Reload this Page >

Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Search

Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Maria

Pompeii or Herculaneum?

If you could only see one, which would you choose? We will be visiting on our way back to Rome from Sorrento. I know Pompeii has a train from Sorrento and has luggage storage. Does Herculaneum as well? Herculaneum appeals to me because of the smaller size and the better preservation.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Joe

I visited both last October, and I would strongly recommend Pompeii (and the archeological musuem in Naples if you have time). By better preserved, Herculaneum has carbonized wood doors, but overall IMO you get a better sense of Roman life from Pompeii. If you have time for all three - - Pompeii, the Naples museum, an Herculaneum - - so much the better. Joe

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Kay

Pompeii<BR>Archeological Museum<BR>Herculaneum<BR><BR>All three are impressive. I really liked the Museum. The first trip, I saw Pompeii and Herculaneum. The second trip, I saw the Museum. Much of the well preserved items are in the Museum. If you can only do one, I would choose in the order above. They have opened new areas of Pompeii so be prepared to spend some time there.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Vincenzo

Maria,<BR>it is a very hard problem. <BR>However, I suggest Pompei because now it is possible to visit Terme Suburbane and it is very interesting to visit it.<BR>I agree with Kay, plan to spend in Pompei, much more than three hours.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Joanne

Maria: What a dilemma! I loved both Pompeii and Ercolano (look forward to visiting the museum someday, as well as the new area in Pompeii Vincenzo mentioned). I think Pompeii will give you a better feeling for Roman everyday life. Ercolano was a more Patrician city and the remains of the villas are incredible. The women's baths are also very interesting. But the House of the Faun and House of Vetti in Pompeii are equally wonderful. In addition, you will see a bakery, a brothel, a stadium, etc.<BR><BR>The differences practically, as I see them, are access. The entrance to Pompeii is a very short walk from the Circumvesuviana train. There is a book/gift shop, lockers and a cafeteria on the grounds. Ercolano is a several block walk from the station. Just inside the entrance is a ticket booth (where possibly you could leave your luggage)and then quite a long walk to a tunnel, where you walk down a long staircase and then over a bridge sort of affair to get to the ruins. No gift shop or cafe. There was a bathroom.<BR><BR>I realize this isn't much help, but either way you are in for a treat. <BR><BR>j

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:52 AM
GAC

See Pompei first, the Museo Archeologico in Naples second, and Ercolano third.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Lorraine

I saw both and vote for Pompeii. We stopped at Ercolano on our way from Rome to Sorrento and wheeled our luggage there, which took 10-15 minutes from the train. The small ticket office graciously stored the bags. Ercolano was great and not crowded, and it was interesting to see the modern but unattractive town looming above the excavation. <BR><BR>We went to Pompeii as a day trip from Sorrento and were happy to have unlimited time, as it's huge and haunting. The negative is having to jockey around tour groups. But you do get a better sense of day-to-day life, plus there are plaster casts of victims.<BR><BR>(I have a photo of one of these body casts, plus other photos of Pompeii and Herculaneum, at http://www.correctedenglish.com/S-It...yframeset.html. Scroll down the text until you come to the appropriate location and click on the highlighted words.)

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Joanne

Lorraine: Very much enjoyed seeing your pictures of Pompeii; brought back memories.<BR><BR>Don't mean to nitpick, but what you list as the forum is actually the Temple of Apollo.<BR><BR>j

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Emperor Julius

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Annie

Nothing can equal the sense of reverence one gets in Pompeii. History truly comes alive. I felt as if the Romans were there and had just left. Be warned that it is a huge place, a city. We went with a guide who knew where the high spots were and which ones were open that day. One can get lost since all streets look alike. We were there for most of the day and had lunch there, at a restaurant in the middle of the complex. There is nothing else commercial within the site. Herculaneum is impressive because you can see how the modern city is built right above it. And the musuem in Naples, with its mosaic fragments,its charred food from the Pompeii ovens, and its art work, truly rounds out the picture.