Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please provide suggestions or comments on my 1 day castles and ruins tour of England \ Walse

Search

Please provide suggestions or comments on my 1 day castles and ruins tour of England \ Walse

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2001, 03:18 AM
MarkJ

First, thanks for all the suggestions for my upcomming trip to England \ Wales. We will be staying near Hereford for 7 days. The first 3.5 days will be spent at the London Times Book Festival in Hay-on-Wye. So, I am working on our itinerary. I would like to spend 1 day visiting castles and ruins and have come up with the following day trip, please let me know if it's doable and your thoughts. <BR> <BR>Leave Hereford going south to Symonds Yat for the view of the Wye vally then continue south to Tintern Abby. From Tintern continue on to Chepstow for lunch. After lunch vist Chepstow castle. Turn north to Ragian castle then continue north to Llanthony Priory and finally back home. <BR> <BR>Any thoughts comments and suggestions are welcome. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:30 AM
ron

One photo op, one meal and four ruins - I think that would be doable in a day. Amongst the ruins, I would think Chepstow Castle and Tintern Abbey would be the must sees. Raglan is ok and I have driven by Llanthony Priory a couple of times without even bothering to stop.

Old May 16th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Dave

It might be more interesting, after Chepstow, to cross the Severn & go up to Berkeley Castle. Actually, if you left early, you could be to Berkeley by lunch and still have time to go up to Winchcombe to see Sudeley Castle. <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:05 AM
MarkJ

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I would appreciate any other ideas, comments or suggestions.

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:05 AM
kam

Mark, we really loved Raglan Castle. I don't know if it was because it was the first one we saw, but I clearly remember it as being one of the best. Chepstow is also great. In the book we used to research our trip, the itinerary below is suggested: See if this makes sense to your needs <BR> <BR>Monwouth via A466 the Tintern Abbey, take the A4136 the B4228 and the B4432 to Symonds Yat. Continue north turning onto B4227 to Goodrich. Cross the River Wye and take the B4234 to Ross-on=Wye leave on the A49 to abergavenny to Skenfrith and Skefrith Castle. Continue along the B4521 and then north on B4347 to Grosmmont the through the Golden Valley and on to Hay-on-Wye. Down to Brecon the Pontsticill, Talybont-on-Usk, Crickhowell to Abergavenny to Raglan to Usk to Caerleon to Penhow and finally on the A48 to Shepstow. Enjoy.

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Mary

Hi Mark, <BR> <BR>We did a similar trip a few years ago. Started with Tintern, then Chepstow and Raglan before continuing west. I'm with Kam. Raglan was among my favorites. I think it was the day - sort of dark and stormy and the place was deserted. On the other hand, my sister thought Chepstow was the best. Anyway - I wouldn't want to miss either! <BR> <BR>Mary