Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please do tell- what is March like in Itlay

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Penny

I had to change plans from December to march for italy. I can not find anything under search. is the weather beautiful and sunny in march? or cold? Thank you!!!!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Book Chick

Well, Penny, it depends on where in Italy you're going to be! Rome is starting to warm up at that time & many of the trees & flowers will begin to blossom. In Milan and Venice, it's still kind of cool, cloudy & a bit rainy. Florence has better weather than that, but usually not quite as warm as Rome's, & with all the meteorological quirks that are attendent to being located in a valley. <BR>Hope this helps a bit, <BR>BC

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:15 PM
penny

I will be in Rome, Venice and Florence, so sorry!!!!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Margot

Dear Penny: <BR> <BR>My husband and I were in Rome with our infant daughter last March. The weather was unseasonably cold, and we were very unprepared for it! We'd brought sweaters, and I had a wool blazer, but we didn't bring heavy coats. We did have a coat for our daughter, thank goodness, but on the day we went to the Coliseum, it was so cold that even her heavy coat seemed inadequate. We went back to the hotel after 15 minutes. <BR> <BR>Some friends of ours (on the same trip) took a day trip to Florence and told us that there was ice on the road and that the temperature never got much above freezing. So, I wanted to warn you to be prepared. I think this was just a fluke, but next time we go to Europe in March I'll bring heavier clothing just in case.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:17 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Penny! I went in Italy in March of '94 and March of '01. Weather in Venice will be a bit more misty (makes Venice look very pretty) and colder than Rome. Rome will likely be in the 50's and 60's, maybe even low 70's if it gets sunny, while Florence and Venice will likely be in the 40's and 50's, with the possibility of dipping down if a cold front comes along, or getting to the 60's if it gets sunny. Besides a couple of sweaters, I always bring a coat, scarf, hat, and gloves and I have always used all of these items, at least one day. I also have pictures in which I was wearing only a long-sleeve shirt and no sweater or jacket, so it must have gotten warmer at least for a few days. <BR> <BR>So be prepared for anything from 30's to high 60's, but most of the time it will be in the high 40's to high 50's.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:45 AM
marj

We were in Italy March 16-26 '01. Started in Venice, weather cool and cloudy, 1 day it rained, temps probably in mid to high 50s during the day and about 10 degrees less at night. The rest of the trip was very sunny and warmer, 60-70s. The last few days in rome it was well in the 70's even hit the low 80s on our last full day. Like many other places, the weather is a bit iffy that time of year, but italy is charming in any weather. Just bring layers and a rain coat.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:01 AM
pam

Penny, <BR>We were in Rome and Florence Feb 28-Mar 8, 2001. It was rainy and cold some days, clear and cold some days and clear and almost warm some days. I had a waterproof coat with insulated liner, light wool jacket, light silk cardigan, silk turtlenecks and long underwear, trousers, wool socks and waterproofed shoes. Don't forget a woollen scarf or hat and gloves. I bought a pair of fur-lined gloves in Florence because my hands were so cold. It was down into the 30sF at night in Florence. In specific answer to your question, it could be beautiful and sunny AND cold...or warmish and rainy...or any combination of those. We also met a couple who'd been in Venice a few days earlier and it had snowed on them. Too, we saw, from the train between Rome and Florence, some snow on the ground. Take layers and you can manage any weather changes. I think it's a great time to be in Italy.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:04 AM
pam

Another thing to keep in mind is that it will be colder inside any buildings than it will likely be outside. Those old stone and plaster buildings hold in the cold from over the winter. So even if the forecast is warm, you'll be cool in your hotel and in museums/churches etc.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:08 AM
pat

We went in March 2 years ago. One day would be sunny and nice, the next rainy and cloudy. It was never cold enough to stop up from doing anything. We were in Florence, Venice, Lake Como, Cinque Terra, Trento, and the Val de aosta. We ended up in London where it poured just about every day!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Jenny

I was in Venice in March this year, and it was beautiful - I even got sunburned on my nose! Seriously, it was jeans and t-shirt weather, with a cardigan for evening, or inside the churches. <BR> <BR>Jenny

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Patti

HI--I was in Italy the last two weeks this past March. The day we arrived in Florence it was about 85 degrees, sunny and hot! Cooled down to 50s-60s during the day, 40s at night. From Florence south you'll probably just need a light jacket. March is a great time to be there--the crowds are bearable in the cities and practically non existent in the smaller towns. <BR>Have fun! <BR>Patti

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Thyra

We were in Italy in March in 1999 and 1998. One word VARIABLE! In a matter of days you can see 4 types of weather. <BR>Rain, freezing cold (Florence) Hot dusty and sunny (Rome). <BR>On the upside, fewer crowds and more atmosphere. <BR>Dress in layers and take your chances.. honestly unless you are specifically going to Italy to lay out on beaches you should be fine. Have a lovely trip.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Gerry

We were in Italy for 11 days in March of this year(March 14-26). The weather was in the 70's and partly cloudy. Perfect weather for sightseeing. It rained lightly for a few hours when we were in Florence. That was the only time I needed my jacket(and I didn't have it). Farther north, in Venice, they were getting rain but we did not go there on this trip. Weather in Italy is almost identical to what you would expect in California at that time of year.(I'm from California so its easy for me to guess the weather.) Variable: if a late winter, you can get cold spells and rain. If an early spring, you can get beautiful sunny weather and not too hot.