Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

POLL: Plan a trip to Rome in April?

Search
View Poll Results: Plan a trip to Rome in April?
Absolutely. COVID is overblown, in the North, and will be over by then
28.57%
Uhh... maybe? Does Prada make a Hazmat suit?
19.05%
AYFKM
52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 01:34 PM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact
Original Poster

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Plan a trip to Rome in April?

Old Mar 4th, 2020, 03:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Have not been to Italy since 81, and (coincidentally) have not required treatment for typhoid, syphilis or malaria since 81.

AYFKM
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My answer is...it depends. If we were in a high risk group, no. If I had never been to Rome and wanted to see the sites that are very crowded, probably not. But if we just wanted a relaxing holiday in Rome, we would be looking for bargains. As it is, we leave tomorrow for a month in France, finishing with a week in Paris.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 04:02 PM
J62

My work site has a mandatory home quarantine for anyone visiting a CDC level 3 or level 2 country, and these restrictions might very well get expanded to become local public health policy. Local policies are being update every day.

For me, I could make that work with my desk/phone/computer heavy job, but it would still be a pain.

Italy, being currently classified as a level 3 country would be on my do-not-go-there list simply for the probable disruption once I get back home.

AYFKM
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrails2
My answer is...it depends. If we were in a high risk group, no. If I had never been to Rome and wanted to see the sites that are very crowded, probably not. But if we just wanted a relaxing holiday in Rome, we would be looking for bargains. As it is, we leave tomorrow for a month in France, finishing with a week in Paris.
Just wondering if you are a bit nervous about going to France? We are scheduled to leave on April 10 for a month, too. I don't want to cancel. We are taking a wait and see attitude, and will make a final decision just before our departure date. Where else are you going in France? We will be in Provence and French Riviera. I realize whether or not to travel is a personal decision for everyone. I know I would definitely not go to Italy.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 04:14 PM

Not in April. Currently plan to be there from June 5th for about 6 days traveling to northern Italy and on to Switzerland. I am definitely in high risk group. Right now it’s wait and see. Have Plan B for traveling mid- July. But looking at other options too.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 04:21 PM

I have zero issues right now living in France. We just returned from a wonderful 6 days in Paris and except that the Louvre was closed for one day - why? - couldn't fathom why anyone would be panicking, except that, well, people panic. We did notice that there were hardly any Asian groups on the streets or in the stores or at the museums.

The only reason I would not travel elsewhere in Europe would be if things were closed or I was at risk of being quarantined, which I do not see happening. It's for that reason, and that reason only, that I wouldn't travel to northern Italy at the moment, not out of fear of catching the virus.

Things are changing daily, though, so I guess one needs just to keep abreast of the latest news.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 04:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Freinds were just in Paris for the week and said the employees didn't show up to open the Louvre but the days they were open the lines were still long. She made an appointment at LV but was not needed.
We will be in France end of May but Italy would be a big no right now. We fly space a military occasionally and they aren't flying to Naples or Sicily the month of March. They are checking everyone flying in and out of Germany for fever and a zillion questions. Rota flights and Midlenhall flights are still on scheule.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 04:59 PM

KarenWoo- we are not nervous, but we are taking precautions like bringing antiseptic wipes to use on the plane (seatbelt buckle, tray table, arm rests), which might be pointless but we’re doing it anyhow. We’re also taking extra prescription meds in case we get stuck somewhere. It’s a running joke with us that we have never been able to see the catacombs in Paris because they’ve always been closed due to renovations or worker strikes. We decided to skip them this trip because viruses tend to thrive in dark, damp places. Yes, this is a serious and highly contagious virus, but 80% of the cases are classified as mild. The death rate is greater than the flu but much lower than than we saw with SARS and MERS, neither of which spread as easily as COVID-19.

We will be in the countryside on the west side of France, from Bordeaux to Bayeux.

Last edited by HappyTrails2; Mar 4th, 2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 06:09 PM
kja

Plan a trip? Why not! The plans will serve you well if you decide to cancel for April and go another time.

