Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portugal's Algarve: Where to stay, Albufeira or Lagos???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Scott

Hi, <BR>My friend and I are going to portugal mid-August and will be in the Algarve area for 4 days/nights.<BR>We're in our mid-30's and looking for fun, beach and nightlife. Please recommend if we should stay at one or the other, Albuferia or Lagos. Or, should we split them, 2 nights each??

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Sue

Scott,<BR><BR>I only drove thru Lagos, but I wouldn't want to stay there. I must preferred Albufeira. A great beach and I've never seen so many bars and restaurants in one town. <BR><BR>Have a wonderful time!!!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Willie

I thought Albuferia was boring. All the hooking up was in Lagos, if you're looking for that sort of thing.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>-Willie

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Jan

I recently returned from the Algarve. We visited Albufeira and stayed just west of Lagos. I recommend Lagos. I thought Albufeira was absolutely horrible. It was full of touts wanting to sell you a timeshare...maybe if I was 20, drunk and wanting fish and chips, I would have enjoyed it.<BR><BR>Just a note...the beaches are fabulous throughout the Algarve. We went to a different one every day and each one was unique and beautiful. Lagos has plenty of nightlife and has great beaches.<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR>Jan

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Jen

It's been several years since I've been to either, but I preferred Lagos over Albufeira. Both are in their own way quite overtouristed, but I thought Lagos had a little more charm. As I recall, Lagos had many clubs, too.