Poland, the place to be

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 03:19 AM
Jason Alan Graves

Poland, the place to be

As an American living in Italy for the past year, I have had the unique opportunity to travel to different places around Europe, one of those places being Poland. My first impression before visiting, was that Poland was a run down, post communist nation where people needed wheelbarrels of money to buy a loaf of bread. The reality was when I got there, I saw the most modern country which was peculiarly, American. You would have no difficulty finding somebody who speaks English, and probably better than yourself. The people are absolutely friendly, the food is great, the sites are beautiful. If planning a trip to Europe, definately place Poland as a top priority.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 05:53 AM
cmt

I read this, and thought it was a point of view worth noting and remembering. Then I read your rather bizarre anti-Italy posting. Unfortunately for Poland, you now have no credibility at all.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 09:27 AM
americaninitaly

The theme of these 2 posts, when taken together is:

Like America=good
Not like America=Bad

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 01:29 PM
Joanna

Oh dear Jason, you are putting me off visiting Poland ... "peculiarly American"???? "modern country"... I travel to Europe to see the history and experience the culture. And I couldn't give a toss if people speak English or not. It's fun to try to learn a few useful phrases and use them.

I do hope the old Poland hasn't disappeared and that they are not sacrificing their heritage for modernity. Those old squares look SO gorgeous.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 04:17 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

I can re-assure Ms White that Poland is Polish, not American. Elements are these. The Roman Catholic church holds a place there well ahead of that which all the churches together hold in America. One result is that Chrristmas in Poland is a Christian festival, held in Christmas and not in Advent, and centred upon the birth of Christ, not upon shopping. Poland sets out to maintain and develop good relations with the Baltic States, Ukraine, and even Byelorus, countries to which the USA gives limited attrention, since in that region American eyes are naturally set upon Russia. Poland embraces a market economy, but that if anything encourages the maintenance of city centres -- the glorious ryneks -- that are Polish, and not American. The worst you can say is that they allow too many umbrellas in city squares to promote CocaCola. As their power grows I can see them changing that, too.

True: the people are friendly, the food is great, the sites are beautiful.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]