But as for your poll, well, I'll admit from the outset that I'm about to be a debbie-downer. Read on at your own risk!

IMO, there are very serious -- and very personal -- considerations to weigh when considering whether to travel any where, Rome included, in the midst of an uncontrolled spread of a potentially deadly virus. I don't think it is funny to suggest that thinking it is overblown is a legitimate option. I don't think it is funny to suggest that the alternatives are frivolous. I think we should ALL be encouraging each other to consult authoritative sources (e.g., the CDC and the WHO) and to make serious, well considered, and thoughtful decisions that consider (a) our personal health, (b) our risk of quarantine, and (c) the risk that we will convey the virus, however unwittingly, to others -- and that means coming and going.

JMO.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 06:25 PM

Don’t know about anyone else, but I am certainly following your suggestions. At this point in time no one can say what the situation will be one, two, three, four months from now.

BTW, I did think the option of a Prada Hazmet suit was funny. Sometimes a little humor is not necessarily a bad thing. Although I keep updated via CDC and WHO and am doing everything I can to be safe, I refuse to adapt a gloom and doom attitude.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 06:28 PM

Kja +1.
I just cancelled my lifetime dream trip departing mid April into Bologna.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 07:02 PM
kja

Originally Posted by historytraveler
BTW, I did think the option of a Prada Hazmet suit was funny. Sometimes a little humor is not necessarily a bad thing. Although I keep updated via CDC and WHO and am doing everything I can to be safe, I refuse to adapt a gloom and doom attitude.
Good point, historytraveler!
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm over 60 and immuno-compromised. I.e. high risk. Have no plans to travel anywhere right now and certainly not Rome, which is low on my revisit list and in a country which currently has a level three CDC advisory. April is less than a month away.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tricky, is there someone in the office who is a native born English speaker?
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 06:53 AM

Some flights to Italy are cancelled through early May. I wouldn't schedule a trip before mid-May to be honest, and I wouldn't book anything nonrefundable.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dayle
Kja +1.
I just cancelled my lifetime dream trip departing mid April into Bologna.

I'm so sorry this happened, Dayle. I know how you were looking forward to this and I was looking forward to hearing about your trip. As kja said, save your plans and I hope you will be able to take the trip very soon.

I do think cancelling was the wise thing to do. Italy seems to be hit especially hard and despite some of the comments coming from Washington, this virus should not be taken lightly.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 07:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<IMO, there are very serious -- and very personal -- considerations to weigh when considering whether to travel any where, Rome included, in the midst of an uncontrolled spread of a potentially deadly virus. I don't think it is funny to suggest that thinking it is overblown is a legitimate option. I don't think it is funny to suggest that the alternatives are frivolous. I think we should ALL be encouraging each other to consult authoritative sources (e.g., the CDC and the WHO) and to make serious, well considered, and thoughtful decisions that consider (a) our personal health, (b) our risk of quarantine, and (c) the risk that we will convey the virus, however unwittingly, to others -- and that means coming and going.>>

Absolutely, kja. Left to myself I would happily trot off to Venice right now and enjoy seeing it in as uncrowded a state as it's probably been in 50 years and simply sit this thing out in Italy, but then if I had only myself to consider I'd have moved there two years ago anyway after my DH died. But the fact is that my kids live with me, and my mum who moved down to live near us just over a year ago is partially dependent upon me so it just isn't an option. So I will be sitting this out at home and trying to be as careful as common sense and living a normal life permits.

<<Some flights to Italy are cancelled through early May. I wouldn't schedule a trip before mid-May to be honest, and I wouldn't book anything nonrefundable.>>

I am fast coming to terms with my trip to Spain in June not happening. Fortunately the only non-refundable part is the flights which were less than £100.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 08:51 AM

I am so sorry, Dayle, about your trip. I hope you will be able to reschedule in the not too distant future.
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 12:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Dayle, hopefully you can rebook your Italian trip for later in the fall when, hopefully, the virus has disappeared. We have had too cancel several trip s and always were able to go on them later, sometimes a year or two! We are considering canceling a trip to Iceland in June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -