Reload this Page >

Prag or Budapest? Or both??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 01:12 AM
Karl W.

I am in Vienna for business during next week for two days, then I have 4-5 days free to spend as I wish. My first instinct was to spend this time only in Prague. However, after having read some intriguing stories on this board about Budapest I am considering to include a stop there as well. Is this overdoing it considering that I have only a few days? Which city should I then chose (Budapest or Prague), if only one or the other? I will be travelling by train. <BR>I primarily want to experience the local culture and cuisine as well as the ambience of "the golden days", this can be found in both places of course... If anyone reads this in time, I leave on Dec. 5, I would be most grateful for your advice.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 06:20 AM
Dave

Having just spent a few days in each place, I can tell you that they are each worth five days, if you see everything that is there. If you will not be back for a while, then see both, although this might be impractical since they are in opposite directions from Vienna. If you have another chance to return soon, then I would choose Budapest.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 06:57 AM
s.fowler

What a choice <BR>It is 5 hours by train to Prague and only 3 hours by train to Budapest, approximately. <BR>Prague is gorgeous, to my mind the center of the town is almost like a disney version of things. And the German [i.e. non-eastern] influence is very apparent. <BR>Budapest is grittier and not always easy.. but I love the difference in culture from western europe. <BR>If you write me I'll be ahppy to share my information on Budapest with you, including hotels, restaurants etc... If you do a search here for 'budapest hotel victoria' some of my earlier posts may pop up. <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 10:32 AM
Patrick

Both really great cities, but of the two for a short visit I'd choose Prague.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 12:17 PM
Linda

That is a tough choice but you can't do both. I loved Prague and Budapest. I think though Prague is close to Berlin, Krakow, and other cities. Budapest is close to Vienna and Zagreb. Your chances of being close to Prague again are greater than Budapest and for that reason, I would say Budapest. Also, the contrast between Vienna and Budapest would be interesting. May I recommend a B&B, whose owner can tell you all about the "golden age"--Dr. & Mrs. Walter Fleps. For $40/night for 2, you get a private bath, bedroom with terrace view of city, and very ample breakfast. They are very nice and he has published several walking tours. You take a bus to the metro & 3 stops you are downtown. His phone number is 011-361-340-1108 and address is Bogar utca 20b, 1022 Budapest, Hungary. Everything is very inexpensive--symphony was between $13 and $1.50, nice meal for 2 with bottle of wine less than $20. <BR>If you choose Prague, which is beautiful, don't miss the Charles Bridge at night. Try www.avetravel.cz for list of hotels/penzions with descriptions and some pictures.