Pompeii / Arch. Museum transportation question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start by saying I know there are many posts on this, but I’d like to know if my plan is correct based on my research. I know people will (and have) said that this is too much to do in one day, but please bear with me. We are traveling in mid-September, so the ferry service isn’t the best option for leaving early and returning late.

Objective: Depart Positano for Pompeii, then head to Naples for Archaeological museum, then return to Positano.

My plan:
-Leave Positano early AM via SITA bus to Meta. (Earliest bus dep 7:10, arr 7:45)

-Pick up Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. Explore for several hours.

-Circumvesuviana to Naples. Lunch and Museum.

-Circumvesuviana back to Sorrento
-OR-
Alilauro from Naples to Sorrento which leaves at 17:15, 19:30 or 21:05. (Not sure how long the trip takes though)

-Last bus to Positano leaves at 22:00.

I really don’t plan to be taking that last bus from Sorrento, but I’ve got the info just in case. I also have all the bus and train times written down, so it appears that it is doable. An exhausting day, yes, but doable. Am I right?

Thanks so much. We really want to fit these two places into our limited time in the area and I don’t want to split them into two days. I just need to know that I’ve got the correct information if we decide to do it in one day.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to assume your transportation times are correct. BTW, the ferries will still be on the summer schedule until mid-October.

Yes, it's doable and, yes, it will be an exhausting day, especially if the temps are high. I think I would reverse the order and go to the museum first. Pompeii will be open until 7:30 pm, and when you're done there you're much closer to Positano. We spent more than 6 hours at Pompeii and about 3 hours at the museum. The museum opens at 9:00 am (closed Tuesdays).
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jean. I appreciate your input. I was planning Pompeii first based on some recommendations I had read here. Plus, factoring in the temperature, we would be arriving in Pompeii before it got too hot.

That said, I do like the idea of being closer to Positano coming directly from Pompeii; esp. if we are exhausted. I will definitely leave that option open!
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM

sherhatfield,

A couple of important things:

You cannot depend on the SITA buses to run on time or to even show up. When I was last there in Sept, the earliest morning bus did not show and I had to wait an hour for the next one. Made my trip down to Paestum too short!

A reserved in advance boat ticket or a private driver will be more dependable.

Also, I did not enjoy the Arch Museum as much as I expected due to the fact that they only take cash and cannot give change. Be sure to have a good stash of small bills! I was unable to rent an audioguide and the exhibits are only in Italian.

The part of the museum I enjoyed the most was the mezzanine level where the mosaics are. Amazing! You may want to spend most of your time there and then go on to other floors as time and energy allow.

I agree with getting to Pompeii as early as possible. It can be hot and dusty. Take your own water bottles, hat and sunscreen for sure.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can understand the thought about the heat in a.m. versus p.m., but you'll have to be very disciplined, organized in your wandering (or hire a guide), watch the time and force yourself to leave Pompeii by a certain time. The excavations cover an area equivalent to a medium-sized town. Others may disagree, but I found Pompeii itself more fascinating than the Pompeii artifacts in the archeology museum.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
kja

Hi, sherhatfield -

I loved both the site and the museum! I agree with Jean that it makes more sense to visit the museum first and the site later to maximize your time at Pompeii itself.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies! I appreciate the tips, Dayle.

Jean - you make a good point about managing our time. I think we will plan to hire a guide.