Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please critique an amateur's Itinerary...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

We're headed to Italy for our honeymoon from Sept 5-17th 2004, and I'm slowly but surely combing together the best recommedations from this and a few other sites for places to stay, things to do, etc. A number of reviews are immensely helpful - thanks in advance to those knowledgeable contributors!

Looking for feedback as to wether the length of stay in each spot is right-on, or should be tweaked. Here ya go:

Sept 5th: Boston - Newark - Rome(FCO) on Continental Airlines

Sept. 6th Arrive Rome - 2 nights: Not sure where to stay yet, but looking closely at Hotel Julia, Relais Banchi Vecchi and San Antica/Anselmo/Pio - feedback welcome!

Sept. 8th - Train to Florence - 3 nights: Tourist House Liberty in Double Jr. Suite (that's confirmed as of today).

Sept. 11th- Train to Amalfi Coast- 4 nights in Positano/Ravello (Again, no hotels confirmed as yet...we are on a budget, but also on our honeymoon - suggestions welcome).

Sept. 15th - Train return to Rome - One night free luxe hotel stay with AMEX points (hotel TBD).

Sept. 17h - Return to Boston via Newark on Continental Airlines.

OKay Prof's and Savvies - lemme have it!!! Thx in advance.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM

I am neither a Prof or a Savvie, but I have a feeling you'll get hammered with "Not enough time in Rome...that first day you're jet-lagged."

Good luck and congratulations!
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
rex

I am inclined to agree. Add one to Rome, possibly at the expense of Florence.

On the other hand, it IS your honeymoon.

Whatever your decision, congratulations on your new life in marriage... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:22 PM

Katietwin: Agree with the suggestion to adda day to Rome and take it from Florence.
With 4 days in Positano, you can take several easy day trips: Pompei, Pasteum, Herculaneum, Naples, Sorrento in the evening is very romantic. Don't mean you should do all of these, but they are some choices. There are others as well.
Congatulations and best wishes.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:43 PM

Not bad at all--what happened to the 16th? You seem to have 4 total nites in Rome--correct?
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys,

My fiance will be only too happy to hear people are rallying for more time in Rome (history fanatic). We do already have the reservation in Florence for three nights, but I left the 11th open as a gimme - so perhaps we'll head back to Rome a day sooner, on the 15th - instead of the 16th. VERY tough for me to rob the Amalfi Coast of any time, though...I shall have to think about this more.

Bob: Sorry - I omitted the 16th - we plan to train back from the AC on the early side, so that we can hoof around Rome on our final afternoon & night.

I'm not yet defeated as far as finding a place in Rome for less than 200E per night. The hunt continues...

Also, I have heard raves upon raves about a few places Positano & Ravello - They are, however, likely oozing with other Americans. We don't mind meeting a few other honeymooners, but does anyone have a suggestion for Positano/Ravello/Sorrento where we might be more enveloped by localites, without having to sacrifice views & a nice room/bathroom?

I'm looking forward to every minute of this trip. We're pretty laid-back people (depite my penchant for planning ahead...it's the bride thing taking over) -so I know wherever we end up, it'll at least be a great story for years to come!

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:39 AM
ira

Hi Katie,

Since you are also spending the 16th in Rome, I think that you have enough time there.

I suggest that you go directly to Florence upon arrival. It is a smaller, less hectic and confusing town than Rome. Then on to the AC and finish up in Rome. By that time you will have gotten your bearings and will be better able to digest Rome.

This thread might be helpful
Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ira! I definitely see your point about having gotten our bearings. I am getting the impression that Rome is hectic, and somewhat confusing - but invigorating at the same time. As a city-dweller who's now out in the heart of the Midwest, I am looking forward to getting back to some exposure to the craziness & diversity, even if on my honeymoon. We may change the dates in Rome, but not sure - I was rather thinking that the relaxing resort-like atmostphere of AC would be a nice way to finish out the honeymoon. We may be better doing Rome while we're still wired & adrenaline-charged from the wedding. We'll see!

Your reviews are superb, incidently. You'd give Rick Steves a run for his money. I have printed them out, and plan to tote them along when we go. BTW, have you any familiarity with the smaller hotels/B&B's he mentions in his '04 guide?
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:03 AM

I would do it the other way. I would arrive in Rome and go directly to AC. It might make a difference in the weather from the 6th to the 17th, and you will want to be able to swim. So, here is what I would do:

6th Positano
7th Positano/day trip to Capri
8th Positano
9th Positano
10th AM Pompeii, then train to Florence
11th Florence
12th Florence
13th Florence-early AM Rome-1/2 day
14th Rome/get tix in advance-Borghese
15th Rome/Vatican
16th Rome/Forum, Coll., etc.
17th Fly out
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
ira

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the kind words.

If you are looking for good value at bargain rates in Florence, I can highly recommend the B&B Peterson
www.bedinflorence.it

Also, if you are looking for a romantic honeymoon hotel at reasonable rates with agreat view from your private balcony, I cannot recommend Le Sirene in Praiano highly enough.
www.lesirene.com
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, bugswife, for the alternative calendar suggestion. I think we're pretty set on what order we do the cities - just not set in stone as to how much time in each.

Do you think it would be much colder on AC from Sept 11-15 than it would the week prior? We're not so concerned with swimming, but I was hoping to lie out in the sun a bit.

Ira: Thanks again for the link - the place looks spectacular. I think if we can manage 2 days in Positano, and 2 days someplace more quiet we'll be in good shape.

Has anyone ever stayed at Residenza Cellini (a'la Rick Steves) in Rome? Ane reviews/opinions on the location? We're hoping to walk to most sites.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:06 PM
ira

Hi Katie,

Wewere the the first week of October. It was sunny enough to become uncomfortably hot walking.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Cool, Ira - Thanks...that's what I wanted to hear! No such thing as uncomfortably hot to me.