Reload this Page >

Please help me SEARCH for info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 06:15 AM
Lydia

Please help me with this business of SEARCHING. I've gone into a specific searh engine and typed in the name of a hotel that I've heard about, but it shoots out 13,467 replies, some even referring to Malaysian businesses. Am I doing something wrong? I would like to see what has been written about this hotel on all the websites listed under a search engine - is this at all possible or am I dreaming?

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 06:23 AM
cheryl

Some of what you want is possible, but not all of it. First of all, try typing in the name of the hotel+city. This should narrow down the options considerably. However, it will not necessarily find all references to the hotel within text. It will find the website for the hotel, and perhaps some references to it. But, for example, when I type in the Andrews Hotel+San Francisico, I get the website for the hotel and several websites of booking agencys which handle the hotel. I do not however get the references to this hotel within the Fodor's forum. Maybe someone else can give you some more hints, but this is the best I can do. Good luck.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 10:51 AM
Lydia

Thank you, Cheryl - I'll certainly try this. Hope that "someone" is still out there somewhere!

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 12:48 PM
Tony Hughes

Lydia, try using inverted commas """ like those and put the correct name of the hotel and area in between ...for example ... "Hotel Crapbags" "Paris" <BR> <BR>Give it a shot, bud ...

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 01:21 PM
elaine

<BR>For searches within this Forum, <BR>you will do very well in getting information if you are patient. It sometimes takes up to an hour for it to search for me, Sometimes I have to stop it and try it again, and it searches immediately.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 06:11 PM
john

I think the problem is that your search engine is only recognizing the word "hotel" and that is why it is returning 13,000 replies. I find it easier to type in the city or country and then narrow it down to hotels. My search engine requires the "+" symbol between words to return the whole term rather than returns for each word. Sometimes it works and sometimes it dosen't. When it dosen't, I do the country and/or city search.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 10:30 PM
April

Also, try different search engines. <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 11:01 AM
Lydia

Thanx, everybody - I'm beginning to feel like a boffin!

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 11:07 AM
Helen

Lydia- don't make me do a Web search for this! What's a boffin??