Porto or Madeira? Advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be traveling to Southern Spain for a wedding in October 2004. We will then have approximately 5 days before our return home. Neither one of us has been to either Oporto or Madeira. Any advice on which is preferable for the time given, and then hotels and whatever else would be wonderful.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:32 PM

It's not a fair comparison, IMO. Oporto is a small city whereas Madeira is an island. OK, a small island but one that is a continent in itself. So many different landscapes, climate zones, ...
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

I realize it may not be a fair comparison, but, we are quite flexible, love both the cities and the beaches, love to explore, shop, drink wine, eat great food. I just don't know anything about either, and am wondering if 5 days is enough to do justice to either one.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:08 AM

Madeira. It is a beautiful island with gracious people. The wine tour through the Madeira winery was amazing with great tasting afterwards. 5 days is enough to explore.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM

another vote for madeira island
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:13 PM

If you want to explore the island and make a few of the levada walks Madeira is famous for, 5 days may be a bit short but it's good for a start!

Make sure to visit the Jardim do Monte and the Jardim Botanico (both Funchal).

If you have a car, visit Curral das Freiras which is an isolated valley surrounded by high peaks. Driving to the valley is like driving in a lost world.

Another out-of-this-world view is at Ponta de Sao Lourenço where the island literally sinks into the ocean. It's at this point that you can see that you're actually on a volcano.

As for hotels ... although I've only seen it from the outside and didn't stay there, I think the Quinta Perestrello in Funchal looked beautiful. It's a luxury boutique hotel on a perfect location, 5 min. walk from the sea/lido and 10 min. from the city centre.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM

Madeira. Besides everything already mentioned, take the cable car up to Monte, and after exploring the area, take the toboggan down. A one-of-a-kind experience. We stayed at the Baia Azul-about a 20 minute leisurly walk into Funchal. 5 days will allow plenty of time to explore this tropical paradise. ENJOY!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Someone has to give you an opposing viewpoint, so here goes: You say you will have approximately 5-days before your return home. Will you have to return to Spain for your return flight?
Much will depend on how you answer that question.

If you like bridges, aside from the new ('98) Vasco de Gama bridge in Lisbon, Porto is a bridge-lover's paradise. I love northern Portugal: Coimbra, Porto, Espinho, Braga & Guimaraes. Take the old highway from Lisbon thru Mealhada and stop where the Truckers stop for the best Roast Suckling Pig (Leitao, pronounced 'lay tone') anywhere.

You could even fit in a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Galizia (Spain) before this Jubilee year ends (Cristo Rei, 21 Nov).

I'm not an island person: I have been to Sao Miguel in the Azores but never to Madeira; but I like their wine.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 02:55 AM

I have never been to Porto, so I cannot compare. But it is a UNESCO World Heritage town and nothing gets nominated World Heritage without a reason.

This "5 days covers Madeira" is a question of preferences. I have spent something like 6 weeks in Madeira alltogether, not necessarily to see anything, just to enjoy. I must have walked at least 30 levadas and mountain hikes, I have been fishing and whale watching, I have tended orchids, I have picknicked in the mountains watching sun rise from behind the tops, and so on. I have never hired a car because in higher altitudes the fog falls totally unexpectedly, and it is thick. But the busses cover most of the island, and they are fun to ride. And Funchal is a nice town.

But Madeira is not tropical. The southern coast is subtropical, and going towards the center comes laurel forests and then coniferous zone, and finally up in the mountains it looks like Scotland in many places. I have been there even when it has been snowing in the mountains. And there are no beaches, just a small empty sand beach about 30 kilometres from Funchal, and Praia Formosa near Funchal. But it is huge black stones and most of the time so big wawes that it is dangerous to swim.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:02 AM

Elina
I think you made a beautiful description of Madeira. Regarding sand beaches, the people of Madeira, usually go to the Island of Porto Santo for beach leisure (is a short plane ride).
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you all so very much for all of your input. We're currently looking at flights, hotels, etc, and are still undecided, but I'm sure that either would be great. If I have further inquiries, I'll be sure to come back to this forum. Thanks again.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Hello,

Since you say you're still undecided, perhaps reading our Madeira travelogue http://www.thetravelzine.com/portugal_2003_madeira1.htm
and about our visits to Porto (see the other Portugal travelogues in the menu on the left) will help you make up your mind. Either way, we're sure you'll have five great days.

Happy Holidays!
Don and Linda
http://www.thetravelzine.com
Non-commercial
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 01:30 PM

I was about 12 years ago in Sheraton Hauppage, Long Island, NY, USA for a week long visit to Coherent Communications, with 3 co-workers.
In the first day, we received a nice breakfast, with a excellent service, but in the second day, nobody seems to wish to attend our table. After 10 minutes or so, a waiter come and served us with very litlle enthusiasm.
On that second day, we are commenting to the people of the factory this difference of treatment, and one asked us: "How much did you tip in the first day". We said we tip nothing. And they concluded : "My god, that's why you were treated like criminals"
We learnt our lession, we tipped generously afterwards and the good service and the smiles returned immediatly.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 01:31 PM

very sorry, wrong thread