Pls help with drive times: Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're in the early planning stages for a trip to Italy in late April. We have 14 nights--in country. Love Rome, thus the flights in and out of FCO. We have also been to Florence, but the weather was terrible and we want to see more.

I would appreciate some input on the Tuscany portion. We do not mind moving around a lot. But we wonder if this is too much?

ROME--3 nights (Could make this 2, if we arrive early the first day)

Rent car in Orvieto, drive to
MONTALCINO: 3 nights

Day in Siena, then to
SAN GIMIGNANO: 2 nights (day trip to Greve, Radda)

Brief stop in Volterra, drive to La Spezia--return car.
CINQUE TERRE: 2 nights

morning train to
FLORENCE: 2 nights

afternoon train to
ROME: 2 nights

We may wait until we're in San Gim to reserve the hotel in CT. If the weather looks bad, we will skip CT & add nights elsewhere, probably Florence/Rome.

As for rental car, I think returning it in La Spezia may seriously limit our rental options. Would it be better, after a morning stop in Volterra, to return the car in Pisa and catch the 1pm train to La Spezia?

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 05:20 AM

I suggest staying in Siena than in San Gimignano.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 05:26 AM
ira

Hi JB,

>As for rental car, I think returning it in La Spezia may seriously limit our rental options. <

Why not check with the rental agencies?

www.novahirecar.com and www.autoeurope.com might have offices in LS.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:17 AM

>I would appreciate some input on the Tuscany portion.<

My input is that you have a good plan - no need to change it...
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

francophile:
We have gone back and forth: Siena or San G? We can leave that undecided for now...the rest of the itinerary doesn't depend on our leaving from San G.

Ira:
Yes, I need to do some checking. Do you think it would be better to drive on to La Spezia as opposed to turning in the car in Pisa?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Hi Jeanne - Most of the main rental companies (- Avis, Hertz, Europcar, Maggiore ...) have offices in La Spezia.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:45 AM

When i drove on side roads in Tuscany i found that during the long noon hour, from about noon to 2pm the roads were basically deserted and i could make much better time than at other times of the day - the roads are rather sinuous and a truck can back up traffic, etc. So keep your mileage down, which i think you have done well. You should have no problem with drive times between your relatively close by stops.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:45 AM

You'll have a wonderful trip - late April should be perfect! I know you'll receive many opinions on this, but we much prefer San Gimignano to Siena. We loved it so much, we stayed 3 nights at Antico Pozzo - highly recommended. We've been to Siena twice - it's just not our cup of tea, I guess, for overnighting. I think you have a great plan! I, too, love Rome. We've rented a car in both Orvieto and Chiusi. We found Chiusi to meet our pickup times better (through Autoeurope). Happy travels!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

Chiusi is probably more likely than Orvieto, which we would love to see. But picking up in Chiusi would allow time to visit Montepulciano that day.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 08:23 AM

JeanneB,

Your trip sounds wonderful. I've been to all your planned towns and agree! My only suggest is, if I remember correctly Volterra is further south than San Gimignano and it might be better use of time to see it on the way to Siena or SG? Just check your map.

Also, I if you really want to see Orvieto, I would not hesitate to pick up there, not much difference or distance between there and Chiusi. On my last trip, I pick up in Chiusi and it seemed the train got to Chiusi just about 20 minutes after passing Orvieto.

buon viaggio!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

If we stay in Siena instead of SG, we may take the 2nd Sienna day to see Volterra and San Gim (giving up the Chianti day).

We would then have the option of driving from Siena to CT via the autostrada (Florence). Mappy prefers that route---2 hrs 14 min. Funny, when I checked Sienna/Pisa/La Spezia it came up with exactly the same travel time.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Actually, it doesn't matter---we could do the Volterra day trip from either Siena OR San Gim. Then take the autostrada to CT.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Have a great trip!
You have a wonderful plan, and really it's all so beautiful, you can't go wrong.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM

While I like Siena, and LOVE sitting at the edge of the Campo people-watching, we prefer San Gimignano to stay in, and have stayed there several times.

While the main streets (street?) of San G. is horribly crowded during the day with day-trippers, in the evening and in the morning it is magical. We've spent hours in the Piazza del Cisterna, fortified with some of Italy's best gelato (disclaimer: of the places in Italy that I've visited), watching mostly locals hang out. (In the evening, there's an entire lineup of old men on leaned-back chairs in the Piazza that joins on the Piazza della Cisterna.)

Even during the day, there are few tourists on the many side streets.

One of our favorite restaurants in Italy is Dorando, on a deserted side street. A modern twist on traditional cuisine. We have also enjoyed La Terrazze and the Bel Soggiorno's restaurant.

There is a beautiful path that winds around the entirety of San G's walls, with beautiful views of both the countryside and the olive groves that run right up to the walls.

By the time we return from our daytime journeys around the area, cars are streaming away from the town, and we've never had difficulty finding parking outside the walls. I'm not as familiar with the hotel/parking situation in Siena, but it might not be as convenient.

Just wanted to describe what I like, but either way, Siena or San G., you'll have a wonderful experience.

And if you go to Volterra, and are interested in Roman ruins, make sure you visit the remains of the theatre on the north (I think) end of town.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Uh oh. We're beginning to have 2nd thoughts about Cinque Terre.

We realized we're only spending 5 nights (4 1/2 days) in Tuscany. That may be cutting it too short. We've only been to Italy in deep winter and we're anxious to see "warm Italy": nights in piazzas with music/wine, outdoor dining, green hills/valleys. Though we'd love to see CT, we're now thinking:

Montalcino - 3 nights
San Gim - 2 nights

The other 2 nights in Assisi, Cortona, or Siena.

I'm leaning toward Siena, as we would like to experience it at night. (We do not want to drive on country roads after dark.) We could see Cortona and Assisi as day trips from Siena, couldn't we?
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM

According to viamichelin, here are the driving times for the towns in your original post-

Orvieto-Montalcino 1 hr. 33 min

Montalcino-Siena 54 min.

Siena- San Gimignano 43 min.

San Gimignano-Volterra 39 min

Volterra- La Spezia 2 hrs. 3 min

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Just a couple of suggestions:

Don't just pick up the rental car in Orvieto. Assuming the agency is near the train station which would be in the lower part of the city, make time to go up to the old town. Spectacular!

And if you're thinking day trips, I would think Cortona would be more central, allowing you to go east to Assisi one day, west another day to Siena (although that would not allow you an evening experience). I'd add a day to Cortona from Montalcino.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:17 AM

We just got back from a week in Montalcino. Where are you staying?
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Right now we're thinking Il Giglio.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Flame,
I see you stayed at the Dei Capitano. It looks great.

I had it bookmarked; don't know why I passed it over. Is it an easy walk into town or would you drive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -