Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Navigo Metro Pass in Paris. Expiration date ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the pass was good for ten years (with the charge to activate it). I cannot find a date on it. Does anyone know if it expires and if so how do I find the date?
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 08:43 PM

The RATP has been somewhat vague on the useful life of a Navigo pass and I assume you are referencing Navigo Découverte. I have seen the 10 year time frame mentioned but there is no magical date when the card is suddenly obsolete. Just keep recharging it until you no longer can.

There is nothing written on the card to suggest a expiration date.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:13 PM

There are periodic updates to the Navigo like the new no-zone pass. This only increased rates and there are no more zones to worry about. If Navigo makes a big change there will be a notice on the RATP website. This was the situation with the old Carte Orange which was replaced by Navigo. If you have trouble recharging just go to the agent in the booth.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 08:27 AM

We bought Navigo passes in March. Are they obsolete with the new no zone passes?
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 08:34 AM

The Navigo Découverte pass or card is good for at least a decade, there has been no change to the pass. The fare with which it is loaded varies from one week, to one month, to one year and the fare rates have changed.

When you next load your Navigo Découverte passes with the normal zone 1-2 fare, it will now cost 21.25€ but you will be able to travel through zones 1-5.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 09:11 AM

I presume the OP means the electronic card itself, as you buy fares for some specific time period, of course.

But I agree with Sarastro, keep using it until it doesn't work. Then if it doesn't ask a clerk in case of a problem. If they won't do anything due to its age, buy another, if you have to. What's the alternative?

The pass itself is obviously just a card that stores info, so it cannot be obsolite due to new dezonage rules.

I have never read anywhere that it is only good ten years myself. But that's actually a pretty long time for some chip/electronic card like that to work.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I was not aware that it changed to a no zone pass. That would have been good to have last year when we unwittingly went to CGD and could not exit. We (and a few others) were saved by a worker who let us through!
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 12:09 PM

<i> I was not aware that it changed to a no zone pass. </i>

The <b>pass</b> or card has not changed. It is the <b>fares</b> that have changed.

<i>We (and a few others) were saved by a worker who let us through!</i>

You were very, very lucky as you were traveling without the appropriate fare. You could have been fined on the spot if you were caught.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Sarastro, I misspoke. Yes, I understand the fare is different. Not the pass. And yes, I know how lucky we were. A few years ago a friend went out of zone and was stopped by Metro police and almost arrested. Luckily they had bigger things to deal with and he was let go.