Search

PORTUGAL - Help with 12-Day Itinerary!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PORTUGAL - Help with 12-Day Itinerary!

Hi

Can anybody help with their suggestions for a 12 day trip to Portugal in May/June?
We would like to include Lisbon and the Algarve and any other recommendations that will be easy to get to. We intend to rent a car after being in Lisbon, our first stop.

thanks
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed in Lisbon nine nights and did day trips to Sintra and Estoril/ Caiscais, then overnights in Evora,Obidos, Coimbra, Guimares and Porto. From Obidos we visited Batalha, Acobaca and Nazare. Click on "Portugal" on the "view by country" menu to see many posts and ideas on this question.
There are some references to the Algarve, but not many.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Go to Sintra. Go to Sintra!!! North of Lisbon are the Sintra mountains. You can drive or go by train from Lisbon. There's a small town with shops, restaurants and a national palace.

Further up is the 9th century Castelo dos Mouros (Castle of the Moors). But it's the ramparts that are so interesting - like a miniature Great Wall of China! Walk these high walls if you've got the stamina and check out the outstanding panaramic views (but not good if you have a fear of heights). Then go higher up to the 19th century former residence of the Portuguese royal family perched on a mountain peak. You'll be transported to a fairy-tale place! It made me think of fairy tales i read as a kid! Tip: if you go and want to have dinner in Sintra, avoid the touristy places. Ask the locals where they go to eat. You may get a more authentic experience this way. And it may get cool at night so check the weather report. Enjoy your trip!!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM

We traveled north and east of Lisbon. If interested in what we did, click on my name for the trip report.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 04:20 AM

Hi Michael, We spent about that amount of time in Portugal, and went from Lisbon to Evora, on our way down to the Algarve. We then went to Obidos, Bussaco forest and Porto, returning to Lisbon at the end. We considered Coimbra on the way up to Porto also, if that is of interest to you. Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip! I did do a trip report here if this itinerary sounds like something you would like. pp
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone !