Reload this Page >

Pls help with Italy Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:04 PM
nancy

Hi, Please let me know your advice or input if this is good idea expecially the hotels I reserved for now:<BR><BR> <BR>11-Oct F D1 Naples airport<BR> bus to Pompeii<BR> bus Sorrento/Positano<BR> Spend the night at Villa Rosa (124E)or Hotel Conca d'oro (136E)<BR>12-Oct Sa D2 bus to Amafi, look around a little<BR> bus to Caserta for hour/two<BR> Naples train station to Rome<BR> Spend 4 nights at domus julia (130E) or Suite Navona (210E from CAESAR HOUSE RESIDENZE ROMANE)<BR>13-Oct Su D3 Vatican -see the Pope?<BR>14-Oct M D4 Rome<BR>15-Oct T D5 Rome<BR>16-Oct W D6 bus/train/drive to Siena and check into Florence<BR> Pendini hotel (150E) or Hotel Morandi alla Crocetta (160E)<BR>17-Oct TH D7 Florence<BR>18-Oct F D8 Train to Venice<BR> Hotel Sturion (200E, no view) or Hotel Rialto (217E, CA' RIALTO, their annexe located at few steps from the main building)<BR>19-Oct Sa D9 Venice<BR>20-Oct Su D10 Venice<BR>21-Oct M D11 Fly out of Venice @10:30am by water taxi or vaporetta<BR><BR>I still can't decide on these particular items: <BR>- Should we drive from Naples airport then return the car next day instead of the public transportation to hit all the places? My husband enjoys driving and he can drive a stick if needed. <BR><BR>- Should we then rent a car from Rome to Florence as we would like to visit Siena for couple hours on the way?<BR><BR>This may sound too busy for some but I do want to get as much as possible without killing ourselves. Very excited to leave in 2 weeks!! Thanks much for any input you can give! Nancy<BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:12 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Not bad ! I am not sure what to change.<BR>For Venice look at Locanda Barbarigo and take the Villa Rosa in Positano. For Florence, toss a coin, but you may prefer Morandi alla Crocetta. I do not see where you will need a car. Good luck

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:36 PM
nancy

Hi Bob, thanks for your quick feedback. You don't think the Naples-Amafi is too ambitious with public transportion? I have been trying to find the scedules and such for the towns and no luck. Other than the Amafi coast drive, the drive should be okay? As for Rome-Florence,my concern is that there is no stop to Siena on the way from the fast train. I don't want to spend too much time on a slow train nor backtrack from Florence. Am I missing other alternatives? Thanks again!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:39 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Train to Florence from Rome in less than 2 hours. If you must see Siena, do it by bus from Florence. The Naples to Sorrento thing is hassle, but goes with the territory. I am not sure you have time for Caserta. Oh yes, the local train goes to Pompeii Scavi--why the bus? Take Circumversuviana there and then on to Sorrento. Good luck !

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Alice Twain

On your plans about Oct 12, I realy think that you are a bit too many thngs to be done in one day only. You should either leave Amalfi out or leave Caserta out. Neither of these places can be seen in but a few hours, and you also have to leave enough time to get to the railway station, catch the train to Naples, leace the railway station and get to the hotel, check in, get settled and go to the restaurant for dinner. If I were in you, I would leave Amalfi out ad spend the most part of the day in Caserta (the Reggia is a real jewel, one of the brightest jewels of Italy) or do the toher way round and leave Caserta put and do some sightseeing in Amalfi, which is a bit too touristy, Imho. Also, consider cutting off one day in Venice, adn sticking it to your stay in Florence. Take the train from Rome to Florence and rent a car for one day while in Florence and make a trip across the Tuscan countryside to Siena (do not use the Superstrada Firenze-Siena, the best views can be enhjoyed only from the smaller countryside roads).

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
nancy

Bob & Alice - Thanks for your advice! I may need to adjust the itin on the first day since time is really short. I am reluctant to cut one day off Venice just because we will probably get into Venice very late in the afternoon and then have only 2 full days since we have to catch the 10:30am plan Mon morning. I am excited as I just got confirm for the Vatican Scavi tix for 10/14 (11:30am)! If the Pope will not conduct his Sunday blessing on 10/13, we will make the one visit to Vatican on Monday since it's supposed to be much less crowded. Thank you both again!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:12 AM
gac

You don't need a car for this itinerary. From Florence to Siena, you can take the non-stop bus, or the slower local bus which stops along the way, avoids the autostrada, and takes you to small scenic towns in between. From Siena to Rome, there is a direct bus (SENA lines) or you can go by train and change in Chiusi. Along the Amalfi Drive, buses run every 30-60 minutes throughout the day.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Laura

We did this trip last year, and we took the express bus from Florence to Siena and back. We enjoyed the trip and had plenty of time to wander around Siena and tour the duomo. Catch the sunset in Siena- those photos are some of my very favorite from the trip!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:55 AM
nancy

Laura/Gac, Thanks for your advice! Maybe I will just get into Florence early afternoon and hit Uffizi/Accademia<BR>that day, then bus to Siena next morning for half a day. Return to Florence @PM to visit Uffizi/Accademia.<BR>How long would the bus take and where I I get the scedule? I would like to head out very early (maybe 7am?) to get the most of the morning in Siena. Thanks again!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Alice Twain

Gac:<BR><BR>Suer, you can use the bus, bit the great part of travelling fro Florence to Siena is not seing Siena (ok, it's a nice city, but too much of a tourist trap!). The great part is geting lost in the hills of Eastern Tuscany, an you can do this inly by car. I hate cars, I really loathe them, I can't even drive, but for travelling from Florence to Siena you really must have a car (and keep off the Superstrada).

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:26 AM
nancy

Hmm, looks like my last comment did not post....<BR>Hi Alice,<BR>Thanks for your advice. I think we will drive from Florence to Siena early in the morning. Is Superstrada a highway? What is the fastest & most scenic way to get to Siena? Thanks!