Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me choose between 2 London apartments.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found two apartments available for a few days in June. Prices are comparable and size is right for 2 adults and 2 pre-teen children. Our plan is to hit major tourist sites around town, shop a bit, eat at reasonably priced pubs or restuarants, and see a show in the West End. I think both look good. Any feedback on locations?

1. Address: Woods Mews and Park Lane, right off Hyde Park, in Mayfair.

2. Address: Pretty France and Queen Anne's Gate, right near pretty much everything touristy.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Also, we will be flying into Heathrow and training out to Paris at the end of our 3 days. Don't know if that makes any difference in responses. Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM

I'd go with Mayfair myself. It's nice being close to the V&A and Nat history museum, of course, but Mayfair is more central, and it is nice being near the park. Both of them sound very nice, though, and Queen's Gate has a good bus to Picadilly and West End.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM

The Wood Mews/Park Lane address is walkable to more restaurants, I think, in more price categories (including Pizza Hut), and for the energetic, within reach of charming Marylebone, where you will find a lot of great food shopping and nice eateries, both fun and formal.

The Queen Anne's Gate location is a nighttime bore with few restaurants and probably even fewer markets. I don't recall seeing one (I've stayed in hotels near there.)
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Oh, sorry. I should know better than put my oar in by now. I was thinking Queen's Gate, not Queen Anne's. That certainly is near everything touristy, isn't it? Resolved: keep mouth shut.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wood Mews, definitely, with two pre-teens. Practically within breathing distance of Hyde Park (think open air concerts starting in June -- Kings of Leon, for example), loads of pubs (some old favorites of mine) around every corner, and a hop, skip and jump from Oxford Street, crowded, but good fun. Closer to Hamley's as well, if your kids still like toys (don't we all?!).
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 02:57 AM

The only arguments for Petty France/Queen Anne's Gate are that (a) you're right round the corner from the Metropolitan Police HQ, so shouldn't have too much trouble with potential burglars, and (b) you can walk into St James's Park very quickly. In general, it's predominantly an office/government/commercial area. Any nightlife tends to the downmarket (around Victoria station) and most shops are focussed on office-workers dashing in and out.

You'll find Wood's Mews much nicer, with just as good or better transport options, and much better shopping and eating options. Though personally, I wouldn't touch Hamley's with a bargepole these days, let alone with children in tow.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I just booked the one at Woods Mews, Mayfair. Feeling happy!
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:15 PM

CaolineM... we are planning basically the same trip you are...London then training in to Paris with two pre-teen children. I'm looking for an apt in that same area... would you be able to share info on where you booked??
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

lb8618 - We booked though HomeAway (ID#438083) for London. In Paris, we were able to use one of the companies often recommended here (vacationinparis), but I wasn't having success with similar sites for London (for only a 3 night rental). It was tedious, but I spent a lot of time on the HomeAway and VRBO websites, and sent emails to any place that looked appealing. We will be there in 3 short weeks, and I will try to remember to post a review once we are back.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM

CarolineM.....tried your number on HomeAway and said no such number. Could you double check that number as I am interested in viewing it for our trip next year