Reload this Page >

Please, Solo traveler Italian Riviera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Lois

Been to Italy several times,Cinque Terre, Como, Capri etc. Have 14 days end April\early May. Needing to de-stress so NO car, will use pub. transport.Considering Santa Margherita as seems a good base for day trips & also seems like might be a good spot to just stay put & relax if I so choose.Questions: Ocean temps & general weather this time of year? Is this a good spot for a "solo" to relax yet keep herself from getting bored? Reasonable accomodation w\seaview & balcony? Within walking distances to outdoor cafes w\great seafood? Am I asking for too much? I am also a "jogger", is this possible there? Was in French Riviera last year & it was perfect but this year is Italy..Thanks in advance

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:43 AM
xxx

Hi, would you be spending the entire 14 days in SML? I think you'd get bored after a couple of days, and there are limited feasible day trips from there. A couple of days would be fine. What kind of atmosphere are you looking for? Would you be content to sit and read a book and relax on your own, are do you prefer to meet people? For the former, SML is fine, but I don't think it's conducive to the latter (compared with other places Ive been). I too like to chill for a couple of days by the ocean when travelling in Italy, and SML is a good choice, but I would recommend moving on to other towns as well.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:50 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lois, Hmmm--early May, stress free,solo travel, jogging. Let me suggest these 3 venues: Menton, SML, Varenna. That will be a fun itinerary. Take your camera.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Lois

Thanks for replies...Any other suggestions? I do realize that SML for a few days is plenty. Thinking I may travel down to Lucca..Ever been to Forti De Marni? Thanks

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Sara

-<BR>I've enjoyed visiting Lucca as a day-tripper. I like it as it's one of those walled cities. In fact you can walk around ON the wall or rent bikes for the day. Lucca is flatter than Siena, so it's easier on the legs walking around. <BR><BR>As to your weather & water question, that really depends upon what you find comfortable. For my body temps, the CT & SML are a bit cool at that time (end April/early May) for swimming. I was in Monterosso last May and sat on an outpost of rocks (at far end of beach) and dangled my feet in the water. Temps are quite lovely for walking around; especially if you're hiking the CT trails, you don't want it too hot. <BR><BR>