Search

Please help with Italy questions...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with Italy questions...

Hi Everyone,

I posted for the first time about two months ago, asking for some input for a birthday trip to Italy. Due to the suggestions and posts on this board, I was able to plan everything from a driver pick up at the airport in Rome, to how to buy tickets to a soccer match. Our itinerary is: Rome for 3 days, Bologna for 3 days, and Pienza area for 3 days in that order. Thanks so much for all of your help! If I could impose just a little more....just a few questions:
- We will be arriving on 11/2 and staying through 11/12....should we expect cold weather? Light jackets or coats? Rain?
- Would you recommend renting a bike or vespa in Rome? Or is on foot just as easy to get around?
- In Rome, although we’re planning on checking out the major sites, we’re not really tours or museum people, we prefer to walk a lot, and explore and of course eat! (we’re both chefs). So, other than the Scavi tour, we didn’t reserve anything else, and don’t really want to, but is there anything that you can think of that we can do, or see, that’s more off the beaten path?
- We will be traveling by train from city to city.....is it best to reserve the tickets now, or is it just as easy to purchase them at the station on the day of travel? And what do you recommend....first or second class?
- We’ve rented a car for Pienza, which we will be picking up in Chiusi.....Can you recommend a good driving map for that area? Actually make that a GREAT (and easy) driving map....we’re both somewhat “map illiterate”
And of course if you can think of anything that I might not have asked about....I’m happy for any and all suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Hello MartiB,
We'll be in the same places at about the same time - per a post I just posted, question about rental car. Where in Chiusi (what company/location) are you renting the car?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Hi,
I have been in Rome that time of the year and would definitely be prepared for cold weather and maybe rain. I ended up buying a jacket there that was a favorite for years. Rome is a great walking city. I personally wouldn't be up for biking or scooter due to traffic and unfamiliar driving styles there. I loved just walking all day and discovered a restaurant called Abruzzi that was marvelous (but this was many years ago). Regarding the trains, I have not had a problem buying them there but arrive early to be sure to figure out the system. I have done first class and second class and I prefer to go second class because you are exposed to more real Italian people that way. Have a great time!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Just back from 3 weeks all over Italy. We loved Rome. St. Peter's is a must see....no lineup unless you want to get into the dome of the basilica. It looks like there are lineups from the square but we found that they were just checkpoints to check your belongings and once through the line (5-10 minutes), we walked right into St. Peter's. I would not recommend a vespna in Rome, or any other city in Italy for that matter. The drivers are crazy and are very used to the eratic way they drive. Florence is worse than Rome. I was taken out by a crazy Italian lady on a bicycle on a sidewalk in Florence...she didn't even try to use her brakes and slammed right into me! We had no problems walking all over the city. We did not take one bus or taxi. We love to walk, although it is easy to get the city bus. We stayed near Trevi Fountain and walked everywhere. I was amazed at how close together most things are. We only reserved the Vatican Museum. There was only a short line up at the Coleseum and none at the the Forum. I think that reading about the places you are planning to go to ahead of time, or bringing one of those guide books with you when you go is all you need. I do not even think we got our money's worth out of the guided tour of the Vatican museum. Do not miss the Sistene Chapel!

We drove and took trains. I would recommend a map of Italy or a detailed map of the region you will be driving in.The roads are not clearly marked, at least not by our North American standards. Getting on and off the main Autostada can be challenging.

Our travel agent booked first class train tickets before we left. Not sure what 2nd class is, but we had reserved seats and they were very comfortable. Luggage goes overhead, although one train had a section at the front of the car for luggage. No worries about safety of your bags. We had heard people saying to bring a chain and lock to lock your luggage up on the train...absoultely not necessary. You can visualize the area from your seat and I can't imaging anyone being able to lug our suitcases out to steal them anyway! I did not take the advice of countless Fodorites and traveled with a 28 inch suitcase. It was awkward and if it wasn't for my husband, I would never have been able to lift it up to load it on the train.

We just returned Oct 3....no jackets required. A light shawl or sweater for evening is all that we needed. It is still hot in Rome.

Hope this is helpful. Have a great trip!

Janie

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Great info so far. Thanks! I'm most worried about the weather. I don't mind the cold, but hopefully it won't rain, especially when we're in Tuscany.
Dorkforcemom....I rented the car from Hertz and will be picking it up at a location at the chiusi train station. I prepaid for a 3 day rental (you get a break that way) and the total rental cost was $218.00 USD, which includes insurance, but not the extra driver (that is 5 euros per day, which must be paid at the station). I'm also going to add some extra insurance to that, can't remember what it's called right now, but that's about 15 euros per day, which must also be done at the station. So, all in all, not a bad deal.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:32 AM

The weather will probably be cool & may rain; but it may also be warm in the sun, so layer.

Don't rent a bike or a scooter in Rome or you'll be dicing with death ! (Crossing the road is bad enough.) Just walk, or get buses for the occasional longer journey, e.g. to the Vatican if you are not staying near there. The buses are very easy to use & have routes on the bus stops. Buy tickets from news stands.

For 3 days, just plan to wander round the major sites and soak up the atmosphere in the Centro Storico.

I've always just bought train tickets when I arrive at the station ready to leave. It's very easy, using the self-service machines which have an English option. If you are near Termini during your wanderings around Rome, you could pop in & check the timetable if you feel like it, to give you a time to aim at leaving. Then just check the timetable for your onward legs on arrival at each subsequent destination.

For driving we've always used the Touring Club Italiano maps which are generally recommended as the best. You could order the ones for the regions you are visiting from your local bookshop. You could also go to www.viamichelin.com and print out routes.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Caroline_Edinburgh...Thanks for the info. Would you say that the printed maps from the Michelin site are fairly reliable?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM
MaureenB

I have never seen such crazy driving as in Rome! Take a cab ride if you want a thrill. Definitely do not rent a vespa or a bike, unless you have a death wish! Drivers there show no mercy.
>-

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM

when driving in Italy,remember..

1.Speed limits are only a suggestion.
2.Road signs are very small and sometimes AFTER the turn.
3.Italians park anywhere.
4. Never drive any mode of transportation in a city. NO BIKES IN ROME.
5. Expect a vehicle coming right at you in your lane on every curve.

hae a fun time and keep a sense of humor.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Hi MartiB

Here's a link to the Touring Club site where you can order maps. They are the best.(IMO) http://tinyurl.com/2u4y69
Have you considered a GPS in your rental, since you say you are "map illiterate"?
Also, are you aware that you will need an International Driver's Permit for Italy?
Here's the info and application link:
http://www.aaa.com/Vacation/idpc.html
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Just thought of another helpful link. You can print out all the road signs and their meaning. It can prove very helpful.
http://tinyurl.com/33l5p8

Also on this sight is a list of all the driving rule and regs for Italy.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Another vote for no vespa...my brother and I are pretty adventurous but even I talked him out of a vespa - the driving is crazy ...doesn't look like something you want to do unless you are somewhere very quiet and uncrowded...
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! ordering the maps now
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:12 AM

My favorite Rome book is full of off-the-beaten-path things to see. And it's small enough to stick in your bag and bring with you.

http://www.amazon.com/City-Secrets-Rome/dp/1892145049
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM

I highly suggest GPS rental from the car rental agency, if they have them. I am a great navigator (at least my husband tells me that) and I love reading maps. We were just in Italy for 12 days w/o a GPS (sometimes the road signs aren't that good) and 8 days in Hungary with a GPS. Loved it, wouldn't drive again in Europe without a GPS. This was our third trip driving in Italy with only a map, on our next trip we will have a GPS.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although you say you're not museum people, I can't imagine going to Rome and not seeing the Gallerie Borghese for its sculpture collection. If you skipped the art of other media, you could view just the sculpture in about an hour. A reservation in early November may not be imperative, but I would still highly recommend one.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Hi Everyone,
We are leaving for Italy this Friday. The Fodors guidebook says an International Driving Permit is not necessary...is it absolutely essential to get one before we go? What will happen if we don't have one? We are renting a car in Florence and driving to Radda in Chianti.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

sunsetbay...I am renting a car from Hertz and they told me that I absolutely needed an IDP. My bf will both be driving, so we were advised to both get one. It takes about 15 minutes, $15, and 2 passport photos to get it at your local AAA office.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Thank you. We are renting from Auto Europe and they never said a word about it. If I hadn't been surfing this site I would never have known!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:54 PM

better safe than sorry...
get the international drivers permit.

i have been asked for it at car rental places in France and Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -