Porto - Duoro Valley Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be visiting Portugal this summer with a 9 year old and a 7 year old. We'll be in Porto for a few days and thought of taking a Duoro Valley Cruise. Any tips on companies to use or avoid? Also, is it preferable to take a cruise up and train back or train up and cruise down?

Any tips on must see sites in Porto? Recommendations for kid friendly restaurants? Thank you!
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 09:44 PM

Are you planning on taking the 9 & 7-year old with you? They may find it a bit boring, unless they can jump into the river to cool off. Summer in the Douro can be quite warm, warmer then Sevilla.

Check: https://www.visitportugal.com/en
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 08:58 AM

The big company is "Douro Azul" with a website in English. The Portuguese spelling of the river is Douro (Duero in Spanish).
I've been hesitating about discouraging you to go to Portugal dos Pequenitos, since you have 2 children with you and not a lot of activities geared towards them. However you should have the right perspective, Portugal dos Pequenitos is a area with scale versions of Portuguese monuments and typical houses. Nothing fancy or Disneyesque.
Final note: in Portugal there is not the concept of "kid friendly".
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 06:42 AM

Some more activities aiming the kids:
- dolphin watching (google "dolphin watching sado")
- tuk-tuking in Lisbon old areas
- since you plan a visit to Oceanarium, it may be worth to google "pavilhão do conhecimento ciência viva". Pav do conhecimento (with a website in English) is next door to Oceanarium and a kind of a experimentation center where kids are encouraged to put hands on all kinds of experiments.
- cycling, if your children enjoy exercise, there is a trail between Cascais and Guincho, near the Atlantic coast.
As you see, I'm more familiar with activities in Lisbon area. This is my last spontaneous post. If you have any specific question, please ask.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We did the Duoro Azul day boat trip and enjoyed it. However, I think it would bore the kids. You are looking at hillsides filled with vineyards. A nice sit down, served lunch was included. We were put at an English speaking table and there were few on tne boat that day. Pleasant trip but hard one for kids I think. We sailed up river and took train back. Train station has amazing tile work.