Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please tell me the pro's & con's about staying at either the Hotel Du Lac in Verenna or the Eremo Gaudio Verenna

Search

Please tell me the pro's & con's about staying at either the Hotel Du Lac in Verenna or the Eremo Gaudio Verenna

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have confirmations for both of these hotels in August 07. Both get wonderful reviews both here and on Tripadvisor.

I am a solo traveller and Du Lac can offer me a room with breakfast but no lake view for 100 euro per night, Eremo can offer a rooom with breakfast, lake view and balcony for 95 euro per night.

I am swaying towards the Eremo but I am concerned about the walk from the town after dark. I have no problem with the day time walk from town or ferry but is the road lit at night (I am female & solo)?

I know the Eremo has a restaurant but I have not found any comments as to how good/or bad it is? Most people seem to go into the town for dinner and I do love Italian food.

Those of you who know Varenna, is it better to stay in the town or do the views at Eremo compensate for the walk?

Please help as I am very confused but must make my mind up soon.

Thanks,
Helen

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
cambe, I was in Como this October. I did not stay at Eremo Gaudio, but it was my second choice (a very serious consideration, even made temporary reservations which I cancelled), so when we were there, I wanted to see it. In fact, we were only able to see it from the boat/ferry. I was relieved that we did not stay there: while it indeed must have <i>spectacular</i> views, it is definitely a trek out of town, up a steepish hill, and a bit isolated. IF that's a plus for you, then go for it, because I have no doubt that staying there must be an unforgettable experience! We had a blissful view of the lake from our room at Albergo Lenno (which was one of our favorite hotels ever), but I can understand the appeal of something as unique as Eremo appears to be.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM

We stayed at the Eremo last September and we found the walk quite easy. It never took more than ten minutes to get down to the main part of town and the walk around the water and we felt completely safe. If you eat in town it's easy to get a taxi ride back up or we had some of the restaurant owners offer to take us back to the hotel. We never took them up on it though since it was a nice walk. The view at Eremo is outstanding. We had dinner on the outside terrace one night just because it's so beautiful. The breakfasts are good and the dinner was good also. Not outstanding, but not the most spectacular food you've ever had. We ate at Albergo Milano one night also because everyone raved about it and frankly we didn't tnink it was all that special.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM

I forgot to add that if you stay at Eremo Gaudio there's a cool hike up from the hotel to a castle.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:38 PM

Have stayed at Eremo. View is wonderful if it isn't foggy which is was most of the day when we were there in Oct couple of years ago.

Rooms as pretty basic. Road up to it is one lane with light two traffic way with several hair pin turns. There are two different funiculars you have to take to get to the hotel. Doesn't take long and have good views.

We're too old to hike up, but a family with a six and 4 year left restaurant about 2 minutes before we did and they got to the parking lot same time we did. Road and trail are not lit.

Only reason to stay is the view and it is wonderful. Have to go into town for food, etc.

We are planning to stay at Villa Cipressi next time we go. Little more but is right on the lake, bit worn but elegant still.

http://www.hotelvillacipressi.it/eng/banchetti.htm
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM

We stayed at the Du Lac a couple of years ago now, in September. We thought it was great. we had a lake view and a large terrace so obviously paid quite a bit more. We certainly enjoyed the view as the lake is magnificent so it would be good to have a room with a view so to speak.

We found the staff to be very helpful, rooms very clean and more than pleasant. Varenna is just gorgeous and the lake side walk from the hotel to the ferry end is lovely. Their breakfast room is right on the water's edge with the views of course.

Tough decision, good luck.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although you say your room at the du Lac would not have a view, the hotel's breakfast room has a spectacular view and the outdoor terrace (just off the breakfast room) is a piece of heaven. The walk from the du Lac to the ferry dock is right at the water line, and it's a very popular place to stroll in the late afternoon and evening.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just noticed the date of the original post, so I guess my comments are only of value to the bookmarking set.