Please tweak 2 days in Bruges!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2021, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 5 Texans arriving from Amsterdam. We have 2 that have visited Bruges previously. Please tweak our initial itinerary before heading to Germany.

Day 1 Train from Amsterdam, lunch at Mariloup
Historic Walking Tour

The Chocolate Line or the Old Chocolate House
Dinner at Pro Deo
Day 2 Historic Center, The Markt, Belfort, De Halve Maan Brewery, Basilica of the Holy Blood
Eat Sfeerbistro De Twijfelaar
Canal Cruise

What improvements would you suggest? Thanks.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 05:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bike rides along canal
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 06:28 AM

At one time there was an old convent where the nuns made lace. AFAIK it is no longer open but you might see some lace makers while shopping. Your itinerary looks full but do-able. It's a photogenic town. Please report back about this and your Amsterdam visit.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 08:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is worthh looking out for the houses in Bruges and Amsterdam which developed to look after Older single women or say Catholics in a Protestant country. Some unique structures and developed before the any welfare state. The Bruges lace museum and the chapel attached are small but fascinating. In either town you can access Belgian beer.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 08:30 AM

It's called Begijnhof.
This is the one in Brugge;
https://www.visitbruges.be/en/begijnhof-beguinage

The Chocolate Line is less traditional; they have some very unusual flavours. Both places will have great chocolate.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 09:34 AM

Yes, Tulips! Thanks.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 07:52 PM

Hi Philip, you will likely spend time in the historic centre when on the walking tour so the Markt and the Belfort will probably be taken care of on that first day. However I think this is a good thing because the brewery tour and (in my case) the Basilica will probably take up that extra time. Minnewater is a nice corner of Bruges to take photos (think swans on the water, pretty bridges). And of course you will probably not want every minute take up in your plan, it's nice to just hang out. I think the canal cruise is a good idea, and I agree about the begijnhof/ beguinage, maybe on the second day if the walking tour does not take you past there. You actually have a pretty good plan, I would not change too much.

Lavandula
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 02:25 PM

You will be seeing all the major places and plus some.

I think that a canal ride is a must as the boat driver will point out many places.

When you get to a place called Minnewater (Lake of Love) there is this gorgeous house that is now used for private funtions.

At the City Hall Square , there is a statue called Statue of Love that everyone takes a picture of.

Of course at the main square you can buy hot Belgium Waffles and walk about as you eat it.

I will post a few pictures

This is the Statue of Love across from the City Hall Square

This is the beautiful Minnewater ( Lake of Love) and that lovely house I had mentioned. This is on your canal ride.

I dined here at Tanner's Square ,the place with the red roof, the restaurant is called called Duc De Bourgogne. I got a window ride by the canal. Have a nice trip
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 11:18 PM

Pleases go see the Hans Memling paintings at https://visit-bruges.be/see/museums/memling-museum