Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please share Bordeaux wine-tasting experiences

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Julie

We will be there in Sept. Before we write for appointments, I'd like to hear what Bordeaux wine-tasting appointments are like. Can I be presumptuous enough to say we'll be near your estate on x day at roughly y time and would like to have an appointment then or will they simply tell me when they are ready to receive me and I'd better arrange to get there then? Is the appointment automatically for a tour and a tasting or just the latter? How long does one normally stay at a single chateau if there's only 1 or 2 wines to taste? My guide indicates that some are free and some have a fee. Where they have fees, do you purchase a full glass, or how does that work? Anything that helps me understand the difference between a tasting say in Napa and in Bordeaux (Medoc, Pomerol, St. Emilion) would be very much appreciated.

Old May 21st, 2002, 05:58 AM
Julie

Sure would like to hear from some knowledgable traveller on this question. Anyone?

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:42 AM
Marilyn

Just make a reservation at Chateau Cordeillan-Bages and stay there. The managers at the Chateau will make reservations for you at the best wineries. This is all free for you as long as you have a reaservation at the hotel. We did this several years ago and had private tours at Latour among other prestiges wineries.

Chateau Cordeillan-Bages is in Pauillac. The fax number is 5 56 59 01 89.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:08 AM
at

When we did the same kind of tour previously, I wrote in to some chateaux to get appointments. Basically told them the period when we will be there and arranged for appointments. For other chateaux, we just drove by and asked if we could visit. Some have signs up which invite you for free tastings. Some chateaux such as Mouton Rothschild and Pichon Longueville in Pauillac organised (fee-pay) presentation + tour + tasting.
For some of the other smaller chateaux, there are no tours, but just tastings.
However, do note that almost all chateaux are closed from 12noon to 2pm for lunch.
We also joined a wine tasting session in Bordeaux, which was enjoyable. Have you plan the areas you intend to visit? Also, any favourite chateaux you might like to visit? And how long would your trip be ? Believe you will see the grape pickers in action in 2nd half Sept. Aside from the Margaux, St Julien, Pauillac, St-Estephe stretch, you may also like to visit St Emilion. The town is beautiful.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:43 AM
Julie

Thanks Marilyn and at for your replies. Marilyn, we already have reservations at the St. James in Boulliac on the road to St. Emilion, but the idea of writing to our hotel and asking them to make appointments is one we'll follow up on. at, so glad to hear that it is possible to ask at the chateau and be admitted immediately to some. Since I'm not sure how long things will take, I'd like to remain kind of flexible and still be able to stop at some places and taste. I am aware of the noon to 2 p.m. closing and am glad of it since I'm very excited to try to dine at Lion d'Or in Arcins, about which I've heard good things. We will arrive late on Sept. 16, spend morning of 17th in Bordeaux, then go to Pomerol/St. Emilion the afternoon of the 17th and stay there for the evening meal to give us time to see more of the town. We plan to spend the 18th in the Medoc/Margaux area. Your indication that the picking may be in progress during our visit is both exciting and somewhat concerning since my books suggest that many of the wineries shut down their tastings while harvest is in progress. Oh well, one way or the other, we'll be drinking Bordeaux.
Again, thanks to both of you for sharing your information.

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:09 AM
oforparis!

I would highly recommend that you write for appointments at Chateau Latour and Chateau Margaux. My husband and I had a private tour at Latour. Tour guide was a French woman who had studied at Berkeley and spoke English beautifully. First saw a movie, then tour of Chateau, then to the wine tasting- tasted 3 or 4 glasses.
Everything was first class- especially the wine! Lasted almost 3 hours. free.
Margaux was larger (10 folks) tour- international, but tour guide spoke English. Tasted some old vintages. Saw wine cave with vintages back to 1890's. About 2 hours. free.
We also made same day reservations at Pichon Longeville-beautiful Chateau-a nd Lynch Bages. Large tours, more like cattle call. I remember all tastings were free, but this was 4 years ago.
The Medoc is not very pretty, unlike Napa or Burgundy, but if you like Cabs- this is the place! St Emillion is quite lovely though. There are many tasting rooms right in the town. If you are in Pomerol, check to see if Petrus has tasting.

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:27 AM
Julie

Thanks oforparis, I do know from everything I've read that Ch. Petrus still does not permit tours. sounds like you had interesting tours. We will definitely be trying to book at Ch. Margaux. Also glad to know that you can arrange some tasting by calling the day you hope to be there. Does provide more options and latitude than needing to book appointments before you even get there and learn how hard or easy it is to navigate in the countryside. Thanks for your information.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
tania

Where does one find a guide to tour the chateaux?

Thanks,

Tania

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:10 AM
Jack

And aren't you duty bound to buy at least a couple of bottles at the end of the tour? I'd feel so guilty if i didn't!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:12 AM
Julie

The closest I've found to a guide on this is Access "France wine Country" It lists several chateaux for Bordeaux (and for other regions) but it's a little hard to interpret. Not sure if places listed open from m-f with no mention of need for appointment can just be walked into. I'd always heard that Bordeaux tastings were by appointment. Things like that. Oh, perhaps you mean a personal human guide! That I wouldn't have a clue about. I do know that some/many of the chateaux do not even sell theirs wines from the chateau so you are not expected to buy a couple of bottles for the road. They are primarily interested in acquainting you with their fine wines so you will buy (even collect) as they are available to you in stores and restaurants.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:15 AM
chris

We stayed in St. Emilian several years ago for a few days and made excursions into the surrounding area (Pomerol) -- and just stopped at likely places -- from grand chateaus to places that looked more like prosperous farms. Folks in that region are accustomed to people just dropping in.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:42 AM
Julie

Glad to hear that "just stopping by" works. Since I hate to be tied to a lot of appointments when I have no idea of how long it will take at each and in between, it's nice to know that you can just drop by and not be insulting.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. We will arrive in Bordeaux armed with much more information and confidence for wine tasting because of it.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:13 AM
StCirq

Julie: I wouldn't be too cavalier about "just dropping by" the big estates. I'd check with the Maison du Vin first (on the cours du 30 juillet in central Bordeaux, 05-56-00-22-88). The Château Lafite-Rothschild, for example, is not open to the public, and I believe that's true for others as well. Also, if you want to take advantage of tours and tastings, it's helpful to know what time to show up to take advantage of the best the château has to offer. With smaller estates, of course, it's more casual, and you'll see signs for dégustation literally everywhere.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:56 AM
tania

Where does one find a guide to tour the chateaux?

Thanks,

Tania

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:02 PM
StCirq

Tania: Most châteaux have their own guides. For information on times, and for tours to various châteaux,whre you'll most likely be given a tour by the staff or owners, contact the Maison du Vin.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Marilyn

We tried to buy wine at the wine tours that we went to, but some of them (Latour) would not sell the wine to us. They did give us free samples. The Chateau that we stayed at, Cordeillan-Bages owns Lynch-Bages and they made appointments for us and sent us a schedule where we would be going each day. We went to three private tours each day; six in all.

Old May 27th, 2002, 01:39 PM
kay

Another option for gaining access into premier chateaux is by having your local wine retailer - if you're familiar enough - make appointments for you. We purchase our wines from certain vendors in our area and have established a friendly relationship with them. They were more than happy to help with our plans in Bordeaux and certainly have the connections needed. We stayed at Cordeillan Bages - under some renovation but nice and fabulous food, albeit pricey.
My favorite chateaux - Margaux, by far.