Search

Portugal and Spain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal and Spain

Hello all,

We are a family of five with three kids ages 13/11/9 travelling in end July to Portugal and South of Spain from Canada for 16 nights total. We fly into Lisbon and are planning to stay there for 4 nights. We fly home from Seville and so would like After this we would like to head to the south of Spain. Here are our questions :
1. What would you recommend doing after Lisbon ? Renting a car and then driving to the Algarves for a few nights? Where would you stay ?
2. Would it be possible to take the car over the border into Spain?
3. Which cities in the south of Spain would you recommend seeing ? We definitely want to spend two nights in Granada and four nights in Seville (with a planned day trip to Cordoba). We were thinking of ending here and are looking for places to stay in between. Which other city would you suggest ? Cadiz ? Malaga ? Tormelinos ?
If there are any hotel or airBNB recommendations, we would much appreciate it as well.

Looking forward to as much help / advice we can get. Thanks

Nisha
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 04:21 PM
kja

1. Please consult a good guidebook and also look at the many trip reports and planning threads here on Fodor's.

2. Yes. And it will cost a LOT.

3. Two nights in Granada gives you time for the Alhambra, not necessarily anything else in that city. Many people visit Cordoba as a day trip from Sevilla; I'm glad I had 48 hours in Cordoba. And I wanted at least 3 full days for Sevilla itself. Only you can decide what YOU want to see and experience, so I would suggest that you need to determine your priorities and figure out whether you actually have enough time.

Good luck!
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 04:59 PM

Do you actually have 16 nights on the ground in Portugal and Spain? Have you made your airline reservations?

I think you should spend 5 nights in Lisbon because you will be suffering from jetlag on the day you arrive so you may not be able to see and do a lot that day.

I don't know anything about the Algarve so I can't help you there. As KJA suggests, you should purchase a few good guidebooks, such as Micheline Green Guide, Rough Guides, or Lonely Planet. Don't purchase Rick Steves for this trip because he doesn't cover Malaga.

I also agree with KJA about spending 2 nights in Cordoba. It's a gorgeous city that has a lot to offer. While the Mezquita is amazing, there is more to Cordoba than just the Mezquita. Staying overnight is a more satisfying and rewarding trip. You don't really get a good feel for a place with just a day trip. And I agree that you need 3 full days just for Seville. It's a beautiful city architecturally, and has a lot of important historical and cultural sites.

We loved Malaga, and I think it's an under-rated city. If you have time to include Malaga, that is what I would suggest doing because Andalusia is going to be very, very HOT in July and August. In fact, I hate to say this, but you are probably going to Andalusia during the worse time of year. It's highly possible temps will be in the low 100's, especially in Seville. When I was planning our trip, I read trip reports from people who were there during the summer months, and they talked about being drenched in sweat after being outside for 10 minutes. So please find a hotel with a pool. You should plan to be up early to sightsee in the morning and the evening, and return to your hotel in the afternoon to get some respite from the heat, either with air-conditioning or swimming.

Because of the heat, Malaga will be a nice place to get some respite from the heat, as well. You can swim and relax at the beach. Our trip was in September 2017, and the temps were the coolest in Malaga.

So a possible itinerary could be:
Lisbon - 5 nights (perhaps you could visit Sintra as a day trip - I think temps will be a bit cooler in Sintra)
Cordoba - 2 nights
Granada - 2 or 3 nights
Malaga - 2 nights
Seville - 4 nights

I guess the Algarve could be a good choice for a place to swim and cool off, but as I said, I don't know anything about the Algarve. If you visit the Algarve, then you will have to delete a destination from Spain.

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 09:30 AM

It'll be a great trip! I visited Spain 2 years ago with my then-17 year old daughter and we loved it. The Spanish people are warm and inviting. We didn't get to Portugal but hope to return someday soon and visit. We also traveled at the end of July and it was very, very hot and humid - be forewarned! We especially loved Seville - it was one of our most favorite places in Spain. Aside from the famous cathedral and other wonderful sites in Sevilla, definitely visit the Centro Cultural Flamenco "Casa de la Memoria" at Calle Cuna, 6 for a fabulous flamenco show in true Spanish style. It's a small-ish room packed with people and you clap and stomp along with the lively band and flamenco dancers. A great experience! Since space is limited, you do have to buy tickets in advance for the day and time you want to attend. They have a discounted child/student rate price as well.

