Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PLEASE!!! just a few questions on travel in Milan..

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Rachel Scandiffio

Thanks everyone who has helped me in my situation. You have all been conversing with my mother ( Denise Scandffio)...but now i have a few questions!! <BR>I need a little advice... <BR>What i think i am going to do is: <BR>I am going to arrive in Milan at 8:00 am by plane.....then.... I am going to take the Malpensa Express from the airport, which goes every 30 min, i believe, to the Piazza Cadorno. When i get there i will pick up my reserved ticket at the ticket office, where ever that may be? i'll find out....then... <BR>I am going to wait at Piazza Cadorno for a few hours until the 2:32pm bus comes. I will have a ticket so i will get a seat right? Then at 7:00pm i will arrive in Sienna...finally!!! <BR>If anything goes wrong there then i wil get on the Malense express at Piazza Cordono and go to the Eurostar (train) station, where i can catch the 4:00 train that will get me in Sienna at 9:00 pm....ok <BR>Please tell me if any of that is wrong. Am i going to and from all the right places?, and all the right stations at the right times? Sorry this gets a little confusing. <BR>On the way back i am planning to make a hotel reservation by the Pizza Cordona station..is that a good idea? And then the day of my flight at 10:30 am on the 29th i will just jump on the Malensa Express (at Piazza Cordona station.. right?) and go to the airport...is that ok? <BR>Please tell me if anything is wrong. That seems like my best situation. What do you think the approximate price to get from the Milan airport to Sienna will be? Can you give me any names of hotels by Piazza Cordona that wont be to expensive..? <BR>Thanks a lot for everything!, Rachel <BR>

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:55 PM
Howard

It seems to me that you are wasting your time sitting at the station waiting for the bus! If you want to wait 6.5 hours until you bus leaves, at least get out and see some of Milan instead of wating at the station. If you don't want to wait, I am sure there are earlier connections at least to Florence, from where you can go to Siena. You can also take a train to Siena...there is one leaving Milano Centrale at 10...arrriving in Siena at 3:05..you probably can catch this if you take a cab from the airport....there is also a train at 12, arriving in Siena at 5:05. You would not need res. for the train.

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:57 AM
SteveJames

Hello Rachel, <BR> <BR>There is a bus service every 20 minutes from Malpensa Airport to Milan Central Railway Station, journey time 50 minutes. Don't go to Cadorna - you'll waste a lot of time. Why go Milan-Siena by bus when there's a fast train to Florence? <BR> <BR>From there you can catch one of the trains Howard has mentioned to Siena, changing at Florence, - though personally I'd take the bus from Florence to Siena as this stops near Siena town centre. <BR> <BR>Steve James

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:36 AM
Steve James

- Your fares would be approx:- <BR> <BR> 8.000 lire Malpensa-Milan Central Station <BR>100.000-110.000 lire Milan-Florence return (Eurostar). (70.000 approx by Intercity train). <BR>7.000-10.000 lire Florence-Siena by bus <BR> <BR>If you manage to catch the 10.00a.m Eurostar from Milan, you arrive in Florence at 12.47. Florence-Siena by bus is 40-60 minutes, so if you don't have too long to wait for a bus you could be in Siena by early afternoon. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps... <BR>Let me know if I can be of any more help. <BR> <BR>Steve James <BR> <BR>

Old May 10th, 2001, 04:19 AM
denise

Dear Steve, <BR> <BR>This makes the most sense to me. So she should take the Maripensa express from the airport to the Milano centrale where she can catch the Eurostar to Florence and be there by early afternoon. Is this correct? From there the SITA bus to Siena (which I am familar with) to Siena. I would imagine this would be good for her return also. Is it easy to navigate around the airport to find the train? (is it train or bus) shuttle to the station? That shuttle takes one hour correct? The Eurostar would take about 3 hours?. I would imagine she could just ask directions to where the Eurostar service desk is. Do you know the web site for the Eurostar for time schedules? <BR>Should we make reservations? I can get my daughter who is there now to make them. Lastly ,(I hope) do you know any hotels where she could stay overnight to get her to the airport early the next morning? <BR> <BR>You all have been so helpful, <BR>Thanks, <BR>Denise (for Rachel) <BR>Both of us have unknowingly posted questions regarding this. Sorry for the duplicates.

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:14 AM
SteveJames

Hello again Denise/Rachel, <BR> <BR>From Malpensa, Rachel, you should take the BUS to Milan Central Station, NOT the Malpensa Express train (which does not go to Milan Central). For info on this service, which leaves every 20 minutes, see:- <BR>http://www.airpullman.com/shuttle/sh...ari/milano.htm <BR> <BR>From Milan Central to Florence there are trains at:- <BR>10.00 (arrives 12.47) (Eurostar) <BR>11.00 (arrives 13.47) (Eurostar) <BR>11.15 (arrives 14.29) (Intercity) <BR>12.00 (arrives 14.47) (Eurostar) <BR> <BR>For details and exact fares, see:- <BR>www.fs-on-line. (Mine above were guesses). <BR> <BR>Maybe someone else can advise on a hotel near Milan Cadorna Station before your return flight as I don't know that area of Milan. It should be a convenient choice, as the train service from there to Malpensa is every 30 minutes. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR>

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Jean Valjean

There is a Pendolino that leaves every hour, on the hour, from Milano Centrale to Santa Maria Novella (Florence). The trip takes 2 hours 47 minutes. <BR> <BR>Maybe you want to try http://www.sbb.ch/pv/index_e.htm for queries.

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Mark

Rachel - you're getting the same advice on 2 different threads!!

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Walter

Hi Denise/Rachel, Below is a recent past post of mine for taking the Malpensa Express Bus to the Centrale Train Station from the airport. If you plan on returning the same way ask for a round-trip/return ticket at the airport ticket booth, I *assume* it might just be 2 one-ways, this would save you the hassle of trying to find the bus ticket booth in the train station on your return. <BR>HTH Regards, Walter..... <BR>Author: Walter ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 4/09/2001, 3:47 am ET <BR>Message: This was from Terminal 1 and very easy, from clearing Customs <BR>after baggage claim to the ticket booth to the bus stop are all just a "stone's throw" from each other. Regards, Walter Author: Walter ([email protected]) Date: 03/29/2001, 05:18 pm ET If you decide on the bus it's very easy: After you clear customs and enter into the terminal, the door exits are all marked. Inside between exit 5 & 6 is a ticket counter with a sign above it "Airport 2000". The bus stop is outside between exits 4 & 5. So after you buy your tickets go outside thru exit 5 and turn left and 20M ahead is bus stop No.4. My bus did make 1 stop before the train station but you'll know the station, you pass under the tracks and turn right & stop alongside the (long) train station. I believe the ticket was only 8,000L which surprised me because in my planning notes I had ~13,000L and I started to worry that I bought the wrong ticket. It wasn't crowded when I took it earlier this month but I have read one post of a crowded pushy mob trying to board the bus. So have a Plan "B", peek outside if it's crowded go downstairs and take the train and a Metro or taxi to the station. <BR>

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Walter

Hello Again, This is another post that walks you thru the FS Italian train website. Regards, Walter...... <BR>&lt;&lt;&lt;Go to www.fs-on-line.com/ click-on "English", (Also later check-out the other click-ons "Agencies, Special Offers, On Line Ticket Office etc) Now type-in your 2 cities and use Italian spellings only (Roma, Firenze, Venezia, Milano, Napoli etc), type-in your "dates & time" and then click-on "Search". (NOTE schedule is only valid until June 9, 2001 so for info purposes use any date before June 9 but one that is on the day you want to travel, meaning a Monday or Sunday etc. Also schedules rarely change esp for ES & IC trains so the train & time will probably be valid after June 9) <BR> Once in the timetables to find the fares and connection info, to the left of your train under the "Select" column either click-on the train's <BR># (1,2,3,...) or the "red square/triangle". If your fare *isn't* listed go to the bottom of that page click-on "Fares" and the next page under "Seats Number" type-in number of seats you want *most likely* next to the "Standard Fare" line. Choose "seat reservations" and your "Class" (1st/2nd) if they are options and click-on "Fares". I haven't done it but you can now buy your tickets on-line directly thru their website. ***Now _sometimes_ only with the *smaller* cities/towns, when you click-on "Search" it brings you to another option where either or both the "Arrival" or "Departure" stations has a "pull-down" of 2 or more choices of stations, *there is a glitch here* and you will just go around it circles unable to choose one, you will keep getting a "pop-up" on screen. So just choose your station and hit the back button and start your search again but this time *type-in* the *specfic station name*. Example: Verona will give you 3 different stations just go back and type-in (in my case) Verona Porta Nuova. <BR> <BR>