Please help with a brief Iceland trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2018, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (family of 4, kids are 10 and 7) are going to visit friends in Copenhagen in early August and thought it would be fun to add a second leg to our trip. The one place we could all agree on is Iceland. We are in the very early stages of planning so please bear with me. The ideal plan is to spend 3 or 4 days in Iceland before heading to Copenhagen.

Reading other posts on this topic, I'd like to try to do the things below but can't for the life of me figure out how long to spend where and in what order. Can you help? And am I forgetting anything essential?

Day 1:
Spend the first day exploring Reykjavik

Day 2:
Rent car and drive towards Vik, Stay overnight in Vik but where specifically should we stop?
Waterfalls and black sand beach?

Day 3 Jokulsarlon lagoon? Maybe this is too far if we don't want to spend hours and hours driving?
Is there some sort of ice cave and/or glacier climbing tour we can do in the summer?
Then stay in Vik again?

We'd also like to see Secret Lagoon and Seljavallalaug geothermal pool or something similar. So, do this day 4 and head to CPH in the evening?

As you can see, I have no idea what I'm doing and would love some guidance. Thank you.
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 06:28 AM

Hi There! Too bad to see that nobody responded to your original post :/

Where did you end up going / staying / etc...?

We are also a family of four (kids 12 and 14) and will be doing a quick stopover in Iceland on way back from London, this Spring 2019. Our trip will be brief, but we'd love to hear what you decided to do on your travels across Iceland. TIA
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 12:16 PM

Hi!
This comes quite late but maybe it is helpful for another reader

You should not miss reynisfjara black sand beach. Vík is a tiny village, so you will be able to see most of it while heading to the black beach.
Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss are the top waterfalls in the area.
Icecaves cannot be done in the summer cause the ice is not as thick and hard as it should be. Try the Skatfell area, close to Jokursarlon which has an amazing Vatnajokull glacier tongue for climbing.