Pls critique this plan for spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our current thinking - pls let me know your opinions and suggestions for changes. However, the hotels and number of days in each city are pretty much set and can't be changed without significant penalty. Arrive - madrid about 3pm on a Thursday afternoon; get to hotel, have dinner, get oriented and crash. Spend next Day (Good Friday) walking and at the Palace. staying at the Palace Hotel. On Saturday, check out of hotel, go to Prado and then to AVE to Seville. Go to mass on Easter Sunday in seville, evening is open at this point (bullfight tickets are runinng 400e/person), see a flamenco show and local sites. Spend Monday and Tuesday touring Seville. (Ideas on 'not to miss attractions and restuarants?). Pick up car on Tuesday am in Seville and drive to Malaga - stop at pueblos blancos on the way. Again - what are the key stops? Stay in Malaga for 3 nights at La Quinta. See Alahambra (what else?) On Friday- fly via iberia to Barcelona and spend three days. DH has been there and will act as tour guide. Staying at H10 Marina hotel for those nights. Fly via iberia to madrid on Monday night and overnight before flight home early Tuesday morning. I know it sounds like a lot but we are not the kind of foks to sit in a cafe and watch people. Sugestions on what to see, nice restaurants tat are not too touristy, etc will be appreciated!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM

You need more time in Madrid IMO - I spent three full days. There is a lot to see and do; I recommend other art museums, including Reina Sofia and especially Thyssen - awesome museum.

You don't need the full day at the Palace. Be sure to see the Cathedral 1 minute away.

I'm just re-reading your message to note that you can't really change dates and times. Oh well.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Since Prado is closed on Good Friday, we'll have the entire day to see the Palace and Cathedral. Hopefully the weather will be good and we can do some walking as well and see other museums if they aren't also closed for Good Friday. We'll also be dealing with jet lag that day. Kids are more resilient that I am!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 08:07 AM

We were in Spain last April and loved it. I would definitely recommend walking around the old part of Madrid. There are many churches and winding streets to find adventure. On our first day in Madrid we rode the bus around the city (they are double decker and you can sit up top and see most of the city) and it was a good way to get acquainted with the city.

In seville - you must do a carriage ride around the city. Spectacular! I could have done without the bullfight. Look for a traditional flamenco show.

Alhambra is a most see. Get there early (before they open and plan to stay the entire day).

Definitely plan to bring back olive oil (the best I have ever tasted). Also leave some room int he budget and luggage for some pottery. The pottery from Seville and Granada were my favorite. There is a store across the street from the prado in Madrid that probably has the best prices and a great selection for pottery. the store has figurines/statues of period people on the facade. The pottery is upstairs.

If you get the chance to go to Cordoba, there is a restaurant that you must go to. It is in the across the street from the big mosque and I think rose is intits name. You go through a little iron gate to get to it.

You and your family are going to love Spain. Have fun!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM

the alhambra is in granada, not malaga, so calculate your driving time there. quite a long day trip considering trapsing around alhambra gardens.

there are a lot of sevilla restaurant and attraction threads. i wrote a short report . too a few weeks ago. click on my name to find it. ( i am not sure how to reprint site here)

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM

you are going to financially support bullfighting?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

No we aren't supporting bullfighting with the tickets running around 400e each; we will go to the ring and tour the museum I'm sure. I have tickets to Alahambra for the afternoon so we'll be able to drive up there (abou 60miles I think), walk around, see the place and then have dinner before driving back. DH is very comfortable driving in Europe as he spends about 3 weeks every month there.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

just rechecked - from our hotel its about 82 miles to Granada. I asked if they had guided tours like we've taken in Paris and Munich for this kind of day and was told no. Does anybody know of a tour company that the hotel doesn't?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:57 PM

if you get an early start you will be fine. (just didn't know if u were aware of distance).

you need to dump car when you get to granada.. and then take taxi up to alhambra. driving in that city, even knowing which highway exit/entrance to take is difficult as you actually circle around the town as you approach.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:41 AM

Monday after Easter is also a holiday in Europe, LOTS of things will be closed so check your itinerary to make sure you make allowances for it.