Please review Vienna itinerary again ... thanks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted earlier about a possible Vienna itinerary. I've made some changes and added more details. Here goes:

Friday:

Schon Palace and gardens (9-1)
Return to hotel to check in and nearby lunch
Furniture Museum (2-3:45)
Mariahstraus walk back (3:45-4:30)
Leopold Museum and M of Modern Art (4:30-6)
Explore Spittleberg district (6-6:45)
Kohlmarket (7-7:15)
Chagal exhibition at Kunstforum (7:30-8:45)
Late dinner at Heurigen

Sat:

Hofburg – Library State Hall, Kaiser Appt, Albertina, Treasury, Augustine Church, parks (7:45 am – 2:00)
Kunsthistorices (2-6)
dinner
Opera at 7:30
Coffee/torte after

Sunday:

Walk around University area and park, pass by Votifchurch (before 9)
Historical Museum (9-10:15)
Belevedere and gardens (10:30-1:30)
Stadtpark and MAK (1:45-4)
Gemaldiegalerie (4:30-6)
Wein and Co for dinner/drink
Concert at Musikverin
Desert after at X-Celsor

Monday:

Jesuit church, Schonlaterngasse, Grieschenbeisl and Maria church and Graben shopping (7-9)
St. Stephens/tower and Peterskirke (9-11)
Kartenerhof walk (11:00-11:00)
NeueBerg museums (11:30-1)
Rathaus Tour 1 – 2 ???? (It’s in German; is it worth it?)
Lunch and Seccession Building (2-2:45)
Lich. Museum and park (3-5)
Back to hotel and dinner somewhere

I'm in my early 20s, love art museums and palaces and gardens, don't mind moving quickly and could easily skip lunch or have a quick bite if it means more time sightseeing.

I just can't fit everything in, but I've tried to include the activities that most appeal to me. Are there great sights that I'm missing out on, or crappy ones that I should remove?

Are there other church interiors (such as Votifchurch) that are worth a look?

Thanks! I'll be posting for more advice about restaurants and espeically about booking concerts/opera.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Joe,
Have you allowed time for purchasing tickets and/or waiting in lines? I always like to go to the gift shops at the museums, too, which adds time. Just something to consider. Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks; I forgot to mention that I'll be going in December, so I don't expect there to be as many crowds. But you do bring up a good point; I hope the lines aren't very long! For the Chagall exhibit, though, maybe I could book in advance to save time. I do enjoy spending a few minutes in gift shops, so I'll have to factor that into my times.

The big thing I wanted to ask about this itinerary is, is it too ambitious, or am I way out of line with my alloted times for some places.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:52 PM

All I can say is good luck. I love to settle in get a real feel for a city, Wien is one that I have spent weeks in and still come back for more. I hope you really don't feel so regimented by your schedule that you can't slow down and enjoy the wonderful Viennese lifestyle.
Life is not always in the fast lane.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Forgot to say that there are still many tourists in Wien in December, go EARLY to all palaces, museums, etc to avoid the multitudes of tour buses.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I guess Vienna at XMAS attracts a lot of people ... part of the reason I plan on going then. I think I still do have time for the Vienna lifestyle ... an opera, a concert at Musikverein, cafes, wine bars, etc.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Joe, I agree that Vienna has so much to offer that it is hard to choose. But you need to slow down as Operaman says to really appreciate what you are seeing. I lived there for 2 years and still didn't see everything, but my fondest memories are those sights I just stumbled upon while leisurely walking around the city. You have to always look up because the architecture is amazing.

As long as you are going to be in the area, check out the Greek Church right next to the Griechenbeisl.

I would also try to work in Karlskirche (Charles' church). If you can't tour the inside, at least try to see it at night when it is all lit up. Simply gorgeous!

At Schoenbrunn Palace, be sure to climb up to the Gloriette behind the gardens. From here, you have amazing views of the city. (This was the summer palace of Emperor Franz Josef.)
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think the Gloriette will be closed in Dec. I'm hoping the tower of St. Stephens will afford a great view; is there somewhere else I should look to get a great view of the city?

I'd meant to work in Charles' Church but forgot; that's something I'll need to add. It does sound great to just be able to walk around, as you said, to see the architecture, which I think I'll have lots of time for going to/from places. Should I try to take trams some, then, to see more of the city, as opposed to the underground? Would trams tend to take longer, though?

Is there a museum or two that could be dropped if need be: things I'm not as crazy about include The Furniture Museum, Rathaus tour (esp if it's in German), Neue Berg Museums (the only one I'd really be interested in is Ephesus) and the Secession Building.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:31 AM

I am of the opinions that you can go as hard as you like...but remember you are on vacation and want to enjoy your time...not burn out. you schedule is very demanding. i would say that outlines are good, but once you add times you add stress as your schedule can just get unraveled. just remember to stop and smell the roses too...sometimes it's the best part.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Perhaps I miss something as I come late to this posting but no mention of Christmas Markets. Your sightseeing takes you to or near many-example Schönbrunn. Some markets have some nice things.

Also you may want to reconsider Rathaus tour- not really interesting.

Tower at Stepensdom- has been under renovation for a long time. If it is still wrapped in construction material- do not go up- the view is greatly limited by this renovation.

Shopping on Graben among other visits on Monday ( 7-9)
Shops will not open until 9:30 -10.

The Gloriette is open year round- but can be a long cold walk in December.

Good place after the State Opera for soup, etc.- Cafe Sirk- just across the street.

I agree with above posters- take your time- take advantage of the Vienna Cafe.
Food, drink, newspapers, pastry and a good place to rest and get warm.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and for correcting some of my errors. I'll walk Graben when stuff is open, and I think I'll drop the Rathaus tour then ... it was a little out of the way anyway. I did want to wander around the Christmas market there for a couple of minutes; maybe I can do that when I am near the University area. I'd like to peak in the Rathaus (is this possible, or is it only open through tours)?, but skipping the tour could save me time.

I did plan to walk through the Sch. gardens even though it will be cold, so if I make it as far as the Gloriette I'll go up to get a view. If for some reason it's closed (I'd be going on Dec 8, a holiday, but I think the Palace will be open) or I wimp out, is there another place to get a birds-eye view of Vienna. I'll skip the Stephensdom tower if under construction ... but aren't there two towers? Maybe I could go up one if the other is out of comission.

Will the parks and Schon. gardens just be totally dead at this time of year, or can I at least walk through them to get a feel. They might be very pretty, esp. if there is snow.

Thanks for the cafe suggestion ... I do plan on enjoying a desert and just chilling out with warmth and newspapers Saturday and Sunday after the concerts.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM

We went to the Schönbrunn Palace in January on my first visit to Vienna (in 1984!) and I was very underwhelmed. The day was very cold and the gardens really were not interesting. If it were my trip, I'd skip the this outing, but I'm not much into palaces. And it may be different thirty years later! Since there's a Christmas market there, it might make a festive outing.

I have been back to Vienna twice in recent years. We were there the week between Christmas and New Year's in 2002, and over the New Year's holiday this year. The city was very crowded with people who were similarly all on holidays. It was quite festive, but there were lines at some of the museums we visited, especially the Kunsthistorisches.

As for church interiors, it depends on what you like. The Votivekirche is mid 19th c. My favorite church in Vienna (after the Stephansdom) is the 14th c. Maria am Gestade. It is a beautiful medieval gem, more untouched than the Augustinerkirche. Nearby is the wonderful St. Ruprechtskirche - 11th c. It has been locked the past few times I've visited it, but even from the outside it is amazing.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Hi Joe....seems that no one has mentioned two of my favorites...The Hundertwasser House (and his nearby Kunsthaus)and the Nasch Markt.
Lunch at the Nasch Markt is an experience...and Hundertwasser's architectural design is a sight that you won't see anywhere else.

Stu T.

Also, take in the Spanish Riding School (behind the Imperial Palace) for the rehearsal sessions in the mid-mornings.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks about the churches. I'm hoping to go Dec 8 - 11, so I hope to beat the crowds you saw at Christmas and New Years. It looks like the Gloriette viewing terrace is only open April - October. I'll have to be prepared to be disappointed in the gardens, as they obviously won't be anything like how they'd appear in the Spring or summer. It's reallyn frustrating, but I'm not sure what else to do ... most of the time I can travel for sure this year is in Dec or January, and that's of course when gardens and parks are ugly. I've had to knock other cities off my list for this reason. I still think Vienna will be nice in the Winter, as long as I limit my outdoor time somewhat and bundle up. All of those museums will help!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM

You don't have to go inside the Gloriette for the views. It's just that from the hilltop vantage point you can see all the surrounding area. If it's too cold, then don't do it.

I disagree totally with the poster who didn't think Schoenbrunn was worth seeing. Even if the gardens aren't at their peak in December, the palace itself is amazing and definitely worth touring.

I agree with other comments about the Christmas markets. I believe you had already included Maria am Gestade in your list which is why I didn't mention it.

See what you have time for and plan to do the rest on your next visit. Vienna is a place that's hard to stay away from.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Oh, this makes more sense. So the Gloriette is part of the gardens, on a hill that makes for a good viewing place? Is there a way to see the main ring of Vienna from a tall building, that would let me look at the tops of buildings from high up. I've always loved seeing places like Paris or Oxford from a tower ... is there something comparable in Vienna that would be accessible?

I'll definitely visit the Palace and the Maria church, and make my way past some of the XMAS markets. I'll pass by the Kunst and the crazy house and the Market. I'm not really into contemporary art or architecture, but they are so close to the Secession Building that I can at least pass by even if I don't tour inside. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Sorry, I didn't see Maria on the list. Vienna is wonderful in the winter. If you are lucky enough for snow, it will be even more beautiful. The fountains will be boarded up, but ducking into the coffee shops to warm up is such fun. And the art is fabulous no matter when you go.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Another place for excellent views of Vienna is from the Riesenrad (Ferris wheel of "Third Man" fame) over at the Prater amusement park. Take U1 to Wien Nord (Praterstern)station. If you have the time Gasthaus Hansy is across from the station, Heinestrasse 42, excellent local fare and excellent beer that they brew.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:23 PM

The Donauturm has great views but not of the Ringstrasse as it's too far away. But you can read about it and decide for yourself if you think it is worth your time. (A search on google.com turned up other websites as well.)

http://www.aboutvienna.org/sights/donauturm.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -