Poland on our own

Search

Poland on our own

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poland on our own

We're planning a 2 - 3 week trip to Poland, May 2006. We'll fly into Warsaw or Gdansk & plan to rent a car. We don't have a set itinerary and will be seeing cousins for the 1st time. Will we have difficulty finding hotels as we go along? we'll stay in warsaw 3-4 days, hope to see Zakopane, Sandomierz, Krakow, Torun, maybe Gniezno. But we'd like to just stop & go as we please as we've done in Ireland.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 07:52 PM

depands which part of May but still you should have no problem ... also add to your list Ciechocinek (next to Torun) and Malbork, Gniew ... Gniezno ... you may want to skip and plan for more days in other cities... 3-4 days in Warsaw maybe too much - spend this around Krakow and Zakopane - where there are many other places in area to check out.

for car rental - check those guys -> http://www.lrc.com.pl/ - i've used them in past - and liked service and prices...
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Our travel agent tried to discourage us from travelling on our own. I know her job is to sell the tours, so that MAY be why she indicated it is not safe.My husband speaks fluent Polish, though he no longer "sounds" like a native Pole. Sounds like you have some experience with self-guided travel, Peter. What are your thoughts on the subject? We have had very mixed feedback on this matter.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:28 AM

I have been to Poland several times as most of my extended family lives there. The last time I visited was in 2002 - in addition to visiting family, I toured the country as well - a self guided tour with my husband. It was his first time visiting Poland. We encountered no difficulties or problems, although we found northern Poland a bit cool and wet, we also went in May. We did not make any prior arrangements except for the car rental. Have a great time!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Thanks so much for your input- there seems to be such a difference of opinion on the self-guided travel. I knwo a travel agent's job is to sell tours, but it should also be to sound advise to your client. Even though we had heard elsewise, our travel agent HIGHLY discuouraged us from traveling on our own. I am glad to hear that you did it with no problems. I am thinking that as long as we use our common sense, we will be fine. Travelling can be dangerous anywhere when you do not use your head or when you "advertise" the fact that you are a tourist!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Paulalou--

As I said to you in another post, I think way too many people out there try to instill fear of the unknown in travellers. If you want the scare end of the advice read the US State department's warnings regarding travel in a country. If you want balance to that, read the advisories from other English speaking countries such as Canada and Australia.

In addition to the more typical western European countries, we have travelled on our own with a rental can in these countries that some may be apprehensive about--Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, and the Yucatan of Mexico. We have never had any problems. The only place we had any problems with the rental car was in a small town in France where all of our hubcaps were stolen one night. this summer we plan to go to the Baltic countries and possibly St. Petersburg on our own.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Hi
We've traveled to Poland twice. Both times independently. The first time we rented a car and came from Slovakia through the Tatras to Krakow and the adjoining area. We took a tour to the Salt mine which was a mistake, I could have done as well. The second visit we spent a week in Warsaw, which was probably 2 days too many. We had a car rented but the weather was awful in late sept. It rained and more rain was predeicted for the area we wanted to visit, going east toward Ukraine. I'm planning a third visit this fall coming from Germany and visiting northern Poland and Germany. we are intending to rent a car again. It's a fasinating country still trying to come to terms with it's past.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Paulalou - If you husband speaks Polish with an accent then that is another positive - he be treated as a King (and this is no joke) this will also allow you for better experiance in Poland - visit restaurants/shops and places which are great but where Polish is only language spoken. You also be able to buy tickets get directions etc. where Polish be very helpful... With a tour you be stuck to a schedule ... I would also recommand you renting a car - this will save you time and headaches - as well as allow you to see Poland outside of large cities like Warsaw Krakow or Gdansk... Unless you just want to visit those large cities then renting a car be a waste (parking - not much of it and expensive)...

Which parts / cities are you thinking about visiting?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:38 AM

We know up front that this will not be our only trip to Poland. We plan to return nex year with our three adult children ( in their 20's). So there is no push to seei t all at once.

Our original plan was to take 10 days to do Warsaw and the key cities in Southern Poland, back to Warsaw and then spend 2 days in Lomza with the side trip to the Bozenica area, where my husband was born. It is a very small place - actually, he calls it a hamlet, not even a village, so there will be no need to spend an inordinate amount of time there. My family originates from Bialystok, but as I am several generations removed, we could postpone that side trip to our next year's trip, perhaps with parts of northern Poland.

Any thoughts on OUR thought process?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:19 AM

For your first trip I would agree with you and would recommand you doing Southern Poland first - I would even skip Warsaw and fly directly to Krakow (LOT Polish Airlines offer that as well as others, for same price as in Warsaw) ... spend few days in Krakow (don't rent a car while in Krakow since all of old city is closed to traffic) ... then rent a car a go all over - 10 day be way to short - but doable for major sites ... if you do get stuck with Warsaw or still like to see Warsaw - then you have a good connection between Warsaw and Krakow by Train and Bus ... sice having a car in those 2 cities will be a waste of your $$ cash... You can search my posts on this forum for things to see in southern Poland, and ask if you need more info...
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Decision time! Gdansk is in the north of Poland, Warszawa in the center and Krakow in the south. Use a map to plot your stops. Yes, a car may be best. Trains can be unsafe! Ryanair is currently serving many Polish cities from London and soon from Dublin. If you are in the north, consider visiting Lichen! Oswiecim or other holocaust sites are awesome but Lichen is of a different 'awesome' kind. Today, Poland has hotels and motels along most highways. You can stop and ask to see a room. As far as I know they are all ok.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Catherine. We're meeting with our travel agent this week to book the flight. We're mapping a very flexible itinerary-starting in Warszawa then going south to Kazimierz Dolny, Krakow, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Torun, Biskupin and who knows where else we can go to in 4 wks.