COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Power Ports on planes

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Power Ports on planes

We'll have a "cigarette lighter" style powerport on our seat. Daughter wants to use it for laptop. I guess I can buy these at Radio Shack, or somewhere? Do you know how much they cost?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM

It varies. You have to make sure the buy the right one for the laptop. Also, look at the required power of the laptop. One of mine is a big 17" wide screen, that requires lots of watts, and my favorite airline power ports only supply ~75 watts of continous power, so I can't use that particular laptop during travels. Just because the same power adapter will work on your car power does not mean it will work on the airplanes.

Good place to do some research:

http://www.lindelectronics.com/

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Sorry, I mean, I guess I can buy the adaptors....
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, AAFF, I always appreciate your airline advice. The lady at AA told me it was "15 volts" (which doesn't mean anything to me). Daughter has an IBM ThinkPad R51.

Oh my, just looked at that link; if I'm looking at the right thing, it's $129. I was hoping this was some little $15 gadget.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM

I'm not saying you can't get one somewhat cheaper, but it's definitely not a $15 gadget.

Look at your daughter's laptop and see what kind of wattage it needs. AA power ports will only supply 75 watts max. The adapter may work off your car but if the laptop needs anything above 75 watts, it will shutdown as soon as you plug it in. (it's a safety feature so nothing to worry about, but still, if it does not work, it does not work).

Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:05 PM

I wouldn't plug anything that cost more than $10 into an American plane. They really aren't very good at anything the do.

Give the kid a book.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM

huh???
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:27 PM

Her laptop pulls 72 watts, so a standard car adaptor should work fine.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM

Thanks Gardyloo,

that settles it. Now the OP needs to look for a bargain priced DC power supply.

www.igo.com is another good company.

Don't give up on Radio Shack.

Good luck, just don't listen to useless advice from some around here, as in the one few posts earlier.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM

In 1979, my wife and I worked at the American complex in Tulsa.

Mme. Robespierre's job was in the record-keeping division of aircraft maintenance.

We were there on May 25, 1979, when an ill-conceived maintenance shortcut "pioneered" at AAL killed 273 people.

Trust me, this is just one that they noticed. The hurry-up, cost-cutting fervor is unabated.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM

1979? and 2006?

good one.........
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM

I don't know what your point might be, but mine is that American always has and still does everything the cheapest way it will barely work. The intervening years haven't changed a thing. I know, because friends still work there.

I have put in many hundreds of thousands of air miles since then, but none of them on that half-baked lame excuse for a carrier. I quit them the year of the accident when the cover-up began.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
Neopolitan

And how many other airlines have had a "maintenance" failure since 1979? And how many more problems has AA had? And how many airlines have gone bankrupt or been on the verge of doing so? And how many employees do you know in other airline maintenance departments who say their airlines never "cut corners"?

I fly American almost exclusively as it is the only airline that seems to know and understand the term "customer service".

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM

You probably need more than just an adapter; you need an inverter. Take alook on eBay - I bought one of these a couple years ago for about $30. A couple weeks ago I picked up a power inverter at Costco for under $20 that will work with either the typical airplane or car cigarette lighter type sockets (iMobile, by Vecotr Mfg). It has a socket for standard a three prong plug as well as a USB connection.
If this is one time thing, it may be cheaper to just buy her a spare battery and charge it up before you leave.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:04 PM

cover up?

according to FAA:

This method of engine-pylon removal saved man hours and was encouraged despite the manufacturer putting out circulars that warned of the dangers. These were not binding. At the end of the investigation, the American Airlines head of engineering, who had allowed the overhaul techniques, killed himself.

Afterwards

First responders survey the Flight 191 crash site in Des Plaines, Illinois.Problems with DC-10s were discovered as a cause of the accident, including deficiences in both design specifications and maintenance procedures which made damage very likely. Since this tragedy happened just before a Western Airlines DC-10 crashed in Mexico City and six years after a Turkish Airlines DC-10 crashed in Paris, the FAA quickly ordered all DC-10s to be grounded until all problems were solved. The result of the problem-solving was an arguably more efficient and safe DC-10.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM

In the last 4 years I flew (actual butt in the seat) 500K miles with AA and I'm still kicking. I'm booked for another 50K miles before the end of this year and I can't wait for the flight next week to Japan on a beautiful and IMHO a very safe AA 777. YMMV.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:38 PM

The McDonnell-Douglas DC-10 is inherently unsafe, because its flaps and slats are air-loaded against hydraulic pressure. This means that if hydraulics are lost, the surfaces retract and the wing stops flying. Changing its name to MD-11 didn't address the problem.

It took the plaintiffs two years to uncover the fact that an AA internal report had laid out the entire maintenance error shortly after the accident, but had been "lost" so that the company could deny any responsibility.

The 777, and every Fly-by-Wire airliner, is a catastrophe waiting to happen. A pilot friend of mine was in a 757 with a total cockpit failure over New Mexico a few years ago. All those pretty lights went out, and the yoke went slack. Only re-booting the computer fixed it. Good thing he had five miles of air under him at the time.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:49 PM

I guess you will drive to your destinations then....???
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Gee, just what I love to hear: talk about plane crashes and denigration of my chosen airline right after I booked my flights (on AA).

But thanks for adaptor advice, everyone. Seamus, the backup batt might be a good idea. I'l have to check into that as well.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM

If you think the power "gadget" is expensive, wait till you see the price for a laptop battery.

I would not go with the inverter as it may not work with the DC low power supply.

If your daugther just want to watch DVDs then do the e-Bay thing for a very low cost portable DVD player. Most if not all do come with DC power plug and they require very little power so they are guaranteed to work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO