Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please tell me about the drinks kir and pastis.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:38 AM
Celia Lynn

I've never had them and wish someone would describe them to me. Sweet? sour? dry? What? Thanks!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:53 AM
Ursula

Celia: I shall try to explain this with my best English:<BR>Kir is white dry wine and a small part of Crème de Cassis (blackcurrent?) you add. It's a very popular aperitif in France. Is nice and a little sweet. I like it. When doing it with champagne, it's called Kir Royal.<BR><BR>Pastis is an aniseed alcohol(like Raki in Turkey or Ouzo in Greece). You either drink it as an aperitif with water and ice or "sec" (nothing added) as a digestif. The French will also tell you to drink it "sec" when your stomach is a little upset. But it's rather tough to do that... as far as I am concerned.<BR><BR>Have a try. You might prefer the Kir, if you don't like the aniseed taste.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 11:53 AM
Rex

A kir is a "mixed drink" (technically a wine cocktail, I guess) -- not a beverage per se. It consists of white wine with creme de cassis poured in so that it sinks (partially) to the bottom. Or some people prepare them by putting the creme de cassis in first and adding the wine.<BR><BR>A kir royal (plural: kirs royaux) substitutes champagne for "still" white wime. It is an especially festive before dinner drink.<BR><BR>Pastis is a strong, licorice-flavored liqueur - - typically drunk over ice with 2 or 3 parts water to dilute it. Many Americans consider it an acquired taste. I think it is similar to ouzo. Many French will say - - "no, not at all!"<BR><BR>Both are clear (straight) and become cloudy with the addition of (ice and) water.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:07 PM
Ursula

Well, Rex, what do YOU prefer, Kir or Pastis? (just wondering)

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:13 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Had a pastis for the first time in Provence a few weeks ago and really liked it. It was served with a few large ice cubes in a half-full glass accompanied by a small pitcher of water for diluting it. I'm not a huge licorice fan, but I found it refreshing, and I liked the ability to manage the intensity of it with the water myself.<BR><BR>I also find a kir royal a very nice way to begin a meal in a nice restaurant.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:22 PM
John

Hey Rex,<BR><BR>What's the difference between yours and Ursula post, except to be repetitive

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:47 PM
Ursula

John! Rex and I wrote it AT THE VERY SAME time, that's why... ;-)<BR>This means, Rex was NOT repetitive!<BR><BR>PS: Rex: So what do you prefer, please.<BR>And is cassis blackcurrant in English? You are always so helpful (yes, I mean it) and my dictionary German-English is just.. well worth nothing. Whatever, I need to know, I cannot find. It's a huge but useless dictionary!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:28 PM
Brian in Atlanta

From my days of working in a Haagen-Dazs ice cream store, I remember that cassis and black currents are the same.<BR><BR>We sold a cassis sorbet that we required people taste before we'd sell them a whole scoop. VERY tart.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:45 PM
Rex

As Ursula points out, our posts went up within the same minute. Mine took at least 2 or 3 minutes to write.<BR><BR>You, on the other hand, probably pecked yours out in a few seconds. And although I am trying to be polite, these days, above all else, I'll refrain from saying what I think about you, and simply say it about your post.<BR><BR>Stupid.<BR><BR>Yes, I have had occasion to get a little peeved at all the name calling directed at me. Call this the only venting I will do today. Back to being a deaf frog.<BR><BR>To Ursula, I really like un kir royal - - we have them often for special occasions (much more here than in Europe). I can drink a pastis, if I am really hot, but typically I would prefer a lemonade or a Tequiza (an American brand of "Mexican" beer with slight lime and tequila flavors mized in).<BR><BR>I generally do not like many other French aperitifs - - like suze, for example.<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 03:03 PM
Dick

A couple odds 'n ends about Kir - The white wine originally used for Kir was Aligote, which is the second white grape variety grown in Burgundy (the first being Chardonnay), though any dry white will do. And, as I recall, the name Kir comes from a former mayor of Dijon (I think - may have been some other place nearby) whose name was Kir.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:37 PM
x

My wife and I serve kir or kir royale frequently to guests. She cooks French on such occasions so it goes well. My suggestion is that if you are planning to serve one or the other, the "safer" drink would be the kir. Otherwise you might find that your guests are drinking the pastis out of politeness. It truly is an acquired taste for the majority of people and, based on the meals we were invited to in France, not all that frequently offered. Seems that at a party there might be one or two men who would opt for pastis. <BR>Also, the best kir has only a touch of cassis, just enough to change the color slightly. A thimbleful or less.<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:58 PM
Celia Lynn

Merci! Vous etes tres gentil!<BR><BR>Now I have another fact. I love learning new things. <BR><BR>If my departure date doesn't hurry, I might practice on the above before I leave!<BR><BR>Will drink to your health in Paris!<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 05:46 PM
x

Well, yes you might drink some kir before you leave, but I would recommend that you sample some great French red wines. Splurge and buy yourselves a nice 1982 or 1989 Burgundy Grand Cru. My favorites are Chateau Gruaud Larose and Chateau Gramd Puy LaCoste. Either one with a beef tenderloin would be the divine dinner the night before you board your plane. The simplest meals are imo the best!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 06:10 PM
Jon

Creme de Cassis is a sweet/tart black currant liqueur. A Kir/Kir Royale is a teriffic apertif, but not necessarily intended to be a "during dinner" drink. We love to start a night out with a bottle of brut and cassis with friends. The cassis adds body to light white wines, sparkling or flat. Unfortunately, having fallen in love with the Royale variety, the simple Kir always seem to be lacking something...other than the obvious bubbles.<BR>As much as I love French Provincial food and tradition, pastis always remind me of ouzo hangovers in college, and I can't seem to acquire the taste. <BR>j.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Bob

Sorry Rex you can't win with some people even when you try. Try Kir Royal before dinner, very nice.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 05:53 AM
ja

So how do you pronounce Kir? Does is rhyme with 'sir' or 'dear' or ? Thanks.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Jon

Kir rhymes with "dear."

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Ursula

Rex, hello! Here we are again! <BR><BR>Are your sure that the plural would be "Kir Royaux"??<BR> <BR>Grammatically yes, I agree. But when ordering, I would say: "Deux Kir Royal s'il vous plaît"! As I would with two Heineken or two Budweiser (no plural or "s"). Well ,these ones are not SO good for an example... <BR>But would YOU order two "Sexes on the Beach" (THIS is a COCKTAIL over here, just to be clear)!<BR> <BR>I would take "Kir Royal" as fixed unvariable words.<BR>What about that?<BR><BR>Are there any French out there svp! Flo, coucou.... tu es là?

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Florence

Bonsoir Ursula,<BR><BR>I'm not sure which is right. I would tend to ask for 2 (preferably 4) Kir royaux. I think this is a serious dilemna, like should you be asking for 1 spaghetto, 2 spaghetti ...<BR><BR>Anyway, I think Kir is best with a dry white whine like Luins, or Mont sur Rolle.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Rex

I agree that "kirs royaux" borders on "prissy speak". How about "I'd like a kir royal, and one for my wife also" (and another one for good measure, perhaps?)<BR><BR>A lot depends on social context. I would never say "brothers-in-law" in front of "brother-in-laws" in southern Indiana. They think I'm wierd/egghead enough already as it is.<BR><BR>Best...<BR><BR>R<BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -