Reload this Page >

Please help me find an attractive travel purse

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
annieladd

Here's what I'm looking for. A purse with shoulder strap that I can wear across the body and lay flat. Something large enough I can put a travel book in. Something that doesn't scream "travel purse". Something that is fairly light weight. Maybe even something a bit chic. Any ideas? annieladd

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope someone has some good suggestions for you because I'm looking for the exact same thing (and have been unlucky in my search so far)!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:33 PM

Me too!!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM

I have this one and it doubles as a fantastic carry on. It is great for day use when shopping and has zippered inside pockets. Also, the shoulder strap is adjustable.

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSe...temID=59575642
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM

I have one by Hobo International - they have several that match your criteria. The one I like has a flat organizer with a pouch in the front. The pouch holds my camera, a small sunscreen container, lipstick and a few other small things. The flat part holds the rest. I've used on several trips and really like it.
www.hobobags.com

How about this one:
http://tinyurl.com/g8tk3

I saw it last week and thought it looked promising for a future purchase.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the links because I have been looking too!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM

Mountain Equipment Coop has a large range of packs, shoulder and computer bags that look more casual if that's what you want.

www.mec.ca
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM

I absolutely love my collection of Hobo International Bags (different bags for different purposes). Often you can find them at TJMaxx (for a fraction of the prices elsewhere). With web searches, you can find all the different styles (some sites have better photos/views than others), then price shop.

My latest favorite is this one http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/p...CJPHHLNCC&

This one has an inside section, with recessed zipper (for security) (also with inside zipper pocket) large enough small essentials and a paperback or tour guide. On one side is an outer pocket, with inside slip pockets (for cards, camera, pda, phone...) with double zipper pulls, which are fabulous for security. when pulled to one side or the other, even twist-tied together if you like. (Those thin black twist ties from the grocery store bakery are invisible.)

On the other side is an open (with hidden magnets) pocket, great for maps, notes, slim guides (such as a MapGuide), while out and about, or securing your passport and boarding pass at the airport.

This bag is made of gorgeous and durable microfiber. Though leather is dressier, it's not practical when it's raining... I love the wider (comfortable, even over your forearm for a long while...) shoulder strap, which is easily adjustable all along (for across the body, shoulder, or handbag that doesn't drab on the ground when your arm is relaxed), and the straps are attached to one side of the bag, so it lays flat nicely. It's not too big, not too small.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM

These might be a little too casual, but are cute http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/4496340/c/57591.html - Also probably more casual than what you're looking for, but timbuk2 bags are the BEST for travel! The metro is a perfect size for a digital camera and a travel guide.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM

DJK - I think your suggestion might be MY next travel purse purchase! thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM

I bought one at Wilson's Leather a few years ago that is my absolute fave and has gotten raves from my travel friends.

It had everything you asked for, long strap across the body, there was a small snap pocket in front where I put my sunglasses and lip balm, it is kind of squared so my wallet AND my digital camera fit in the main area, then the back actually zipped open like a portfolio and that was where I kept my passport and two credit cards. On the back of that is a little zippered compartment where I store all my receipts. It is also nice leather so it could pretty much go anywhere. That said, don't know if Wilson's still has the bag but you could check it out.

Oh, best part? I got it on sale
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM

I really like my Kipling (altho the color in this photo is not as attractive as mine, I actually have the hot pink - the 'new black').

http://www.luggageonline.com/product...roduct_ID=1793

Why?
1) Its 'crushable', so I pack it in my daypack for airplane flying so it doesn't get 'lost' while overnight.
2) Its lightweight so doesn't add bulk or weight
3) adjustable shoulder strap so I can wear messenger style
4) When spending the day with my SLR and lenses, I put entire padded camera bag into this purse. Admittedly, it doesn't hold much else, but I'm not carrying around an ugly camera bag advertising expensive equipment.

They are sold at luggage stores, so you can check them out before you buy and not pay shipping.

Oh, the angst over bags... good luck
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM

I just bought one at Eddie Bauer, but they don't have it online to show. I also bought this one from Nine West:
http://www.ninewest.com/s?namespace=...&cid=1005#

Nine West has several different styles and colors of messenger bags.

I also saw a cute one at Coach:
http://www.coach.com/aspx/content/pr...ategory_id=647

I am waiting to see what the one from Nine West looks like and will either use it or the one I got from Eddie Bauer.

Let us know what you end up buying.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM

Do you carry these bags while touring through a city? If so, aren't you afraid that someone will slash the strap and steal your stuff? I do need something for our trip in May, so let me know.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM

Hi Mari - the one I've been using is leather and has a thick strap so I haven't worried too much. When I'm in a crowd, I hold the strap with one hand. I also don't take it off during a meal, I just move it to the side so it isn't in my lap. Have a fun trip!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM

Mariamack---Magellan makes a leather bag with steel cable hidden in the strap so it can't be cut.

Personally, I prefer a small (6" X 7&quot leather bag which is both more comfortable and more attractive than a large bag. I wear it diagonally (across my body) and have never felt the least bit "at risk" in any city. It will not carry a book; I put my book, water bottle, map, etc. in a separate tote bag. Nothing that I would care to lose goes in there---but still I have never had a problem.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:45 PM

Take a look at the lesportsac line. The bags are very light weight AND washable, and they come in a variety of shapes and colors, some pretty florals. I have several, but the one I travel with has pouches on both sides (one for sunglasses, one for keys or a cell phone), two outsize and one inside zippered compartments, and a zipper around the bottom that allows you to expand the bag when you need more space. Very versatile!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM

I just bought this one. Very lightweight, and of course, black. Lots of pockets and zippers. LOVE it.

http://www.ebags.com/kipling/caronia...?modelid=19147

This will work for most sightseeing. At night I will probably downsize to a smaller shoulder bag.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the information!
I found this posting useful.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM

You can get a Prada messenger bag with a wide strap on ebay -- I use the smaller size but a larger one would accommodate a travel book. The length is adjustable, and I wear it crosswise as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -