Search

Please comment on Italy itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2005, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please comment on Italy itinerary

Hi,

Hubby and I are planning for our first trip to Italy and Greece. We've just purchased tickets (Yeah!) into Venice and out of Athens, and our total stay will be 17 days.

Our current plan is:
Flying into Venice
3 days in Venice
Train to Florence
3 days in Florence
Pick up rental car, explore Siena and other hill towns for 2 days
Drive to Rome, drop off rental car
3 days in Rome
Fly to Santorini, Greece
3 days in Santorini
Fly or ferry to Athens
2 days in Athens
Fly back to the States

Comments are welcome!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:06 PM

why Greece? I would spend all my time in Italy and extend the time in Tuscany..so venice, Florence, then a "wk in the country" inc Sienna (though it isnt country), then Rome. If you do go to Greece be prudent taking a ferry back from Santorini to Athens. Depending on the time of year, ferries can be delayed because of high seas.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:16 PM

I have been to both Greece and Italy. I could sort of agree that you might be doing a lot for the time but it is just a reason to go back to each of these countries to explore more areas. You have picked all the cities we went to and we enjoyed each one. Consider flying between Athens/Santorini if you save yourselves time. Though I hear the ferry to Santorini is recommended. We stayed 1 less day in Venice and did 1 more day in Rome but I think that is matter of preference. Venice is more romantic (some tourist things to see but not much it is more about just enjoying the city) Rome there is tons to see so it really depends on where you want to spend your time. I was not disappointed in any of the cities (we did not go to siena or that area).

Regarding hotels we were pleased with all except for Santorini just because of the location. Stay in Oia or Fira (I believe that are the names)

Check out these hotels to see if they meet your needs. We always look for hotels that have great location so we can walk to and from.

http://www.hoteltorreguelfa.com/
http://www.albergofirenze.com/
http://www.venere.com/it/roma/cesari/
www.sglycabettus.gr

You will enjoy your vacation
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:16 PM

I have been to both Greece and Italy. I could sort of agree that you might be doing a lot for the time but it is just a reason to go back to each of these countries to explore more areas. You have picked all the cities we went to and we enjoyed each one. Consider flying between Athens/Santorini if you save yourselves time. Though I hear the ferry to Santorini is recommended. We stayed 1 less day in Venice and did 1 more day in Rome but I think that is matter of preference. Venice is more romantic (some tourist things to see but not much it is more about just enjoying the city) Rome there is tons to see so it really depends on where you want to spend your time. I was not disappointed in any of the cities (we did not go to siena or that area).

Regarding hotels we were pleased with all except for Santorini just because of the location. Stay in Oia or Fira (I believe that are the names)

Check out these hotels to see if they meet your needs. We always look for hotels that have great location so we can walk to and from.

http://www.hoteltorreguelfa.com/
http://www.albergofirenze.com/
http://www.venere.com/it/roma/cesari/
www.sglycabettus.gr

You will enjoy your vacation

If you have never been to Europe before you will be exhausted the first day really try to stay up as last as possible that day to help you get adjusted.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please consider that you lose a half day when you change cities: checking out/into hotels, getting to/from stations, train travel time, etc. For that reason, I think you're giving yourself too little time in Florence, Rome and perhaps Athens.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:08 PM

I used to think that Italy and Greece were a natural pairing, but that is not really true. I agree to spend your time in Italy and then plan a 2 week trip to Greece next year.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 07:34 PM

I did a joint Greece/Italy trip in 2001. and it was terrific. The only thing that I would be concerned about with your itenerary is not having enough time in Greece. Santorini is a must, but my favorite was Mykonos. If you think you have the strength, do 2 days in Florence, 2 days in Santorini, and one day in Athens to fit in Mykonos.
Yo
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:36 AM

Hello,
In my opinion, I believe that Santorini is an excellent choice for holidays for all tastes. If I were you, I would choose airplane because it is faster and less exhausting.
Santorini is an island that is also recommended for honeymoons.
I have visited a site about santorini and kamari, a village next to sea, and i have found useful information.
Try it!!

www.kamari.gr

Have fun!!
Moschoula