Notices

Pompeii or Naples hotel?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Sally

Pompeii or Naples hotel?

We will be staying at Orvieto for a couple of days, and we would also like to go to Pompeii. When I searched for information about Pompeii, most people seem to go there as a day trip from Rome. Has anyone stayed in a hotel in Pompeii as an alternative to a very long day trip? Or is there a good hotel in Naples that is close to the train station ? I am looking for a way to see Pompeii , but not have a 12 hour day trip.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Sally

Has anybody stayed in a hotel in Pompeii?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:10 AM
james

I went to Pompeii last year, staying near Sorrento. I don't remember there being much of interest around Pompeii. It's a longish 2.5 hour train ride from Rome, and you really need a whole day in Pompeii to get the max out of it, so I'd definitely recommend staying nearby. There are lots of hotels outside the station in Naples - sorry haven't got any info though.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Vincenzo

Sally,,
there is a long distance between Orvieto and Pompei. So, I think it is good for you to stay in a hotel in Pompei or nearby.
Would you have a good hotel in Pompei ?
All right. It is Hotel Maiuri, four stars, comfortable rooms. And the dinner
? No problem. "President". (closed for Sunday dinner). Don't miss as
first course "tubettoni alla Nerone" and as white wine, Avalon by
Mastroberardino.
If someone suggests you "Il Principe", please, stay away: too much
expensive.
Would you have a good hotel not in Pompei ?
All right. Come in Penisola Sorrentina and go to Sant'Agnello, very close to Sorrento, just 2km far. Hotel is " Grand Hotel Cocumella "
very charming. Good for dinner, too. Nice the evening after dinner and the
following morning if it will be a sunny day.
Would you like to begin to come back ? It means to reach Naples without
going into the centre of the town.
All right. In Naples, Holiday Inn Naples, good for dinner too.
Ciao.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 08:17 AM
michele

Sally,
I, too,would stay in Pompeii or the area for all the reasons mentioned above. I believe there is a fairly recent posting asking about decent hotels near the train station in Naples. You might want to search for it, although I think the advice was to stay elsewhere in Naples.

Vincenzo, I really appreciate your advice. I 'll be in Naples in late March ( at the Parteno)and am saving all your restaurant tips. Grazie.

M.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 08:26 AM
GAC

I have read several negative comments about the hotels in and around Piazza Garibaldi, the Naples Central Train Station. The only positive exception seems to be the modernized, four-star Hotel Terminus, 30 yards from the Station. If anyone has found a really nice hotel in this area (apart from the Terminus), please offer a report!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Mark

Sally, if you just want to see Pompeii, then I would stay there. I am familiar with several hotels there, but would probably choose the Hotel Forum (3 star I think) if I had to stay: the rooms are fairly quiet as it's not right on the main drag, and it's really close to the amphitheatre entrance to the site.
Pricewise, you'll find much better value for money in Pompei than in an equivalent hotel in Naples.

For restaurants, I liked Vincenzo's recommendation of Il President, though I wouldn't be so dismissive of Il Principe. I have had memorable meals in both places...and not just because of the bill at the end.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Zoe

We stayed at Pompeii for 3 nights last April. I can't remember the name of the hotel (it's in one of the guidebooks we had) - the cost was 90,000 lire per night. Took the train to and from Naples one day, to Herculaneum (spelling?) another afternoon. Spent a full day at Pompeii. It was great. Naples seemed rather dirty and seedy looking. Make sure when you take the train it says Pompeii Scavi (ask someone) or you'll end up in the new town like we did! If you would like the name of the hotel, let me know - the book is at home.

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zoe, I'd like the name of the hotel.

Also has anyone taken a taxi or bus from Naples airport to Pompeii without going through Naples?