Reload this Page >

Post-cruise: Southampton to Cornwall

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM
kensi

My parents and I have booked a 16-day holiday QEII. Post-cruise we have five days, including day of disembarking, in which to vagabond around southern England before getting back to Heathrow. My father really wants to drive from Southampton to Cornwall and drive around down there. Looking at our atlas, we figured it's about 150 miles to the heart of Cornwall. Is it too far to do in 4 1/2 days? Any other non-London post-cruise ideas?

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 closer suggestions:

north coast of devon (exmoor area) not familiar with the south coast.

or

dorset (swanage and environs)

i would not go to cornwall if i had 4.5 days. it certainly can be done. it takes about 7 hours to heathrow from the extreme southwest point. traffic can be very bad.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Quite why you're avoiding London is a mystery to me. Even if you've been lots of times before, there's always something new to discover. I've lived here all my life, and am still discovering.

Cornwall is too far for five days, especially as you're driving in unfamiliar territory, it's going to be too tiring. If I were in your position, I'd probably take a tour of Kent. There are some stately homes/castles/gardens, and of course the coast with "quaint" places such as Whistable/Herne Bay. It's easy driving, and not too far.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 05:38 PM

If your father really like to drive to Cornwall, certainly it can be done. Perhaps it would be easier to head back and stay somewhere on the road the day before departing from Heathrow.

For alternative, have you visit Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset area?
New Forest, next door to Southampton, is one of the oldest forests with lovely old towns/villages (Lyndhurst,Lymington and Christchurch), beautiful garden (Exbury Gardens), nice for walking/cycling.

Nearby: Winchester and Salisbury, besides magnificent cathedrals, both have well-kept medieval town centres. Dorchester has some roamn ruins. LymeRegis is a lovely old seaside town with seashore cliffs full of fossils.

Some samples of historical houses and gardens around these areas: Mottisfont Abbey Gardens,The Courts Garden,Compton Acres,Forde Abbey & Gardens,Stourhead,Wilton House.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:40 PM

I never understand why so many posters want to change people's minds.

If your father wants to go to Cornwall he damn well should go and you can do it in the time you have. Older people like m_kingdom2 have little stamina and tire very easily so you must factor that into their comments.
Cornwall is not the end of the world in spite of having a spit of land called Land's End.

I would second Judyc's advice and stay a little closer to Heathrow on the last night. I have driven from both Salisbury and Winchester to catch a flight from Heathrow.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:07 PM

the whole south coast area right through to cornwall is a lovely area...devon and cornwall are especially nice....you could make a nice roundtrip in a few days if you do not tarry....driving is slow however...average 40MPH i should think
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM

jsmith's blast of common sense would be well worth listening to if it wasn't for the ageist claptrap jsmith has allowed jsmitself to be brainwashed by.

The woosie fantasy that Cornwall's too difficult, or long, or too windy to drive to if you're "older" (than what?) is part of the fantasy taking over the world that if you're old enough to have judgement you're incapable of getting to the top of a flight of stairs without a stairlift.

Cornwall's too far to drive if you're averse to driving further than the end of your street. Four and a half days is too short if you need a century or three to drive round a normal sized English county. And you'll tire easily if you're unfit - a disease that manifestly affects children (of all ages) a great deal more these days than people who've spent a few decades actually doing something.

Of course kensi - and parents - can drive to Cornwall and back in 4.5 days.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:09 AM

My wife and I are doing a similar trip in a couple of weeks. Arrive in Southampton on the QMII and spend about a week seeing Devon & Cornwall and then departing Gatwick. We actually are spending the first night in Bournemouth (been there before & liked it) then most of the rest in Cornwall (St. Ives)-- never been there. When are you traveling? If we are back in time, I can post a short report.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:37 AM

Old or young, you probably wish to decrease the amount of time driven to your chosen destination and increase the amount of time "driving around" within your chosen destination (or better walking around) within the destination.

The OP has not made any decisions so this is not a matter of changing people's mind. Whether she can or cannot drive to and from cornwall in 4.5 days is not her question. clearly she realises she can but wants other suggestions. i have no problem driving further than the end of my street but I prefer to stay closer (to home, in my case) if i only have 4 or so days. Each area has its unique characteristics but my opinion is that Cornwall (whilst undeniably beautiful) is not worth sacrificing a much more leisurely stay in a closer county that can offer similar beauty.

Unlike many posters here who would have seen 4 days as an opportunity to see cornwall, bath, cotswolds and scotland, this poster has the good sense to realise that the distance IS a factor for these proposed 4 days. there will be a trade-off/sacrifice involved with going to cornwall vs a closer county. since the OP does not state exactly what they would like to do in cornwall, i can only "rate" cornwall against closer alternatives like devon or dorset in general terms like dramatic beauty of the coastline, beauty and quaintness of the villages, etc. in these regards, cornwall does not merit the extra driving packed into 4 short days. of course, this is just my opinion. if OP goes to cornwall i'm sure they will have a good time. however, don't you think they need to know that there is rival coastal beauty significantly closer to southhampton/heathrow? without knowing this, they cannot make a proper decision.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:34 AM

Now I am one of Cornwall's biggest fans but I have to agree with walkinaround. I would personally do a tour of Dorset. You get that wonderful feeling of rural and coastal England without the mileage. Also kensi needs to consider the fact that the road connections from Southampton to Cornwall are not as quick as say from London to Cornwall.

So what can you do in Dorset? Well there's the Jurassic coast (with old fossils found regularly on the beaches) near Lyme Regis which is a pretty and upscale resort. You have the county town of Dorchester for shopping. The opportunity to discover some attractive National Trust properties like Montacute House just over the border in Somerset plus some truly beautiful thatched cottages such as in the village of Evershot. You could even go to Monkey world or the Tank Museum if either of those took your interest. There is also the famous giant of Cerne Abbas which is (hmm. how can I put this politely) a stand out attraction
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:54 AM
kensi

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think Cornwall is a bit far. But my father has fond memories of some time spent in the area as a young merchant marine officer, and he wants to see it again. Just getting him on a cruise ship after years at sea was a major effort, so I'm reluctant to press for another itinerary unless the trip would be truly unfeasible. The possible 7 hr drive to Heathrow is dauting, however, and that just may change his mind.

To answer a few posters' questions: London is not an option because my parents and I have been there but neither my mother nor I have been outside its environs. We'd like to see the famous English countryside and stay in B&Bs or farms that rent a room. Also, we're disembarking on January 3rd at 0700 hrs and have morning flights out of Heathrow on the Sunday, the 8th. Thanks to all!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:23 AM

OK - a bit of a reality check here. I was at first going to say of course drive down to Cornwall. you could spend 3 days in the SW and 1 1/2 days travelling back to LHR.

BUT - now you say this trip is in January. The days are VERY short then and the weather can be horrible (of course it could be OK too).

Because of the long drive, chance for bad weather and short days -- what I would do is take the train from Southampton down to Cornwall. Rent a car for a couple of days to see some his old stomping grounds and then either drive back to LHR (taking 2 days for the journey) or if the weather is really dreadful, turn the car back in and take the train to somewhere nearer LHR for the last night. Where you stop really depends on what you want to see -- London, Winchester, Salisbury, Windsor or any number of places would work.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:01 AM

I quote from kensi's first post - My father REALLY wants to drive from Southampton to Cornwall and drive around down there. (Emphasis is mine.)

If I REALLY wanted to do something, I would expect encouragement to do so if it's possible. It is in this case.

I've just noticed kensi's post at 9:54 which gives more info. Since the trip is in January there are two points to be considered: (1)daylight ends early, 4:15 or so, and (2) not exactly the height of the tourist season. The first is a negative, the second a plus.

Janis, as usual, has made excellent suggestions encompassing this new info. Depending on how early your morning flight is, you might want to stay at a Heathrow hotel on January 7.

This post does point out how important it is to give all the facts in the original question.

BTW, flanneruk, it is difficult to brainwash my old brain. However, at 73, I am quite likely to forget things.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I also read the "REALLY" concerning wanting to go to cornwall. however, it was clear the poster (our real "client" here) has reservations about this.

Also, at the time, it was not clear that the father had a personal reason for going to cornwall. he could have just heard it was nice or saw it in a magazine...with no knowledge that much of england's coastline looks similar to the cornish coast.

since we now know he has a personal reason to go to cornwall, i say "do it". he may not have a chance to return.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Cornwall is definitely worth the trip - especially if your father has an interest in the area. If he spent some time there in his youth, he definitely should go back while he is healthy. You won't always have that option. Fantastic scenery. You should drive to Plymouth the first night and then spend the next day or two seeing Cornwall. Be sure to see Tintagel. On the way back to London, stop at Glastonbury Abbey.
http://www.glastonburyabbey.com/
and Wells Cathedral. You should rent the Poldark videos before going.
Also, I assume that you meant the QE2. QEII is the woman - the ship is QE2.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Do try to factor in Boscastle in North Cornwall if you are that way - it is close to Tintagel, but much less touristy and more beautiful.