Prague is not all that big and we covered most of it on foot. If you'd like a copy of our trip notes, just email me.

Jul 20th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Deb

Erica, The Mala Strana side is quieter and very pretty but there was probably more to see in old town (stare Mesto). There are not as many hotels in Mala Strana so they are a little more expensive. I stayed in Old Town and would choose that again but spent plenty of time in Mala Strana. There are plenty of hotels in Prague, not knowing what you are looking for makes it hard to make a recommendation. I went budget at Dum U Krale Jiriho but had a great room and was very happy with it. Some people would want more luxury.

Jul 20th, 2001, 09:09 PM
topper

for the same reasons as [email protected]

Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:20 PM
Christina

I stayed in Old town and consider that most central to more things. If you are definitely going, why don't you buy a map and look to see? There are good ones at map/book stores, I bought one by a german company I like (Hallweg or something). Also, a good guidebook should have a map so you can see. I planned on visiting some areas on far edges or outside Prague, so Old Town was definitely more central for that (rail stations, metro lines, etc). Mala Strana is a nice area but it's not as central to me.

Jul 24th, 2001, 06:49 AM
erica

Thanks for all the input. It is appreciated. I have a map and I am staying near the castle.

Erica

Jul 24th, 2001, 11:25 PM
xxx

I do have restaurant suggestions: Kampa Park (my favourite), Pravda and Barock all with extremely good food and service - but not cheap!!