Poll: Favorite things in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're honeymooning in EUROPE (Paris, Venice, Florence & Rome).

We'll be in Paris May 6-9.

I want to know every favorite thing from each of you incredible Fodorites (I've only been on Fodor's for 2 days & I'm hooked!)

give me info on your favorite:

restaurant/street/market/shop/museum/church/cafe/bakery/chocolate store/ice-cream shop

i can't wait to read your replies!!!!
THANKS!
-olga
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Paris is my favorite city in the world and many on this site love it and provide endless suggestions. Just as you have been advised that you can search the forum for Rome favorites, so you can search it for Paris favorites. To give you a head start, my favorite cafe is the Cafe Bonaparte at the corner of Rue Bonaparte and Place Iglise Ste. Germaine des Pres in the 6eme. It has the best croissants, cafe au lait and people watching and should be wonderful in May.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 12:47 PM

YIkes!
Restaurant: Le Fumoir (so far)
Museum: St. Chapelle & Carnavalet
Church: St. Severin; Notre Dame
Cafe: Don't have a favorite yet, only been 3 times, still testing <GRIN - someone's got to do it!>.
Bakery: Its in front of the church at St. Severin ...
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Will also be in Paris early May and I was thinking of starting a thread like this, so THanks. Looking forward to reading all responses.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Paris is also my favorite city on planet earth. It's everything you think it will be and more!

My favorite restaurant in Paris is 404, a Moroccan restaurant that's low on pretension and high on food (the couscous is the best anywhere!)
My favorite creperie (actually it's a window stand) is on the northeast corner of Rue du Faubourg Montmartre and Buulevard Hausmann (actually, I don't think it's called Blvd Bausmann at that point, but Blvd Poisson-something). The crepe with banana, nutella and whipped cream is sublime.
That's just a sample. Enjoy. And remember, everyone has two favorite cities - their's and Paris.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Rotisserie du Beaujolais, Quai de la Tournelle for the roast chicken and garlic mash (Reine Blanche on Ile st Louis would be if it is still around, rumours of change)

Like Champs Elysee for vistas, any street along Seine for views, some of the cobblestone streets in Village St Paul, rue de L'Ancienne Comedie near St Germain for old world feel, streets/walkways around Places des Voges and Palais Royal, main street (aka St Louis en Ile) Ile St Louis for its villagey charm....and many more

market on Rue de Buci or Rue Monge, did also like flower/bird market on Ile de la Cite

Marmottan and Musee de la Moyenne Age (aka Cluny)

Church: St Chapelle

Cafe: another vote for Bonaparte (Croque Monsieur..mmmm), also like the one on Ile de la Cite near Conciergerie for its outdoor patio, some nice ones also at Place de la Bastille

Bakery...the next one down the block ..there are so many good ones..

Berthillon of course for ice cream...
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM
ira

For goodness sake, folks; just enter "Paris" in the "Search this Forum" box and you can spend the next week looking a favorite things.

I particularly like, rainbows on roses and whiskers on kittens....
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM

My favourite things are the Dior Homme stores...a little cheaper than London, and a much more complete and comprehensive selection of pieces are available.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:07 PM

I love to walk along the Seine around the Ile de la Cite early in the morning just before and during sunrise.
You can learn a lot about a city by watching how it wakes up.
After sundown, my favorite place to be is in front of Sacre Coeur in Montmarte, watching the city light up.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:10 PM

You know, I hate to give you a general answer to your post, since you have asked for specific favorite things...but honestly, for my money, the very best thing about Paris is simply being there.

By all means, see the major sights, hit the churches and museums, go to the recommended cafes, bistros and restaurants. But take some time to stroll around, get lost, find your own little cafe, people watch, soak up the architecture, etc.

Paris has a sweet ambience all its own, and it would be a pity to miss it because you're too busy checking off the Louvre, Notre Dame, Laduree, blah, blah, blah.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, and have a wonderful stay in my favorite place on earth, Paris.

(Rome and Florence ain't too shabby, either, by the way. Haven't yet been to Venice.)
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Bridge: Pont des Arts

View: Roof of Samartaine

Building: Opera Garnier

Square: Place des Vosges

Gardens: Luxenbourg

Park: Bagatelle

Museum: Jaquemart Andre

City bus ride: #69

Coupes [ice cream treats]: La Creperie, in the Passage de Panoramas, Grands Boulevards Metro.

Lunch: Le Vaudeville

Dinner: Armand au Palais Royale

10 pm: At the Trocadero to see the twinkling lights on the Eiffel Tower.

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Ice cream is not Paris's strong suit, with a couple notable exceptions. Berthillon is the classic, but in the last few years it has been given a real run for its money by Amorino.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Oh, Ira, it's "raindrops on roses..."

For churches, Ste. Chappelle is very beautiful, but also don't miss Sacre Coeur in Montmartre. I think the dome inside is gorgeous. And if you approach it from walking up rue de Steinkerque, when you get to the top of the street, all of a sudden, there it is in all its glory.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies...can't wait to get there.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Restaurant -- our absolute favorite was Taillevant (but its extremely expensive); still expensive, but less so than Taillevant, is Chez L'Amis Louis

Museum -- Marmottan for the Monet's; and Natural History Museum (its been refurbished and is incredible)

Store -- Deyrolle (an incredible taxidermist on Rue de Bac)

Site -- catacombs

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 07:49 AM

We like to take one or two "Paris Walks" while we are there.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ng/PWTHOME.HTM

Our favorite is "Village Montmarte", but we also like the Marais walks. It gives you a little more detail for specific areas , things that aren't in the guide books. It helps to supplement your other wandering.

We also enjoy the organ concerts at St. Sulpice.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 07:58 AM

church: St. Chapelle
museum: d'Orsay, Cluny
Market: Rue Mouffetarde
Park: Luxemborg
Favorite stroll: Monteparnasse Cemetary
Favorite Activity: sitting for long periods at an outside cafe, people watching and taking coffee/wine.
When I'm not sure what to do, I tend to take a Metro to a stop I've never been to and then get out and wander.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned L'orangerie - a very small museum near Place de la Concorde. It houses Monet's famous "Water Lilies" in an oval room in the basement.

I lived in Paris in 92 and 94 as a student and then as an intern. Even spending that much time there I still haven't seen all of Paris. It is such a fabulous city. I agree with folks - if the weather is nice, just wander around. You, of course, have to see some of the sites, but just try to enjoy the city itself, as well!

I only spent a few days in Venice, Florence, and Rome. I remember loving Florence; liking Venice; and surprisingly not enjoying Rome as much as I had hoped (we did have bad weather and a bad hotel though, so that could explain it!)
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:25 AM

L'Orangerie has been closed for 4 or 5 years and won't be opening any time soon.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM

My NEW favorite market .Richard Lenoir nr Bastille..but Saxe Breuteil is still running a close second.

Museum..Jacquemart Andre followed by Nissan de Comondo

Shop..Oliver & Co , followed by any grocery store I happen across

Bistro..Chez Fernand rue Christine

Cosmetics...Cite Pharmacie..Rue Bonaparte & Rue du Four..(sometimes called Fouhety)

Building.. Opera GArnier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -