Family Visit CarrickonShannon (Leitrim) then trip to London/Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip at the beginning of August 2015 to visit family in Ireland (Carrick on Shannon, Leitrim) and then head from there to London (I've never been and would like to see the sights!) and then onto Paris (also have never been!)

Any suggestions on # of days needed to see London & Paris? Also, would this travel sequence be the best (Ireland -> London -> Paris)? if we are coming from New York?

We have a place to stay in Ireland as my family is renting a house but could use some suggestions on where to stay in both London & Paris.

Thank you in advance for your insights & suggestions!
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 02:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It makes absolutely no difference what order you do then three places -- just do put London and Paris back to back so you can take the train in between. So Ireland > Paris > London > Home; or Paris > London > Ireland > Home; Or London > Paris > Ireland Home -- all would work.

As for number of days for London and Paris . . . How many days do you have? No matter how long, it won't be long enough to see/do everything so just take the number of days you have and divide it in half.

There are MANY good areas to stay in both cities -- what is your budget? # or days? and do you want to rent an apartment or stay in hotels?
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response! We will def do London/Paris back to back as it would be more convenient. Most likely we will have 3 days for each and would most likely stay in a hotel or B&B. Budget would be up to $400/night.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 02:04 PM

Flying from Ireland (Dublin) to London (Gatwick), I have found the London Bridge Hotel a convenient place to stay.
There are frequent trains from Gatwick to London Bridge station and the hotel is literally minutes from there.
The hotel are quoting €1,000 for a double room, three nights in August.
Old Sep 2nd, 2015, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

We are back from our trip and thought I would share some details-

Carrick-on-Shannon: This was a very nice hub to stay in (based on the location of family members who live in Co.s Sligo/Leitrim/Longford). There were many small shops, cafes and hotels right in Carrick and it is on the river Shannon (boat tours available). There are also many pubs!
My parents rented out a 3 bedroom townhouse (roughly 460EU a week and it was right at the top of the town with a few grocery stores close by. We flew into Dublin and took the bus down to Carrick which took roughly 2 hrs. Once off the bus, it was a short walk to the townhouse so everything was very convenient.

London: Loved, loved, loved this city!! It was my first time visiting. We stayed at The Cavendish on Jermyn St. which was a great location for walking to many local attractions (St. James Park, Buckingham Palace, Churchill War Room, the theater distict (we stopped in to the Theatre Royal Haymarket and were able to get tickets to the closing night of the Elephant Man w/ Bradley Cooper - one of the highlights of our stay in London!). If you don't mind walking further, you can walk to the London Eye. We took a boat tour to Greenwich which was a lovely little town with many cafes and the Royal Observatory, Cuttysark, and the National Maritime Museum. We only had time to do the observatory & Cuttysark - both worth visiting!

Paris: First time visiting here too! We stayed at the Hotel Royal St. Honore. A fantastic hotel (full buffet breakfast included and the staff was very friendly and helpful). The location was great for walking to cafes and shops, the Louvre, and the Jardin des Tuileries at the end of the street. Would def stay at this hotel again when we are back in Paris.
We did a boat tour here as well. Probably wouldn't do this again as there were so many other tourists visiting and they were quite pushy. The boat tour goes at a pretty quick pace so you don't really have much time to take in what you are seeing. Much better to walk to sites (or take an Uber car if they are too far).

We had fantastic weather in both London & Paris. Ireland had quite a cool and rainy summer this year.

Took the Eurostar from London to Paris which was very convenient. Only caution is that once you arrive at the train station in Paris, the cabs outside will try to offer you the tourist rate (they wanted 85EU to drive us from the station to our hotel which was only about 10 min away). We took an Uber car which cost us 9EU.

Overall, a fantastic trip and would highly recommend the hotels in London & Paris.