Search

Positano Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano Hotels

Hi there, I have spent way too much time trying to decide what hotel to stay in and would just love some feedback! I haven't seen any recent comments pertaining to my choices, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I have at this point narrowed it down to:

*Buca di Bacco-Superior dbl with terrace.. 365euro

*Poseidon- superior dbl with terrace..310 euro
or Jr. Suite....440 euro

*Punta Regina- superior deluxe special ...295 euro
or suite... 390 euro

I'm wondering why I can get a suite with terrace at Punta Regina for the same price as a superior dbl at Buca de Bacco, and which hotel I would be able to get the biggest bang for the buck. I'm looking for a hotel with character and charm, so I appreciate any feedback and advice that you would be kind enough to share! My husband and I are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary by spending 4 nights in Positano, sandwiched between 4 nights in Bellagio/Lake Como and ending up in Rome. So I'm trying my best to find special accomodations for our special trip. We visited Italy several years ago, but not these particular areas. Thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:22 AM

You have 3 good choices, but I would be partial to Punta Regina for views. The Buca di Bacco is on the water.
Make any of them an offer--they might say yes.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Love the Poseidon and think that it is a great bet. The food is wonderful. One night, there was a singer on the pool deck, under the stars... it was wonderful.

We thought the service was great, and the views to die for. I would stay there again in a minute.

Breakfast: heaven.

In Bellagio (same trip) we stayed at the Belvedere, with a room with terrace and lake view.

That was our splurge trip. I had been injured in an auto accident and after months of rehab, we spent 4 nights in Bellagio and 4 in Positano. It was wonderful.

We haven't stayed in these types of places since, but we were very satisfied with our choices.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Try also the Palazzo Murat, if they're not already full.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Not to muddy the waters yet further, have you considered Covo dei Saraceni? Rates also about same as those you're looking at. We love it, its pool and the proximity to the beach.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM

How about the Albergo California, it's the one filmed in Under The Tuscan Sun...http://www.californiahotelpositano.com/
Som
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your feedback! I wonder why rates at Buca de Bacco are more? Is it because the hotel sits closer to the beach with less of a view or are the rooms nicer as far as decor? And I will check out Palazzo Murat and Covo dei Saraceni as well.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

I also just noticed Villa Franca for about the same price. Any feedback there? And the Palazzo Murat looks very nice, but it appears the views are more of countryside rather than
seaview. And is the Poseidon considered more of a luxury hotel over Buca di Bacco? Just wondering based on the rate difference for the same type of room. Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:26 AM

I've only stayed at the Murat. We chose it because it's near the top of the pedestrian route down to the beach and is handy for going out during the day. It's right in the centre of Positano and is a very good hotel.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the feedback. I have another question just for curiousity sake. Which hotel would you chose, based on view, charm and decor, regardless of the rate? And would an entry level room at il San Pietro be a better choice than, say a junior suite at Covo dei Saranceni or the other 4 star
hotels? Thanks for your time and as always, much appreciated advice!
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM

How about the Albergo California, Positano with parking if you book early enough. It's the one filmed in Under The Tuscan Sun.
http://www.hotelcaliforniapositano.it ... email: [email protected]
Som
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 01:38 AM

My husband and I have just booked The Pasitea. Not sure where you are from but there is a great deal on the booking.com.au website.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 01:54 AM

To answer your question about price no object, I advised honeymooners considering Sireneuse, San Pietro and Covo de Saraceni to book the latter of the 3 based on proximity to the beach and the town action rather than the "aloofness" of the other two. Covo dei Saracenia (and Sireneuse) was filmed in "Only You"
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 03:01 AM

For views, charm, and outstanding food (!), I think it's hard to beat The Poseidon. Decor in the jr. suites is simple, nothing extraordinary. We love this hotel ( have been a few times) and always have a fantastic stay there.

As for the others, I can't comment since we haven't stayed at them, but I did hear from friends that they were disappointed with an "entry" level room at Le Sirenuse. They didn't think it was worth the price, said it didn't have much of a view, and found the vibe of the hotel pretentious.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Great feedback! I really like the looks of Covo de Saracenci, but did anyone experience noise from the traffic below the rooms? That is my husband's biggest concern. And San Pietro seems to be a little TOO remote. We really don't care too much about the pool or beach, but just want to have great views in upscale surroundings, and at the same time have access to the local flavor. Thoughts?
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM

I could be wrong ( it's happened before!) but I think you're more likely to get better views the higher up you are in town. Covo is just a few steps up from the dock, so while you'll have a close-in view of town and the sea, you may not experience that AHHHH moment of an almost aerial view from some of the hotels farther up the hill in town.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM

Just wanted to add that Positano is very tiny, and as long as you are in decent physical shape,
( lots of stairs back and forth to town from many of the hotels that are away from the main dock) you will be very close to most of the restaurants/stores in town. You can also take a cab to Montepertuso, a small mountain village that has several very good restaurants. It is a short ride from Positano. Only about 15 minutes.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Weadles. We are both in good shape so walking isn't an issue at all. We are just looking for that perfect place to stay and are willing to pay for it for this ocassion. San Pietro looks like it offers great views, but it appears it might be a little too secluded for enjoying evenings out on the town?
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM

San Pietro has a shuttle that runs to and from Positano, but not sure how late it operates. The hotel is not right in town, so you might find it limiting in terms of restaurants/shops, etc. And depending on your travel style, you might find the place a bit stuffy. We only had dinner a few times at the hotel w/older friends, but definitely too formal for us.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate your input, and I was a little concerned about the stuffiness factor. It looks like a beautiful property, but I don't want to be that far away from the flavor of the town. I just want to make a decision and move on, so here is what I have it narrowed down to, and the criteria for my selection is an upscale property with the nicest room that offers a charming decor with a great terrace and view. The prices are close enough that it's not the deciding factor. It's between:

Covo dei Saranceni/Jr Suite with terrace and sunbeds
Buca de Bacco/Superior double with terrace
Poseiden/Jr. Suite with terrace

I am willing to give up a view from a higher point for atmosphere. What to do, what to do........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -