Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please try to go somewhere in this green and pleasant land, apart from London!! Its only another city, after all

Search

Please try to go somewhere in this green and pleasant land, apart from London!! Its only another city, after all

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:55 AM
englishwoman

Enough said.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:19 PM
lisa

Don't understand your post. I'm going to guess you want to encourage people to go all over England. If so, why don't you just say so? London is one of the most fascinating cities in the world with so much to do and see.<BR><BR>By the way your statement should read It's only another city, after all. It's stands for it is. Enough said.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Mary

London is certainly more than "just another city"! England is lovely, and wonderful to visit many places, but don't undermine London. It's a unique city in this big world.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Diane

It is no different than when people come to the US. They go to New York, San Francisco etc,the cities. You don't often see people heading here because they want to check out Nebraska.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Skippy

<BR>The builders of the Tube undermined London!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:15 PM
MaryC

Dear Englishwoman,<BR><BR>I'm right now planning a trip to England/Ireland next year with my kids. Besides London, we plan to stay in Glastonbury, Dartmoor, & Stratford-Upon-Avon/Warwick Castle area. We'll also be doing the Astral Travels Stonehenge/Avebury/West Kennet Long Barrow/Silbury Hill/White Horses tour.<BR><BR>Perhaps on our way to Ireland we might stop in at Cardiff, Wales to look up some family.<BR><BR>Someday, I'd like to spend a week or two in the Cotswolds and then do a Coast-to-Coast walk in Northern England that I read about in National Geographic Traveler magazine.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>All in all, we hope to see quite a bit of your "green and pleasant land". Does that make you happy, dear??? ; )<BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Mina

Skippy...*groan*<BR><BR>However, I'll give you credit for that Jeremy Irons post. Very amusing.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:50 PM
rand

Yeah I'll bite.<BR><BR>'This green and pleasant land'<BR><BR>A Curch of England Hymn called 'the only way.' Date unknown.<BR><BR>Covered by Emerson Lake and Palmer on the album Tarkus in 1971.<BR><BR>Any further clues?<BR><BR>PS. Only three nights in London this year. Fourteen day rental to 'hit' Hereford Shropshire amd Wales.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Jimbo

Could it be the subject line refers to the final line of the hymn Jerusalem (words penned by William Blake), considerably more significant than "The Only Way"...??<BR><BR>Clearly all Englishwoman is saying is get out of London and live a little! See the sights of our "dark Satanic hills!"...

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:57 AM
Ben Haines

I agree with the original posting. Great world cities have much in common with one another. London, Paris and Berlin are cousins. So to find a more English taste it is good to visit not only London but also somewhere outside -- ideally not too touristed. I think of Leamington Spa, Lewes, and Shrewsbury, but there are plenty more.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:16 AM
jim

What about Devon and Cornwall?<BR><BR>No disrespect to London, it is a major international capital and very cosmopolitan, however it is not particularly "English", beyond the red buses and the bobbies which are all over in any case.<BR><BR>Someone said in a previous post they weren't keen on day trips out of London to Oxford etc. Don't take a trip, stay there!<BR><BR>The Randolph in Oxford is about my favourite hotel ever and a treat for Morse fans, the Bear at Woodstock lovely....<BR><BR>I'd add Arundel to Ben's list...has anyone stayed at Amberley Castle? Full on Norman Castle with four poster beds, the works<BR><BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:49 AM
kate

Rand, I've never heard of "The Other Way"! But the line comes originally from William Blake's book Milton (1808) which starts:<BR><BR>"And did those feet in ancient time<BR>Walk upon England's mountains green?"<BR><BR>It was subsequently twisted into a rather patriotic hymn "Jerusalem", a strong contender (along with "Land of Hope and Glory") for an alternative national anthem to "God Save The Queen", should we become a republic and The UK break up into 4 separate countries (a long shot, I know).

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:57 AM
kate

Sorry Rand, I meant "The Only Way" but I'm still none the wiser. Can you humm it for us?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:40 AM
paul

Excellently bizarre thread. Can I propose that the Welsh National Anthem "Land of Our Fathers" be adopted by Britain should we decide to cut off olde Lizs head and declare a republic. Always brings a tear to my eye and I'm English. <BR><BR>Long live the Celts!<BR><BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:23 PM
rand

Thanks Jimbo and Kate. Jerusalem it is. I remember singing it as a choirboy at school in South Africa (Republic of) and thinking it was all so bizare.<BR>It was covered by Emerson Lake and Palmer on their 'Brain Salad Surgery' album of 1973. Credits given to (music - Perry, Lyrics Blake).<BR>As to humming 'The only way', Raather dificult here.<BR><BR>God I am getting old.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:42 PM
JC

To someone grown up with bedtime stories such "The wind in the willows","The secret garden" and "Alice Adventures in wonderland",England countryside had always been fascinating.<BR><BR>To me,the best way to see the countryside is on foot(with the help of train and bus). Walking along Roman Raods,Saxon herepaths,medieval saltways or coastal paths,through some high streets of market towns,ancient forgetten villages,dreamlike green rolling hills,bushy canels paths and unique cottage gardens...,it is an endless journey.<BR><BR>FYI,I believe more than half of walking trips in U.K. are taken by foreigners.<BR><BR>Some suggestions: Chichester,Alwick,Whitby,Bosham,East Hendred.