Post Surgery: Lifting Luggage at Airports

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have had back surgery since we spoke last and I am flying to Italy mid-September. I know that no one helps you lift your luggage onto and off of the luggage belts or do they? I know I can drag my luggage but I also know I cannot lift it off the carousel with the foot high ridge around it.

How do any of you get around this? I don't think there are porters anymore will I just have to wait until personnel finally clear the carousel at the end of the day?
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:17 AM
rex

I'd look for someone age 13-19, explain the help you need, and have some small bills at the ready, as an expression of your appreciation (though 9 out of 10 strangers would likely refuse the money).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Hi Peeky,

Contrary to news reports, most people in our world are still helpful and kind. I expect you will have a seatmate on the plane that you could ask for help in advance. Or, just ask someone standing next to you at the luggage claim. I'm sure they will be glad to help, as long as it's not a bag that will cause them to require back surgery!

Good for you not to let this slow you down!

Buon viaggio!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:41 AM

My first thought was the same as Dayle's. It's a long flight -- make an able-bodied friend on the plane.

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers..."
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions, I have thought of this and I know when people get to the carousel they freak out over their own luggage and their plans to get out of the airport as fast as they can.

I hate to be helpless like this and wouldn't want to drag someone's trip down by having to wait with me if my luggage appears way after theirs. I picture their faces rueing their offer to help or me hobbling around offering tips as they head towards the exit.

I would like to think I could make a "friend" on the plane but it might not happen. I think I am beginning to see how handicapped people feel!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 08:54 AM

As some of you who read my recent trip report know, my husband was in an accident in Belgium, and he broke his elbow while we were there. Needless to say, he could not lift his luggage to store it up above when we rode the train. An employee at the station helped him put it on the train, and then that time and everytime after that when we needed help, someone (another passenger) offerred. I really don't think you will have a problem if you just ask others for help. Most people like to help.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM
cmt

I think there will be porters. I DO think someone will help you, if they know that you have a physical problem. Sometimes people just help even when there's no problem, just because they've been chatting with someone at the carousel and know that you've spottd your bag and feel like they're in a slightly better spot to grab the luggage and enjoy being helpful. But if you are anxious about it and don't want to count on someone's stepping in to help, I think you can find a porter if you're going to a major airport. I guess you will have a really good incentive to pack light!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Speaking for myself, I would gladly help anyone. If they asked, I would offer every assistance. If I see someone struggling or having difficulty, I would offer to help without being asked. I would be uncomfortable if offered a gratuity, I would not acccept one, and I would not show my uncomfortableness out of respect for the person's situation, wherein they need assistance and feel the need to show appreciation.

The same goes for a parent traveling with an infant. I have held babies, changed babies, played with babies, and fed babies to give an overwhelmed parent a break, or to allow them to eat, nap, or use the facilities.

Kindness, consideration, and understanding cost me nothing.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Hi peeky, although I try to pack light one time I didn't (long story that I told here once so won't repeat). My son-in-law had taken care of my two large suitcases when I checked in at SFO. I was very worried about getting them off the luggage belt in Venice.

As soon as I tried to a very nice Italian gentleman next to me took over and took one off and than waited until the second one came around and took that off for me also.

So hopefully you will have the good fortunate that I did.

BTW, when I travel with my Italian friend from the region of Veneto to Florence on the train (we always take small bags) she always ask someone to put our luggage on the overhead racks and they always do so with a smile.

Do pack as light as possible. And have a good trip!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM

HI--if I were you, I would contact the airlines and indicate that you will need "assistance". This is a question they always ask me when I am booking tkts for elderly relatives. I am sure this courtesy would apply equally to people who are post-surgery, or in any other way needing some extra help. Good luck.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 01:40 PM

I have called American Airlines. Apparently they have Special Assistance Coordinators that will be happy to help you in any way possible. You need to call them at least 48 hours ahead so they can be ready for you.

I worried about this myself in case I had a particularly bad day with my arthritis.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Ship your luggage to the hotel in advance.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:23 PM

I would call and explain that you are disabled,request wheel chair assistance upon arrival at the airport.
That should provide you with everything you need.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice it is proof that there are kind thoughtful people in the world.

I will call the airlines because I might just have the luck to be on a plane full of the other kind of people.

The other concern is that I am flying into Naples and out of Rome and from this forum I have the impression that Naples is a free for all at the airport. I could handle myself if I hadn't had this sudden problem.

As some of you may remember I was having doubts about my friend? She has cancelled and I had decided to carry on alone.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

PS: I think that it is time the airlines apply a new way of depositing the luggage to us. It seems so arcane for the elderly and infirm or anyone really to have to lunge and grap your suitcase in a split second and then haul it over the edge in the crowd.
It is like a torture test.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:51 PM

Hi Peeky, I am sorry your friend backed out of going on the trip with you but maybe it is for the best.

I agree with you about the luggage.
You have gotten some good ideas here, and again, do pack as light as possible.

Have a happy, safe and healthy trip!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM

peeky
forgot to say before, best wishes for a full recovery

Yes, I agree, even if you are paying more as a business-class passenger, unless you bring your valet with you, there's a lot of hauling and lifting to be done at some point or another. As I get older, I get more insight into why it's so difficult for many elderly people to travel if they're not in some sort of group. Even those with a fair amount of health and stamina may not be up to the Olympic events of luggage lunging and lifting.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:06 AM
ira

Hi peeky,

You might wish to stand next to a healthy gentleman and, when your bag arrives, ask him to retrieve it for you.

I would comply with such a request.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Why don;t you try standing next to a health-looking WOMAN and ask HER to help you with your bags?

Other than for the dirty old men this "help me because I'm weak" routine is kinda old not to mention tiresome.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Hi peeky, as I and others have said, the airlines are cognizant that some travelers, need assistance for a variety of reasons, your post-surgical condition being one. Therefore, rather than relying on chance, I suggest you arrange ahead of time w/all the airlines you will be using, and put your mind--and body!!--at rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -