Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help with transportation in N. Spain

Apr 4th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

I've purchased a 5 day parador card and want to use trains and buses to get to the following:
Madrid--Avila
Avila-Salamanca
Salamanca-Leon (2 nights)
Leon-Segovia
Segovia-Madrid

From my research so far, it looks as if trains and buses are options...which would be best?

Also, the portion I'm most confused about is Leon-Segovia...do we have to go all the way back to Madrid?

Thanks for your help.
Apr 4th, 2005, 03:52 PM

just so you know.. the bus system is excellent.. and there are even luxury "express" buses on some routes.
Avila/salamanca should have it.

sorry i don't have more info.. but depending on where your hotel is located.. it just might be easier in some instances to take the bus. both will be about the same speed in that part of country, but the bus will be cheaper.
Apr 4th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Hi Artlover,

I guess your trip is getting closer!

Last year I went to some of those sites ( and others). I used the bus system for all my travel. I find it more convenient than the train since it's easier to load the lugagge( it goes in the "belly" of the bus)
I have some websites for you:

Madrid - Avila www.lasepulvedana.com
Avila - Salamanca www.auto-res,net
Salamanca- Leon- I found the schedule but they don't say the name of the bus company:
http://www.guia-digital.com/salamanc...orte_buses.cfm
I took that bus last year. I think the name of the company was either Empresas Zamora or Empresas Vivas. I'm sure your hotel in Salamanca could help you with it

I don't know if there is a bus from Leon to Segovia. You might have to go back to Madrid. I'm sure Maribel would know.

Good luck and please write a report when you come back!
Apr 5th, 2005, 05:36 AM

In many cases, Paradores are not in the center of town (unless the town is very small, like Limpias, Fuente Dé or even Santillana del mar); so you might have to taxi from the bus station or get off the bus in what would appear to be the middle of nowhere and walk to the Parador.

You may be able to catch a bus Léon to Burgos and another Burgos-Segovia without having to go back thru Madrid.
Apr 5th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much lincasanova, cruiseluv, and NEDSIRELAND--the information is so helpful. Yes, it looks like the buses might be a better way to go, and yes, we'll probably taxi from the bus station to the paradors.

Yes, it's getting closer and I'm working out the transportation now. I will check out those websites immediately.

Thanks again.

Maribel--anything to add?