Plrse look at my hotels and itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jsut booked everything for our honymoon starting on the 1st of June and I was looking on some feed back on my hotels. I will take all recomendations of things to do etc.

4 nights Rome Hotel Borocco
3 nights Capri Hotel Luna
3 night Florence Hotel Plaza Lucchesi
2 nights Venice San Clemente Palace

WE ill be taking the train from Rome -Capri-Florence-Venice.

Where can I get acurate train scheduale guides, I have heard rail Europe is not accurate.

Thanks all
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:00 AM

accurate information (but I don't think June is posted yet) is at www.trenitalia.com
Although from time to time it seems impossible to get the site to work.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Hi Annette,

I would eliminate Capri from this trip and stay with Rome, Florence, Venice. It's going to take you the better part of a day to get from Capri to Florence (hydrofoil to Naples, cab to train station, 2-2.5 hrs to Rome, 1.5 hrs to Florence plus waiting time for connections).

If you feel strongly about seeing Capri then I would combine Rome, Capri, and the Amalfi coast or Sorrento.

I'm not familiar with your hotels so I can't comment. You could do a search and perhaps come up with some feedback. There is also tons of info here on what to do in those places.

The Italian train schedule and prices is found at:

http://www.trenitalia.com/home/en/
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Of course, everyone will feel differently, but I don't think I would eliminate Capri. I think the hydrofoil and train to Florence will be a pleasant trip and part of the adventure. Although it will require most of a day, you'll be seeing lots of Italy during that day. Italy is a lot more than 3 or 4 destinations. It's the entire countryside that you pass; the laundry hanging out the windows, the long remnants of stone walls and aquaducts, the fields of red poppies. I love train travel in Europe.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Please don?t eliminate Capri! I stayed at the Hotel Luna and it was beautiful! The magnificent view from the hotel terrace will stay with you always. The island, the shops, the blue grotto . . . amazing.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:17 AM

I agree about NOT eliminating Capri. Others sometimes try to do all four of these in a week and then my advice would be to get rid of one of them. But with your schedule, go for it. Capri may well be the most romantic spot of your honeymoon.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:24 PM

We arrived at Plaza Lucchesi in Oct. 2003 and were told we were not in their computer and even though I presented an e-mailed confirmation they didn't honor it. There were also several tour buses checking in while we were there and I suspected that may be one reason we were bumped. It was a very unpleasant experience and I think there are many other excellent choices availabe.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 01:39 PM
ira

Hi Bluebird,

At those rates, it would be helpful if you posted your comments to the Rants and Raves section.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Hi Annette,

Looks like I'm outnumbered about Capri. It is a lovely place; I just don't think one and a half days in Venice is enough.

Patrick - if you revisit this thread, why do you think Capri is more romantic than Venice?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

We are really in Venice for 2 full days and then have a noon flight back to NY. Even our travel agent trie3d to talk us out of Capria nd I wont have it my heart is set on it. I have been dying to go to italy and it is my number one place to go to in Italy. I know we probably wont return for many many years to come so I want to explore as much as we can. For those of you who have been to capri what would you say it the time it takes to get from the train to the island at your hotel in both directions. Im trying to estimate it for my trains.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Not so much my own opinion as that of others I've heard from. Maybe it's the smell of the flowers while strolling in the moonlight with the light bouncing off the distant sea?

While I love Venice, to some the "romance" is reduced by the crowds, the "crumbling architecture", and the devine tackiness and touristiness of it all.
Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying those things are turn-offs, just may not live up to the romantic mood of quiet seaside moonlit nights on Capri.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Annette, I took a boat from Sorrento. I don't recall how long it took but I know it was less than an hour.

I think Capri is a bouquet for the senses. The views from every corner are fantastic. There are lots of crowds, and certainly plenty of tacky tourist stuff, but I think you won't be disappointed.

While I find Venice unique and special, I never really felt it to be romantic. The three times I've been there, it's been so crowded that perhaps that distracted for me. There are certainly enough people who love it more than any place else.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Stayed at the Borocco Hotel in Rome about 7 years ago. It was very nice and the staff very friendly. It is very centrally located. A couple of blocks down the street you will find Trevi Fountain and also very nearby is the top of the Spanish Steps and Via Venetto. I think you will be very, very happy with your choice.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Venice is not even close to "all" tacky and touristy--unless you think Venice is only the stretch of the city along the infamous Daytrippers' Alley from the train station, to the Rialto, and on to P. San Marco. Large parts of the old city are almost totally devoid of tourists. Most concentrate on just 3 or 4 major sights.