We took public transportation throughout Spain and never rented a car. It's manageable but might just be a preference thing. IMO, southern Spain lacks the convenient Metro subway lines that Madrid and Barcelona have, but there are plenty of trains, buses, etc. As for cities to visit in the south of Spain, I recommend Tarifa. From Sevilla, we took a bus south to Tarifa. It's a great little seaside town at the southernmost point of continental Europe, at the tip of Spain. It has a fun beachy vibe with lots of cute shops, cafes and restaurants. There are plenty of water sports and things to do with wide, expansive beaches. Note that even in the summer, it is quite windy and the waves choppy because it's where the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea meet at the Strait of Gibraltar. We took a day trip over into Africa (Tangier) in Morocco for an interesting experience. Tangier was very unique (my daughter loved it!) If you end up spending 3 days in Sevilla, you'd have time to use one of those days to visit Tangier! Also, if you end up going up to Malaga, I would recommend stopping to see Gibraltar. While it is an English enclave in Spain, the town of Gibraltar is cute with some English pubs and shops. The main attraction, the Rock of Gibraltar is magnificent and there is a fun open tram you take all the way up to the top of the Rock that your kids would enjoy! Barbary apes scamper all about at the top of the Rock mixed in with the tourists taking pictures. The views from the top of Gibraltar are quite breathtaking seeing over into Africa, coastal Spain. A must-see and definite highlight of our trip to Spain!

I concur with the above poster, Malaga further up the Costa del Sol, is great. It was the birthplace of Picasso with the
Museo Picasso Málaga, and other city sites like the Alcazaba, La Manquita (one-towered cathedral) to see. The area beaches are long and sandy - the Playa de la Malagueta is Malaga's city beach and is easy to access. Malaga's old town area is wonderful and lively with fabulous cafes and shops that stay open late. Be advised that the Spanish eat VERY LATE compared to most Europeans so that would probably be an adjustment for your kids. We ate about 9:30-10:00pm on an average nightly and there were always lines waiting to get seated at restaurants at that time! It was quite surprising but we adjusted accordingy - we ended up going to be about midnight each night! Have a great family vacation!
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for posting. I very much appreciate the advice. I will definitely check out the Flamenco show in Seville.
I have also decided to stay in Cordoba for two nights, Granada for three nights and Seville for at least four nights.
I realize it is going to be HOT but unfortunately we had to travel when the kids were off school. Thanks again for all the advice!

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 03:42 PM

Whatever you do , keep in mind it is 40 C in the south. ..book hotels with good AC and , if possible, a pool.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 05:23 PM
kja

Originally Posted by nadak
I have also decided to stay in Cordoba for two nights, Granada for three nights and Seville for at least four nights.
Good! Book your time at the Alhambra as soon as they come up for purchase.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 08:49 PM

Maybe your kids would enjoy a show at the Royal Andalusian Riding School in Jerez de la Frontera (in the direction of Cadiz), about an hour by train from Sevilla.
https://www.realescuela.org/en/

In Lisbon, I think they--and you--will enjoy the Castelo de São Jorge, the many attractions of Belém, and they might also enjoy the Lisbon Oceanarium, located in the Parque das Nações, which was the exhibition grounds for Expo '98. It's the fourth largest aquarium in Europe. The Parque das Nações area is very modern, in stark contrast to the more traditional and historic parts of the city.

I would think the charges for renting a car in Lisbon and dropping it off in Spain would be high. A few years ago, my husband and I took the train from Lisbon to Lagos (transfering at Faro), then rented a car in Lagos to get around Lagos and to explore some of the coast to the west, such as Sagres and Salema. After a few days in Lagos, we drove to Sevilla, however, we broke up the drive with an overnight stay in Altura near the Spanish border (though it wasn't really necessary to break up this drive, as it doesn't take that long and the road is excellent). Our stay in Altura also gave us a chance to explore nearby Tavira. When we got to Sevilla, we just left the car in the garage of our hotel for the next four days/nights. We didn't need a car for Sevilla (I'd been there before so knew a car wouldn't be needed). When we left Sevilla, we drove back to Faro, turned in the car and caught the train back to Lisbon. There is bus service from the Algarve to Sevilla.
Travel options between the Algarve and Spain by bus or train

I also like Malaga, but Cadiz has been at the top of my "go-to" list for years. It sounds quite charming.

Last edited by Diamantina; Feb 7th, 2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 07:33 AM

Playing around on Kayak, it looks like it would be about $2000 USD base rate without insurance to rent a large car, SUV or Van (something for 5 people) picking up at Lisbon airport and dropping at Seville airport (seems to be cheaper airport to airport), but only around $1000 USD if you picked a car up in Lisbon, dropped in Tavira at the border and then picked up another car in Huelva Spain train station, and then dropped at Seville airport. It is about a 45 minute train ride from Tavira to Huelva. So maybe that could be an option to avoid the large drop off fee. But with people, luggage etc. it could end up being a hassle for you too.

You might contact AutoEurope or another consolidator and see if they can come up with something that will work for you for the whole time. Looking at their site there seems to be a big price difference between a station wagon and van for instance so maybe just by getting a different type of vehicle you can save some money

https://www.autoeurope.com/