Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please give me any last minute warnings before I commit to Orbitz.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Sherry

I have been searching and searching for a decent fare to Rome in May. For some reason, I checked just about everyone BUT Orbitz. Well, I just checked and the fares are awesome. They are even almost $100 cheaper than the last time I checked Hotwire. With a weekend surcharge, we are talking about $530 from PIT. So. For someone who is gunshy about booking on something other than an airline site, I would appreciate any last minute advice or warnings. Thanks so much.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:54 PM
sandy

I've tried them several times but ALWAYS found that the airlines' websites beat their price (even the last-minute weekend fares) and without a service charge.<BR><BR>I've just about given up on them.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Sandy

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Tamara

I just purchased tickets to Spain from Orbitz on Tuesday (about $200 cheaper than I could find anywhere else). I requested paper tickets and they arrived by FedEx (additional $15 charge) yesterday. It was my first experience buying from Orbitz, and it went very smoothly.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Jim

Sherry,<BR>I've used Orbitz and if their price is better-Grab it.<BR>I have never been able to duplicate their prices using an airline direct.<BR>When I've asked them about this, they merely say, they probably are a consolidator. Sherry go for it!!

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Sherry

Sandy. Always before checking with them I have found them to be more. But I just checked US Airways, and exactly the same flight is $667. I guess I am just suspicious by nature. It is nice from here to be able to fly US Airways because the connections are so great.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Capo

I've got a question about Orbitz too. A friend sent an email to me about a one-day (today, the 14th) special from four U.S. cities (Seattle being one) to Geneva, Brussels, and Milan. In order to just check availability for a special fare like this, do I need to first sign in/register with Orbitz? Thanks.<BR><BR>(Hi Sherry! Good luck. If you haven't been to Rome before, you're going to love it.)

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Sherry

Hi Capo. I have been registered at ORbitz for some time. On the main page, they have an article titled something like "US Airways special fares to Europe". When I tried to look up my specific fare, they did ask me to login. So maybe it is something you have to do. I was in Rome for one day. And actually we are only spending two and a half days there this time. So much to see, so little time. So, we go again another time and see more. <BR><BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:21 PM
dee

I've had great experiences with Orbitz. I've used them twice for trips to Europe, and I've never had any problems: once travelling on SwissAir (3 weeks ago) and once travelling on Luftansa..(3 months ago). Just make sure you pay extra for paper tickets.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 03:06 PM
manny

Note to Capo. I do believe Orbitz does require you to be registered before you can enter your flight request. But there is not charge for registering.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Leslie

Capo, you don't have to register to do a search. You only need to register if you are going to actually buy tickets. You can register when you commit to the transaction.<BR><BR>I have used Orbitz many times and am a very big fan. Great customer service and they keep their word. I was one of those passengers that had purchased Sabena tickets through Orbitz. When Sabena filed bankruptcy, I received a full refund through Orbitz. I was told it would take 90 days to process, but I got my refund in 15 days.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Thyra

Well I used Orbitz, to book a flight to NYC, and then had to CHANGE the flight. The one thing I will say is that I never had to wait long on the phone to talk to a live person. I did pay $75.00 PP penalty to make another reservation, In all honesty, everything seemed to work out well so far, and you can tell a great deal about a company by the way they handle problems.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Capo

Thanks, Sherry, Manny, & Leslie.<BR><BR>So Leslie, I'm looking at this one-day special on SAS which says, for example, that there's a amazingly low roundtrip fare from Seattle to Milan of $254 (with a Saturday night stay required.) I put into about ten different date combinations and kept coming up with nothing even remotely close to that on SAS. So, from that, I guess I can presume that there are no seats available at this price for any of those date combinations. I thought that, in order to search for special fares like this, I might have to register, but apparently not. <BR><BR>It would be nice if one could ask for any date combinations still available for a particular fare (assuming one had that kind of flexibility of course) but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least on Orbitz. <BR><BR>Thanks again for your help.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Leslie

Capo, I like Orbitz so much, I'll tell you what to do. Call the Customer Service number and ask them to find the fare for you. If there are seats available they will find it. But, if Orbitz does find the fare, you will need to register, so if I were you I would register before calling.<BR><BR>I have had wonderful experiences with Orbitz. And Customer Service even calls you back if they don't have the information readily available. I've received personal email messages from them, telephone calls to my home and office, and even my cell phone.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Sherry

Thank you everyone. I did book. I am so tired of looking. I did pay the extra for paper tickets as per Tamara's comment. I received e mail confirmation and printed it up. I will look for the paper tickets. And now with all of the details taken care of I can go back to reading my new guidebooks.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Leslie

Sherry, you will receive another email message from Orbitz as soon as your tickets are shipped. They will send you a tracking number, so you can track your package through FEDEX.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:19 AM
marcy

Sorry I'm too late...466.00 thru a consolidator

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:38 AM
nina

Marcy, are you saying you found the same flight on the same dates for $466? Be careful when you compare prices that it is an accurate comparison.<BR><BR>Sherry I love Orbitz. I've consistently found the lowest prices there. I login every am and check flights I'm considering. Sometimes I compare and no one can ever beat their price on the SAME FLIGHT. I just bought 4 tickets last week that I couldn't touch anywhere else for the same price! Just be prepared to buy immediately when you see something, it may not be there the following day!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:44 AM
nina

ALso keep in mind that when a consolidator quotes a price, they generally neglect to include the hefty tax. They may quote $ 466, but when it comes time to pay, the total will be much higher!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:46 AM
jj

I must be missing something . . . I'm regularly checking several consolidators for air fare to Paris this summer, and Orbitz always has one of the highest rates.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:56 AM
marcy

I dont know the specific dates requested but i am traveling myself in early June and paid 466.00 for a consolidator ticket from my travel agent. Included taxes. I am going from Philly to Rome on AA. I get miles, seats assignments and a special meal. I couldn't find anything close to that on Orbitz. And I looked and looked everywhere elso too. Like so many say here, it pays to check every option available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -