Reload this Page >

Pousada in Evora or Estremoz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Sally

We are touring through the Alejente region of Portugal and plan to visit Evora for a couple of days. We were going to stay at the Pousada there, but people seem to say it's pretentions and overpriced. Does anybody out there like the place or would Estremoz be better?Thanks

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 03:44 PM
ridem

The Hotel da Cartuxa in Evora is situated right against the old city walls. (Which means you can explore Evora on foot) The rear rooms have a beautiful view over the gardens. It's a bit pricey, at $85Euro (early Spring 2002). We stayed there, thought it very comfortable, and upscale. It is quite a bit cheaper than the Evora Pousada. So... if you are in the "Pousada price range" anyway you might consider it. It has a nice website, you can make on line bookings. An additional advantage of Evora as a base is the convenience if you drive to some of the nearby towns like Monsaranz, Villa Vicoise, etc. The restaurant is also good, although I would recommend "O Antao" just off the center square for fine (but inexpensive) Alentejano cuisine.<BR><BR>The hotel is also well reviewed in several quide books, incluiding Michelins Red Guide, Fodors, DK Guide to PT, and others.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Magari

I too stayed at the Hotel da Cartuxa a few years ago and found it very nice.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:16 PM
pedro

don't forget to see www.pousadas.pt<BR><BR>as a base to explore the high alentejo region I'd consider the Vila Vi&ccedil;osa pousada. It's located in a former convent located side by side with the dukes of Braganza House.<BR><BR>IMHO opinion it is has a very convenient location to see places like Evora, Monsaraz, S. Bento do Corval, Redondo, Estremoz, Castelo de Vide, Marv&atilde;o and Vila Vi&ccedil;osa itself

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Andrea

I stayed at the pousada in Evora last summer and enjoyed it very much. It is a converted monastery so your room is within very thick, cool walls. Bathroom very modern, breakfast was so nice, but didn't like my dinner there. Too many fatty pork products! It is walking distance to wonderful shops and the museums. Definitely a positive experience.